DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Best Buy Pricing Error on new Warner SE Titles (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/298106-best-buy-pricing-error-new-warner-se-titles.html)

dvdirv 06-10-03 11:58 AM

Best Buy Pricing Error on new Warner SE Titles

I went to Best Buy today to pick up the 4 new Warner SE titles: ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES, ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, GIANT & THE RIGHT STUFF.

At the register, they came up at $79.96 plus tax. I pointed out to the clerk that their weekly circular advertised $5.00 off for each two titles purchased, so the grand total should have been $69.96 plus tax.

She had to write up a manual correction and charged me the right amount.

I realize that this was a computer error, but since the combo price was advertised in their Sunday circular, the computer should have made the adjustment by Tuesday when the sale actually started.

This is just another reason why Best Buy is not my favorite place to shop!

tjr2mental 06-10-03 01:22 PM

So, because the computer made a error, and it was corrected for you with out hassle you hate the store? Nice logic there.

If you use that way of thinking you very well might hate every store that there is. No computer pricing system is without error.

dvdirv 06-10-03 04:01 PM

So tjr2mental thinks I'm making a big deal of a computer error?

If this was the only time Best Buy has done this, I wouldn't think much of it. However, it seems to happen a lot at their stores.

vaddarstepp 06-10-03 08:50 PM

Originally posted by dvdirv
So tjr2mental thinks I'm making a big deal of a computer error?

If this was the only time Best Buy has done this, I wouldn't think much of it. However, it seems to happen a lot at their stores.

Meesa also think you make big deal!

menaz 06-10-03 11:25 PM

I dont think there is much to complain about when they resolve any problems to your liking. If there is a problem with a price or whatever, and they immediately fix it without any further problems, in my book, that is excellent customer service, and a reason to RETURN to that store.

marty888 06-12-03 10:20 AM

I only stop going to stores that DON'T correct their mistakes.

FlashStash 06-12-03 03:32 PM

I have to stick up for the original poster....

I've found about 80% of the time, when Best Buy has a deal that is "Buy some combination of titles and get $x off" the register doesn't deduct it. I constantly have to show them the ad so they can manually override it. So while they do correct it when you tell them, there are people who should be getting the discount and aren't, and probably don't even notice it.

FS

gongon78 06-13-03 12:03 AM

Seriously, you should be lucky that the cashier did it without hassle. There are many instances where they would just make some excuse up or give you a hard time before giving in.

Tarantino 06-13-03 12:40 AM

I laugh at you, poster.

BigT 06-13-03 07:31 AM

This is the way Best Buy has always done it - the only mistake the clerk made was to fill out the manual correction form. While one might chide Best Buy for not programming their system to automatically deduct the advertised discount, it's not much to complain about. As for those who don't notice and don't receive their discount, well, that's their problem.

FlashStash 06-13-03 08:00 AM

Originally posted by BigT
This is the way Best Buy has always done it - the only mistake the clerk made was to fill out the manual correction form. While one might chide Best Buy for not programming their system to automatically deduct the advertised discount, it's not much to complain about. As for those who don't notice and don't receive their discount, well, that's their problem.
Bull....

I am the customer, I should not have to be watching to make sure that I pay the correct price for sale items. That's the store's job. Will I collect a paycheck for being the 'price accuracy associate' of the store? NO...if the store advertises a price, it is the store's responsibility to make sure everyone PAYS that price. I'm sure the FTC would be interested in stores who advertise one price and put a different price in their systems.

FS

BigT 06-13-03 07:37 PM

I happened to be in Best Buy today to purchase two of the titles featured in the "$5 off any two" offer. I paid close attention to the clerks' screen at checkout. After the second title was scanned, a window popped up indicating that these titles were on sale and the price was adjusted - the clerk did not have to intervene. Is this something new? It was to me. So, it appears that their computer systems are now programmed to handle these kinds of offers. As for any who did not automatically receive the discount, perhaps Best Buy's computer was on the fritz for a while - that's all I can think of.

No matter what - be aware of your discounts and pay attention as each item is scanned. I always total my items and question the clerk if his total is different.

Jah-Wren Ryel 06-18-03 11:25 PM

If you believe that "caveat emptor" is a valid way for Best Buy to handle over-pricing errors, then you should have no ethical conflicts with the reverse, aka "caveat vendor," such that that when the item is underpriced in the computer or the cashier rings it up incorrectly without noticing it - the customer has no obligation to tell the cashier that there has been an error.

Personally, I pay darn close attention to the register and the total, so a "caveat vendor" approach is just fine by me.

mytzplyx 06-19-03 03:43 AM

Sure, the complaint may seem petty, but for the shopper in a hurry, or ones who aren't all that bright, it can suck not having it done automatically. Best Buy is very lackadaisical when it comes to this, almost all the damn time. That being said, I'd just be thankful that it was for the most part, hassle free.

dvd-fanman 06-19-03 12:39 PM

When I went in and purchased two titles that were eligible on Saturday of last week the computer automatically adjusted the prices at that time. Perhaps it was just not loaded into the computer in time for the start of the sale date.

Like BigT said, I always go in knowing how much the total should be when I checkout. If it's different I question it before they get any of my money.

GodfatherFanDVD 06-19-03 09:14 PM

Thats not a big deal....someone the people at the register don't know and you have to tell them.....bestbuy has good deals sometimes.

shrike 06-19-03 10:07 PM

The Best Buy I shop at is always pulling things like this. Registers that don't give discounts etc. When they had the special buy on Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown combo I was there when they opened. Guess what? No Jackie Browns. I called every day to see if they had them in and the answer was always that they didn't get them yet. Then the day the special sale ended suddenly they had dozens. The same with the Miyazaki sale. They had all of the DVDs except one so that you could not get the sale price. Again I called every day and they always said they didn't get any in. Then on the day the sale was over they set out dozens of copies. I just don't trust Best Buy.

elias 06-20-03 08:07 AM

My Best Buy has its share of problems (like the time the girl at the cash register didn't want to honor a customer appreciate weekend coupon for a Playstation 2 game because she didn't consider it "video game software" which is obviously only for computers!) but when they ran their 2 for 20 DVD sale a week or 2 back the guy at the cash register rang them up at full price, checked the sale flyer on his own and corrected the problem without me having to say a word.

mikenyc 06-28-03 12:19 PM

These socalled "price problems" are intentional, built-into-the-system plans to steal peoples money.

What do you think, the average is, that a customer overlooks or doesn't know there is a price error ? It's to the store's advantage, that these prices aren't correct in the barcode, and on the average, they are making money on the scam !

That your saleschecker had no knowledge of how to make a sales correction, is the tip-off to me !