Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How long does buy.com budget shipping take?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-03, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I live in Northern California. Is it really 2-3 weeks??? Or do they say that to scare you into paying ridiculous prices for other shipping?
THanks,
Dave
Old 01-23-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I don't know for sure, but it's probably Media Mail; the last time I ordered something Media Mail [from DeepDiscount, it took exactly ten shipping days [but that was also over the holiday, it arrived Christmas Eve.]
Of course, it's ironic--depending on what you got, First Class is actually cheaper--when I sell a dvd or cd on half.com, I 'upgrade free' to first class, because it costs 1.26 versus 1.33 for Media Mail [at least the way I pack them.]
Old 01-23-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got something overnight. They drop ship from just about everywhere ... or so it seems.

Last edited by BigPete; 01-23-03 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-26-03, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's usually pretty fast - almost everything I've had shipped free from them takes around 3-4 days to arrive.
Old 02-27-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any idea where their warehouse(s) are located? I live in Florida and placed my first order with Buy.com last night and elected to have the budget (Free) shipping. Anyone from central Florida have any experience with Buy.com?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-03, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shouldn't take too long. I live in Seattle and usually get my disks in 2-3 days. I've been told they have a warehouse in Oregon.
Old 03-06-03, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Review of my first Buy.com experience

Just wanted to post an update regarding my first experience with Buy.com.

I originally placed my order on Feb 26 for the 512Mb CF Card from Viking that they had for $67 after a $50 mail-in-rebate. The item was in stock and stated it would ship within 24-48 hours. As of March 4, it still showed that it had been "Sent to warehouse". Seeing how the rebate for the CF Card had to be sent in within 15 days from the date of purchase and I choose the Budget (Free) Shipping option, I was beginning to worry that I would not have my package in time.

I emailed Buy.com on the night of the 4th asking what the delay was. They replied within their stated 12 hour window. However, the reply was a very generic "It's been sent to the warehouse to be shipped." email. So while they did reply quickly, they were of no help.

On the 5th, I finally received my shipping notice and went to their site to check on my order status. I discovered that it was shipped via FedEx ground, which from CA is 8 days - which could have put me over the 15 rebate submission period. I originally selected the budget shipping because of many people saying that they received their items promptly, even with the free shipping offer.

Well, today when I arrived home, I found that the FedEx guy/gal had delivered a package to me - which contained my CF Card! I was completely caught off gaurd as even FedEx's website stated that the order was scanned until 11:30 on the night of the 4th. I checked the package and noticed that it had shipped from Tennessee and not California, as expected.

Overall, I guess I'm pretty happy with my first shopping experience with Buy.com. They definitely have a few issues that I think they could work on... but I will likely order from them again.
Old 03-07-03, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ordered some stuff there yesterday...im gonna find out!
Old 03-07-03, 07:38 PM

I guess it depends on how close you are to one of their shipping warehouse. I order a pack of those vinyl cd-rs from them (check the hot deals forum) on 3/3/03 in the morning. Got an email in the morning on 3/4/03 that it shipped and ups delivered that afternoon in Tustin, CA. They shipped from their Mira Loma, CA warehouse. I ordered another pack after seeing how cool those cd-rs were on 3/4/03 in the afternoon. I got an shipping confirmation from them on 3/6/03 and again, they showed up that day. Both times, I selected the free shipping.

Overall, I have only had good experiences with buy.com. If, however, they make a mistake on your order, then it can be pretty hellish from what I have read on this board.
Old 04-17-03, 02:15 PM

Buy.com caught me off guard

I ordered the samsonite mobile computing case [leather computer bag with wheels] on the afternoon of April 16.

Lo and behold, 11 am April 17th, Fedex was there and so is my ordered samsonite bag.

and this is even using their new service, Bill me later [where they would mail the bill to me and I can pay by check].

This must be the fastest shipping i've ever experience from an online dealer. and by the way, i chose their free shipping option which states 7 to 14 business days.

this bag is part of their 2 day bag sale. the price for this bag is 89.99. i got $30 instant rebate for a total of $59.99 and free ship. not bad!
Old 04-30-03, 06:09 PM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
I live in Arizona, so even though I used the budget shipping (i.e. Media Mail), my recent purchase arrived today in only three business days from California. Just like Overstock in Utah, I'm happy to use Buy.com and use their free shipping because I receive things lightning fast.
Old 05-01-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, their free shipping is really good. I usually get things within 3 days, at the most no later than 4. I haven't ordered DVDs, so I haven't gotten anything media mail from them. It's all been hardware, or other products which have gone by UPS ground or Priority Mail.
Old 05-01-03, 01:24 PM

I've ordered 2 or 3 things from them in the past few months and (CF cards, vinyl cds) and I"ve gotten them in a day or two. Unbelievably fast for free shipping.
Old 05-02-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I was really confused about the 14-21 days notice. I bought some books last year with free shipping and it was only days. I bought a cable two days ago and it was shipped the next day. I don't get it, but I'm not complaining.

I have a question about Buy.com. How in the world can they carge so much less for certain items? I know that Best Buy used to or still does charge a little less for CD's to get you in their store, but Buy.com is drastically lower on some items and that's not even counting the free shipping. For example, there's a component cable from Acoustic Research selling for around $17 that is no lower than $24 anywhere else I've looked. And all the other higher prices will have shipping added, but not with Buy.com. I really don't see how they make money on this.

What gives?
Old 05-08-03, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I ordered 2 items and got one the next day and the 2nd item the following day. I'm in Los Angeles.
Old 05-08-03, 12:09 PM

I'm not having so much luck with buy.com right now. I ordered the Lexar Secure Digital Card for my Palm on Friday and it still says Sent to Warehouse today, yet it has it listed as in stock...go figure. I just sent them an e-mail, hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.