DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   If you could only order from one retailer-who would it be? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/294374-if-you-could-only-order-one-retailer-who-would.html)

dvd-4-life 05-23-03 03:46 PM

If you could only order from one retailer-who would it be?

That would be a tough call but I would prefer DVD Planet over DVD Empire.Shipping may cost more but they have very fast shipping.

Calistoga 05-23-03 04:09 PM

Buy.com

kitkittykat 05-23-03 06:09 PM

Are you meaning for DVDs only? If it was everything that would change my answer.

I live in Washington state, so places where I don't get charged sales tax are high on my list. I always figure that out as part of the savings. I can't stand I get charged sales tax at Amazon. Good places not to get charged are buy.com and Barnes and Noble.com (unfortunately B&N prices run high).

lordzeppelin 05-24-03 01:27 AM

ddd

Norm de Plume 05-24-03 08:18 AM

I would like to say DDD, but it doesn't stock all the DVDs I'm looking for; with more obscure titles, I'm out of luck.

I was a loyal customer of DVDPlanet for a decade until it recently raised its shipping costs to Canada dramatically. DVDEmpire's basic shipping costs to here are also a rip-off. That leaves DigitalEyes and CDUniverse as backups to DDD.

RichDB10 05-24-03 09:33 AM

If XploitedCinema stocked titles other than obscure/cult/european ones then i'd undoubtedly order everything from them their customer service,delivery time etc are second to none and i've used most retailers.

In fact DeepDiscountDVD is by far!! the worst i have ever used though i live in the UK so customer service may be better in the states. I've had packages go missing on 2 occasions with them and had to wait in excess of 7-8 weeks for replacements!

tori 05-28-03 09:37 PM

Amazon has the _best_ customer service I've ever seen. They'll do _everything_ to make you happy and I really am. The last time when I ordered CF for my camera and a DVD, I called them about my trivia balance and promotional GC I had but couldn't apply. A very nice woman did it for me and also gave $5 stackable coupon for my "troubles". Then I just mentioned that the CF had a rebate that would expire in a couple weeks and inquired when it might be shipped, and she immediately changed the shipping to "Second Day Air" free of charge. I couldn't believe my ears...Two thumbs up, Amazon :) I wish their prices were a bit less though... I bet Discover Card holders are very happy to shop there for half the price ;)

matome 05-29-03 09:19 AM

DVDplanet

Movie_Man 05-29-03 10:49 AM

For DVDs - DDD
For general shopping - Amazon (bought all my Christmas gifts there)

victant 05-29-03 07:22 PM

Amazon.com. Free shipping over $25, STL, coupons (sometimes), nickels, preorders at 25-40% off, and awesome CSR's.

mytzplyx 05-29-03 07:24 PM

Definitely, Amazon.com

BigPete 05-29-03 09:39 PM

bestbuy.com

D-Ball 05-30-03 01:27 AM

deepdiscountdvd.com with dvdempire coming second and amazon third.

mediabear 05-30-03 08:14 AM

Amazon for me too.

Thespian68 05-30-03 10:59 AM

Amazon....while ususally not the cheapest, the CSR's are generally good, packaging of shipments above average, and shipping times from order to receipt are often better, but no worse than most other online retailers.

Dacoops3 05-30-03 04:01 PM

I would have to say it is a toss up between DDD and Best Buy.com. DDD has the best prices on catalog titles and charge no tax, but Best Buy.com usually has the best prices on new releases. Then again, DDD price-matches so forget Best Buy.com, DDD ALL THE WAY!

RonG617 05-30-03 06:13 PM

Amazon for customer service. Saving a buck is not worth the hassles I have gotten with some of the other retailers.

Sc0rPs 06-01-03 03:53 AM

I'de have to go for TAU, pretty good prices and excellent customer service!

kitkittykat 06-01-03 12:12 PM

Originally posted by tori

... I bet Discover Card holders are very happy to shop there for half the price ;)

Just curious as to what you mean by the above statement. Thanks.

tori 06-02-03 12:55 AM

Discover card offers up to 1% cashback on purchases. Double your cashback from some vendors (Staples, Blockbuster, Dell, Borders/Waldenbook etc.) in gift cards. You must shop through borders.com to end up at Amazon. I believe they recently changed their policy regarding Borders gift cert. though. You have to search for more info as I do not have this card and can not give all the details...

kitkittykat 06-02-03 03:53 AM

Thanks Tori for the information. I'm going to look this up on my online Discover account.

Jericho 06-02-03 05:10 PM

I get most new releases in stores, like Walmart or Best Buy since that's where they are cheap. But for rarer stuff I shop online, DVDplanet is very good since it's well-priced and ships fast. DVDempire also is nice because of the free shipping on 4 items and a coupon.