DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Ordered some DVDs and got double my order (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/286621-ordered-some-dvds-got-double-my-order.html)

Ænima 04-16-03 09:59 PM

Ordered some DVDs and got double my order

I ordered some DVDs (a box set) from a online retailer the other day. When I got it in the mail I noticed they doubled my order, everything was duplicated. I checked the e-mail confirmation etc, and it said I was getting 1 of each. I have yet to check my visa bill to see if I will profit :) off this mistake.

Anyone ever had this happen? It is likely they charged me twice even though I ordered 1 set, and the e-mail confirmation and order confirmation listed 1 set.

What Are DVDs 04-16-03 10:24 PM

wow, good deal! I wish that happened to me more!

I ordered the simpsons season 1 and waited a month before I emailed the online retailer. I told them that I never got it, and maybe a week or two later, I get the simpsons season 1 in the mail. About a month after that.....low and behold ANOTHER one! :)

I guess I got a bonus because usps took forever? jk...I got lucky.

You should probably just wait and see what happens. Check your statement to see if the charge is for one set. I don't think they can charge you AGAIN for another set without your authorization......RIGHT?? I could be wrong though.

Jah-Wren Ryel 04-16-03 10:51 PM

Oh they can certainly charge you if they have your CC# - technically nothing preventing them from doing so. Legally, that is another question.

Ginwen 04-16-03 11:08 PM

I had that happen once, with the Die Hard Trilogy. I tried to return them, because I wanted to be honest, but they wanted me to pay for returning them (since I was doing them a favor, I wasn't going to do that). So after a few months, I finally traded them for something I didn't already have.

BigPete 04-16-03 11:12 PM

Personally, I like to call the retailer up and offer it back to them if they'll pay for shipping. A lot of the time, they'll tell you to keep it anyway, but I like to keep things honest.

munedaddy 04-16-03 11:41 PM

BIGPETE you better watch what you're saying. It's people like you that keep prices low.

aperry 04-16-03 11:53 PM

Originally posted by BigPete
Personally, I like to call the retailer up and offer it back to them if they'll pay for shipping. A lot of the time, they'll tell you to keep it anyway, but I like to keep things honest.
Ditto.

bang4dabuc 04-17-03 09:06 AM

If they send me duplicate DVDs (which has yet to happen), I would probably call them and offer to return the second copy to avoid getting charged double.

However, if a retailer sends me the DVDs but doesn't charge them to my card, that's a different story. I ordered about 70 bucks worth of DVDs from a certain retailer and decided to return them to the local store when they arrived. When I got my credit card statement at the end of the month, I saw that I had never been charged for the DVDs, but was credited the 70 bucks for the returning the movies.

RonBoster 04-17-03 09:16 AM

I like the way BigPete thinks!!!!

Ron

renaldow 04-17-03 12:02 PM

I was sent and charged for 10 duplicate DVDs from Deepdiscount DVD. I never ordered from there again, but that wasn't the first time they'd made a mistake, it was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

pd071 04-18-03 04:45 PM

Most online retailers don't realize they sent you two of the same order. The system just creates 2 seperate orders. I've seen it happen at work before. Our system is setup to tell us if the order has already gone out before though. But it still has happened and we sent the exact same thing out twice. Or even sent someone elses order with yours.

Of course, the honest thing to do is to send it back but usually like I said they don't realize its even happened. Depends...most companies are small though and can't afford to just keep losing inventory. So personally I'd offer to send it back. But like you all, I wouldn't pay for shipping back...they would have too.

Groucho 04-18-03 04:56 PM

If they accidentally send you something you didn't order, legally it's yours to keep.

boc4ever 04-18-03 10:19 PM

Originally posted by BigPete
You are a good man for thinking that way. If you believe in Kharma, you'll find that something good will happen if you are honest.

Personally, I try to be that way, but sometimes it depends on the vendor. If I feel like an e-tailer has wronged me in the past, I'd probably feel like this was retribution...

sniper308 04-19-03 12:41 AM

Originally posted by boc4ever
You are a good man for thinking that way. If you believe in Kharma, you'll find that something good will happen if you are honest.

Maybe this is the something good, for being honest in the past...

That's how I tend to look at it anyway :D

bdots48 04-19-03 06:32 AM

Back in the days of Reel.com I received 2 copies of Grand Illusion - I emailed them for advice and they instructed me to return one for credit,so I got that $40 list Criterion for free! That same day I received a third one! (Sent that one back too but didn't hear anything from them)

renaldow 04-22-03 08:51 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
If they accidentally send you something you didn't order, legally it's yours to keep.
This is somewhat of a myth. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Check your state laws for clarification.

dp20957 04-24-03 09:06 AM

I ordered the Faulty Towers box set from DeepDiscountDvd. When it hadn't arrived after 3 weeks I called them and they sent me another set - which I received.
Three months later, the original set showed up. I called them to send me a postage-paid mailing lable and when they did, I sent the duplicate back.
I don't mind screwing a company that screwed me but I won't screw one that's been good to me.

tasha99 04-28-03 02:13 AM

I ordered a South Park dvd and ended up with the box set (4,5,and 6 when I just ordered 5).

MrPeanut 05-01-03 03:05 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
I'd rather mail it back then go to court just to keep $30 of DVD's I already own. But that doesn't mean I'm any less upset. They charged me when it shipped (both times it shipped) and don't plan on creditting me until they receive the return. Does that seem fair? That's actually the Columbia House business model.

NitroJMS 05-02-03 09:23 AM

When the first edition of The Princess Bride came out, Amazon mistakenly sent me 2 seperate copies. Made a handy gift. :)