DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Anyone tried dvd688.com ? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/301999-anyone-tried-dvd688-com.html)

gkaste 06-28-03 03:30 PM

Anyone tried dvd688.com ?

www.dvd688.com

Has anyone ordered from thie site before? We know about the free or cheap promotional dvds they were giving away, but how about the rest of them on the site? They seem to have some very good deals. Was looking for catch me if you can. It is only $10 on their site, and my shipping came to $4 for a few dvds in the cart. I would like to wait to order until I hear if anyone out there has tried this site and know if it can be trusted.

Thanks
Garrett

DVDude! 06-28-03 03:47 PM

When I visit the site, the first thing that pops up is a Microsloth window asking me to install a Chinese language pack. (Although I visit Asian sites, I still have yet to install a language pack; guess I will today, now that I'm thinking about it.) At any rate, this site is apparently in the US--based on their phone number--so why the Chinese? Hmm...

Other thoughts: no toll-free number, no physical address, shoddy command of the English language (not an insult--just stating it's not very professional), etc.

I'd pass. Prices seem too good to be true. You might end up with boots. (In fact, I know there was at least one bootleg DVD site with a similar name not too long ago.) Or you might end up with previously-rented copies.

gkaste 06-28-03 04:25 PM

I noticed the chinese text too, kinda weird. They do though say all movies are new and in origional packaging. The no toll free phone number is a good point, makes them look a bit shady, but they do provide a mailing address. They are also registered with the BBB.

Pael 06-28-03 05:11 PM

According to Melissa Data, the company (or their phone number at least) is based in Alhambra, California. Also, in their FAQ it's got this:

Q: Does DVD688.com sell any used merchandise?
A: DVD688.com sells both used and new merchandise. Please read "Conditions" for each DVD description.

So I suppose it sort of varies. Also a little shady that all their credit card processing is done through Paypal. I think Paypal has some kind of protection though if you make purchases using them though don't they?

Also, another thing in their FAQ sort of lists their address, but it could just be an address for returns:

Q: How do I return an incorrect order or damaged/defective merchandise?
A: To return an order that you received in error or where the product was damaged or defective, please use the return label found on the back of your invoice slip and ship items to the following address:
DVD688.com
117 S. Granada Ave. #2
Alhambra CA 91801

I don't know, I think the worst that would happen is you'll get a used DVD or something, but I don't think they'd rip you off. Like I say, even if they do, I think Paypal probably has some kind of protection if you pay through them. I say if the prices are good, buy one and see if it comes through ok, then order away. Anyway, hopefully that helps some people out.

Jah-Wren Ryel 06-28-03 07:53 PM

Originally posted by Pael
Also a little shady that all their credit card processing is done through Paypal. I think Paypal has some kind of protection though if you make purchases using them though don't they?
Might want research that before it is too late (iotw, don't count on it).

tori 06-28-03 08:39 PM

They tried to advertise their site on fatwallet for several times with innocent question like "is it a great deal?....blah, blah, blah....I'm in, try to order and see yourself". Some threads were closed some were "lost"- impossible to find. Anyway they were asking you to go to their bargain section where they sold some DVDs with chinese subs or "promos". People indicated to that and now they removed their "bargains".
They definitely sell bootlegs.