DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Anyone ever see this happening at Wherehouse Music? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/297154-anyone-ever-see-happening-wherehouse-music.html)

OnkyoDVM301B 06-05-03 06:18 PM

Anyone ever see this happening at Wherehouse Music?

The other day I walk into my local Wherehouse Music, believe it or not, right there behind the counter the store manager was using a shrink-wrapping machine and heat gun to re-wrap what
was obviously a BUNCH of used DVDs. These guys have balls, I tell you, they were taking off the yellow used DVD stickers and shrink-wrapping the DVDs.
I still refuse to believe what I saw, come on, I mean they were not doing this in the back-room but right there up front, behind the customer service counter!!!
I work in the business and am wondering if I should take this matter up with some of the studios for them to investigate! I just cannot think of any logic of why they would remove the Used DVD yellow tags and shrink-wrap.
Anyone ever witnessed this happening?

menaz 06-05-03 06:42 PM

Some places shrinkwrap used DVDs and put them on display, but still sell them as used. Blockbusters do that all the time.

OnkyoDVM301B 06-05-03 07:31 PM

Menaz, I know that Blockbuster do that BUT their Used DVDs are labeled as such with a red tag.......the guys at Wherehouse Music were taking the Used DVD tags off. Did ya read my original post??

menaz 06-05-03 09:57 PM

Yes, I read it, and understood it perfectly. All I am saying is that it is possible that they took off the ugly stickers and shrinkwrapped them to make them look better. It doesnt mean they are not going to put them on a shelf with a big red "used" sign hanging on top. If it was a local store, I would think it is possible for them to sell used merchandise as new. But it is the wherehouse, these guys have inventory lists and everything needs to match. They cant just make their used inventory dissappear and all of a sudden their new invetory doubles. It would raise a red flag somewhere.

reubs82 06-07-03 12:45 AM

I quit trusting those SOBs at Wherehouse a LONG time ago...

I turned a list of DVDs that were stolen from, and surprisingly a BUNCH of them showed up on the same day. Those chumps wouldn't do ANYTHING to help me. I was so happy the day they went out of business here in town, and I am still hoping the sorry manager they had there is unemployed and starving.

shaun3000 06-15-03 02:48 AM

Didn't/isn't Wherehouse Music go[ing] out of business..?

devilpants 06-16-03 12:47 PM

They closed about 200 stores (according to their website) but the one at the Beverly Connection is still operating.
In their defense, when I tried to purchase a new DVD there they would tell me they had a used, sealed copy in stock that I could get at a lower price. Perhaps it was re-shrinkwarapped, but the disc was in pristine condition. I just think it was cool they cut me a bargain when I could have paid more for the same disc.

Groucho 06-16-03 12:53 PM

Don't worry...those weren't for resell at Wherehouse. That was my assistant, taking care of some personal business for me. Now, if you don't mind I'm off to monitor my ebay auctions.