DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Amazon.co.uk - THE BEST ! ! ! ! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/294143-amazon-co-uk-best.html)

Daytripper 05-22-03 02:07 PM

Amazon.co.uk - THE BEST ! ! ! !

I cannot recommend amazon.co.uk enough. They are absolutely,
without a doubt, the best online store I've ever dealt with.
Period! I live in the U.S. (Washington D.C. to be exact) and have
placed several orders from them on items not available here (at
the time). And every single time I receive the item in my hands
within FIVE working days after I placed the order. With no extra
shipping cost (hear that deepdiscountdvd?). This past Saturday,
around 5:00 p.m. EST (11:00 p.m. UK time), I placed an order for
the "28 Days Later" DVD. It wasn't even scheduled to be
released in the UK until the following Monday (I believe).
Which was two days later. I get home from work yesterday
(Wednesday), and it was on my doorstep. I couldn't believe it.
That's a record for any company I've ordered from online. Way to
go amazon.co.uk!!! You guys are amazing.

tonyc3742 05-22-03 03:19 PM

That is amazing; the only time I shipped anything across the pond it took like two weeks [but it was a big package.]
I guess I could look, but how have your found their prices comparing to, say, DDD, or Amazon.ca?

matome 05-22-03 07:19 PM

Yep, I've had nothing but great experiences with Amazon UK for my R2 discs. Fast shipping, probably as fast as regular amazon.com ships!

renaldow 05-23-03 04:57 AM

Another very happy Amazon UK customer here. I can't say I've gotten them in 5 days, but 7-8 is the norm. That would make sense as I live in OR. Much, much faster than DDD! While their prices may not look the best compared to some other overseas dealers, I've found that you've actually got to check the shopping cart for your accurate price. Shipping is cheaper than most European dealers, and once VAT is removed I've found very few sites that can beat them in terms of both pricing, service, and shipping times.

Their customer service is way better than US Amazon also. They've let me apply coupons to orders that were already shipped out. That amazed me!

kitkittykat 05-23-03 06:16 PM

Speaking of coupons. Any currently? Thanks.

Daytripper 05-25-03 02:05 AM

Originally posted by renaldow
Another very happy Amazon UK customer here. I can't say I've gotten them in 5 days, but 7-8 is the norm. That would make sense as I live in OR. Much, much faster than DDD! While their prices may not look the best compared to some other overseas dealers, I've found that you've actually got to check the shopping cart for your accurate price. Shipping is cheaper than most European dealers, and once VAT is removed I've found very few sites that can beat them in terms of both pricing, service, and shipping times.

Their customer service is way better than US Amazon also. They've let me apply coupons to orders that were already shipped out. That amazed me!

Just a quick FYI: technically, my order got to me in three working days. The mail doesn't run on Sundays in England either. So it was shipped out early Monday morning (I'm guessing). And delivered to my door Wednesday afternoon. How amazing is that?

Doc Moonlight 05-25-03 08:27 AM

I've had some really good experiences with Amazon UK, too. They sent me two R2 discs that wouldn't play in my region free palyer. When I contacted them, they sent out repalcement discs immediately and told me not to return the defective discs. Definitely a class act!

Wallet Boy 05-25-03 08:15 PM

I live in the DC area too, and I recently ordered an LP and a CD from them on a Wednesday, and I received the package that Saturday!? I couldn't believe it. The only coupon I know of is the £3 off £15 for new customers. Clear your cookies and the offer should appear in a pop-up window when you go to the main page.

RonG617 05-26-03 02:46 PM

I will add another positive for Amazon UK. Fastest overseas shipping I have ever experienced. Plus it is Amazon, so I don't have any fears of getting ripped off.

