Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Netflix Question: Is there a Tampa, FL distribution center?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-03, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to do the Netflix thing a couple of years ago, but I canceled (like a lot of people) because of DVDs taking to long to arrive to make the plan worth it. I read recently that Netflix had added a Tampa, FL distribution center. Since Tampa is my hometown, I decide to give them another chance since I wouldn’t be able to complain about long shipping times bieng that Netflix are my neighbors.

Well, I signed up and received my first 3 disks… From Ft. Lauderdale. Huh?!? I still received the discs rather quickly (3 days), but I’m curious:

If there is a Netflix distribution center in the town where I live, why on earth would they be sending the discs from a city 300 miles away?

And if there is a Tampa distro center, is there any way I can switch to it for my account?

As I said, 3 days is a lot better than it used to be, but it shouldn’t be more than a day wait if shipped from Tampa. Shipping from Lauderdale is potentially doubling my wait time, thereby decreasing the potential number of discs I can view in the one-month billing period.

Their website used to have a map with all of the distro centers on it, but now there is not much in the way of faqs or any other sort of customer service info on the Netflix site.

Thanks a ton!
Old 05-27-03, 03:38 PM

Q: Where are Netflix's distribution centers located?

......Netflix currently has distribution centers in Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Fort Lauderdale, Houston, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New York, Newark, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Portland, San Jose, Stamford, Seattle, and Washington, DC, metropolitan areas.

I don't think there's one in tampa yet.
Old 05-27-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

2 more recently added to what nodoubt said...

...two new shipping centers to serve the greater Chicago and St. Louis areas.
The openings of the two facilities bring to 20 the total number of Netflix shipping centers operating throughout the United States.
Old 05-30-03, 01:12 AM

Re: Netflix Question: Is there a Tampa, FL distribution center?

Originally posted by Fripp As I said, 3 days is a lot better than it used to be, but it shouldn’t be more than a day wait if shipped from Tampa. Shipping from Lauderdale is potentially doubling my wait time, thereby decreasing the potential number of discs I can view in the one-month billing period.[/B]
This isn't as bad as you think. When I first used Netflix a few years ago, I was in New Jersey and my distribution center was in Los Angeles.

There are more distribution centers. My disks were going to Flushing, NY (and I believe there is one in NYC as well) up until a few months ago, and now they are sent to New Brunswick, NJ (convenient, since that's where I was sending them from!).