DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Amazon Pre-Orders (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/296113-amazon-pre-orders.html)

Matt969 06-01-03 11:22 AM

Amazon Pre-Orders

Does anyone know when dvd's that are pre-ordered from Amazon tend to ship? 2 weeks ago I pre-ordered 4 for this Tuesday and have been hoping they'd ship early.

DonnachaOne 06-01-03 11:34 AM

Expect them to ship on release date. Sometimes they'll ship a few days early and get to you on release date, or better yet, a couple days before. But don't count on it. If they get to you, they get to you, and an early reception should be taken as a nice surprise.

Matt969 06-01-03 11:55 AM

Thanks for the info.

gutwrencher 06-01-03 12:22 PM

yeah, I use amazon a few times a month. they usually dont ship till the day of release. I had ordered Throne Of Blood 2 weeks ago....but didnt get it till Thursday...2 days after release.

lisadoris 06-01-03 12:32 PM

They probably won't ship too early. I preordered Animatrix and Empire Records from Amazon a few weeks ago and they haven't shipped yet.

jarofclay73 06-01-03 01:17 PM

I preordered Animatrix and Die Another Day and it shipped yesterday (Saturday 5/31). I chose the Super Saver shipping so I really didn't expect it to come until after Tuesday. I will post after it arrives.

mzupeman2 06-01-03 01:20 PM

Yeah, ordering stuff online is so easy. I personally only use amazon to order DVD's that I absolutely can't find anywhere. I was able to be 'The World Is Not Enough' when it was OOP and I also found 'Return To Oz'. I always have had the temptation to just pre-order everything through Amazon but figure there's not really always a chance of getting it early, and I live right across the road from the mall here so. I can pick it up myself on the day of release after the stores open. And that way I'm usually ensured that I don't get *mailed* a disc that isn't loose and scratched all over for some reason. I'm one of those guys who goes to the store and shakes his DVD before purchasing, heh. To me waiting a couple days for release day is much more worth getting a damaged disc in the mail and going through the trouble of sending it back for a new one.

Max Bottomtime 06-01-03 01:25 PM

I have made around 100 orders from Amazon and received one order before the release date.

jarofclay73 06-01-03 01:31 PM

Originally posted by mzupeman2
To me waiting a couple days for release day is much more worth getting a damaged disc in the mail and going through the trouble of sending it back for a new one.
Thankfully, I have never gotten a bad disc through the mail. Amazon ships with a LOT of padding. Still, I only order through mail if the price is right.

Recently, I bought Shanghai Noon from Wal-Mart and it had a glitch in the movie and no visible defects on the disc. I then buy the same disc used at Blockbuster and it played perfectly although it had a lot of visible scratches. Go figure.

Dacoops3 06-01-03 08:36 PM

Store Forum?

MasterCXtreme 06-01-03 09:51 PM

When GTA: Vice City was coming out, I pre-ordered it on Amazon about 2 months ahead of time, I was so excited. Only to find out that THEIR release date for Vice City was a few days after everyone elses. So not only did I have to wait 5 extra days as opposed to picking it up in the store; all my friends practically beat it by the time I finally got mine. Amazon's good on their prices and User Reviews; but their shipping is a little slow.

WhiteRob 06-02-03 12:17 AM

It's only on games. Amazon has always shipped games out on Fridays for some reason.. the release dates on the website are even listed for Fridays!