DonnachaOne 05-26-03 11:13 PM

They are lovely people. Never have I once had had a problem with them. And without their reccomendations, I would never have discovered the best TV show of today - Spaced!

jhansla 05-27-03 11:24 AM

I like Amazon.co.uk but they are really expensive. The dvds are like dollars for pounds on stores like DDD but that works out like 26 bucks for a dvd. If there is a UK DVD that I want I will buy it from them as I don't know any other online stores that ship to the US. But if I know the DVD is coming out over hear I'll wait espcially if I haven't seen it.

renaldow 05-27-03 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Daytripper
Just a quick FYI: technically, my order got to me in three working days. The mail doesn't run on Sundays in England either. So it was shipped out early Monday morning (I'm guessing). And delivered to my door Wednesday afternoon. How amazing is that?
That's pretty damn amazing! Can we get a Hallelluhah for brother Daytripper and Amazon.co.uk?

renaldow 05-27-03 02:09 PM

Originally posted by jhansla
I like Amazon.co.uk but they are really expensive. The dvds are like dollars for pounds on stores like DDD but that works out like 26 bucks for a dvd.
Of course that varies depending on the release and the title. Most/many new releases are around 14.99 GB, which is roughy $20 US just like here. The biggest thing to take into account though, is that that is the difference between the GB pound and US dollar. Pound's worth a lot more, hence we pay a lot more in our own inferior currency, the same way be pay a lot less when converting to CA or HK dollars.

For most collectors the few dollars extra is worth it for: 1) DVDs that haven't been or will not be released in R1; 2) DVDs that have a superior release overseas compared to R1. If the release is the same as an R1 release and $5 more, there's no point in buying it. However...

For the low, low, price of $20 I can take my 28 Days Later DVD into work and taunt my coworkers with it, calling them schmoes and possibly even region bound slaves to the man. For perhaps 30 mins I will feel manly and above my fellow workers. I will get to be 'The Big Man.' I did it when I ordered CTHD and sponsored an after work showing of it in the board room, and I will do it again all these years later. To me, $20 is more than worth it to feel elevated from my crappy lot in life, if only for a few cold minutes. Thank you Amazon.co.uk!

Yeah, read that last paragraph w/ tonge firmly in cheek.

jhansla 05-31-03 02:21 PM

When I used to live in the UK I used to pay around 16-18 pounds on average for a Region 1 DVD from a site called www.movietyme.com
But What I like about them is that they got the DVD to me 2 weeks before it was released over here. I would pay extra for region 1 if I had to but not for Region 2 as most of the films that are British made are crap anyway (Not taking a stap at the british before you grill me cause I am british)

Just my opinion though :)

movielib 06-01-03 05:01 PM

Originally posted by jhansla
I like Amazon.co.uk but they are really expensive. The dvds are like dollars for pounds on stores like DDD but that works out like 26 bucks for a dvd. If there is a UK DVD that I want I will buy it from them as I don't know any other online stores that ship to the US. But if I know the DVD is coming out over hear I'll wait espcially if I haven't seen it.
I have long been ordering from:

Benson's World.

It's not as fast but their prices are a lot better than Amazon.uk and I have found them to be totally reliable. I just ordered Accident/The Family Way from Benson's World and saved about $3.30 compared to Amazon.uk.

Numanoid 06-01-03 10:11 PM

Bear in mind that you must go to the checkout page at Amazon to see the true price (or calculate it in your head). They deduct the 17.5% VAT tax for US sales, so if the DVD is priced at £20, you will actually only be charged £16.50. As far as I know (and I have ordered from them before), Benson's World does not deduct the VAT. I usually do a price comparison between the two and Amazon often comes out ahead, even with the shipping charge (which is usually only a couple of bucks).

movielib 06-01-03 11:27 PM

Originally posted by Numanoid
Bear in mind that you must go to the checkout page at Amazon to see the true price (or calculate it in your head). They deduct the 17.5% VAT tax for US sales, so if the DVD is priced at £20, you will actually only be charged £16.50. As far as I know (and I have ordered from them before), Benson's World does not deduct the VAT. I usually do a price comparison between the two and Amazon often comes out ahead, even with the shipping charge (which is usually only a couple of bucks).
I know all that and here is the bottom line comparison on the Accident/The Family Way disc I was talking about:

Amazon: £15.33 = $24.95

Benson: £13.29 = $21.63

Difference: £2.04 = $3.32

Now Amazon might catch up if you order a lot of discs. For the first disc, Amazon socks you £3.08 shipping and charges £.99 on each disc thereafter. Benson's World charges a straight £.50 per disc. (These figures are for delivery to North America.) On my order, Amazon actually beat Benson's World on the price of the disc (after deducting VAT) by £.54. But at that rate, you'd have to buy 42 discs in one order for Amazon to catch up. Obviously, other discs may yield different results but I don't think my buy was particularly unrepresentative.