Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Ebay: Question regarding suspension appeal

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 04-18-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently was suspended from Ebay for a rather ridiculous reason, third party credits. See, I sell a lot of the same items over and over, so I have saved HTML files on my computer with the auction item descriptions that I use. When I first started selling regularly, a third party credit like the one in question was acceptable (or at least, I was unaware of the problem and it was never brought to my attention). I listed auctions this way for months, until Ebay apparently began cracking down on this and I noticed a warning when attempting to list an item. So, I began fixing these item descriptions as I sold them again (though sometimes I only fixed it in the listing form and forgot to fix it on my computer). Unfortunately, every now and then, I overlooked one. This is what happened when I listed my last set of auctions.
When the auctions were cancelled, I replied to [email protected] and offered an explanation and apology for what happened...no response until my re-listings of these items (without the questionable third part credits) were cancelled and I was suspended. I again replied to [email protected], and I also sent an email on Tuesday through their online form that deals with suspension appeals. No response at all.

What are my options here? Do I just sit back and take it? I feel like it should be resolved, because anyone with half a brain can tell it was an honest mistake (if I had done it on purpose, I would have did it on all the auctions, not just one, and I wouldnt have given false information such as you can get $5 for signing up with C2IT, which they dont offer anymore).

Any suggestions?
Old 04-18-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I assume the name ENDContra is a name you have yet to use since your feedback is 0. In regards to being suspended... I suggest take it on the chin since they seem to either be blowing you off or just have an endless amount of email that comes in and it is a pretty much dead end email address. I would suggest going here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/account/R...VerifyPSU.html

And appealing.
Old 04-18-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^^ As I said, I used their form for appealing suspensions. And ENDContra is actually an ID I used on Half.com before they merged their user database with Ebay. Endguy (with a feedback of 315) is the name I use on Ebay.
Old 04-18-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if it isn't a long wait (suspension) I suggest waiting it out or use your other hand, if possible.
Old 04-18-03, 08:16 PM

Wow, I had no idea eBay was so strict about this stuff until I read this thread and then checked out the linking section of their FAQ.

Last edited by spyzdope; 04-18-03 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-18-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So wait, are you saying you got suspended for using the same exact "ad" for the same item everytime you sold it? If that's true, that's ridiculous, as I tend to do the same thing with the wrestling videos I sell on there. I usually put a lot of effort into my ads so if I sell something again in the future that I've sold before, I like to use the same description again. Anyway, am I understanding you correctly?
Old 04-18-03, 11:29 PM

Al Padrino, fortunately that is not what he's saying (although, I can see how you might misinterpret it that way). Check out the linking section of eBay's FAQ. to see what he's talking about.

Last edited by spyzdope; 04-18-03 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-19-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So basically they busted you for advertising for some third party, in your auction? Sounds like ebay just wants to keep from being a hosting service for people making affiliate money on their dime... kind of like here
Old 04-19-03, 02:29 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
You could try to call eBay. Here's a list of phone numbers from The Auction Guild. That site's a great reference for anyone using online auctions.

1-800-322-9266
1-888-749-3229
1-877-438-3229 (California only)
1-408-558-7400
Hours 7:30 AM 5:30 PM PT M-F
Know Persons Extension press 1
Dial by name Directory press 0
Customer Service press 2
Operator press 3
Old 04-19-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I FINALLY got a response Friday night. As I expected, no dice. I really wasnt expecting anything...I mean, I SHOULD have corrected all of the item descriptions on my computer when they first started cracking down, or at least after I received the first warning/cancelled auction. Oh well, I have 23 more days to go I guess. Until then, Ill see what I can get rid of on Yahoo Auctions, although out of the 25 I listed, Ill be lucky to sell 5. Heres the best part though, what would have cost me $14.75 to list on Ebay cost me $3.65 on Yahoo. Just wish Yahoo had some traffic :\