Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Walmart Harry Potter WS Story

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-03, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I swung by Walmart today to get HPCOS because I figured they would be cheaper than Target, BB or CC. I was right, the sign read $14.24 and did not specify WS or Full Screen. At first I couldn't find a WS version, but was happy to discover there was a side of the display full of them. I think people missed them because they were behind another display.

When I got to the register, the DVD rang up at $21 and change. I told the clerk about the sale price and she verified with electronics that it was on sale. They must have put the sale price back into the register because the second time, it came up as $15.88 total. I knew that was more than I should be paying, but I didn't feel like haggling over $.75

The woman behind me had a copy of the Full Screen version. I had mentioned to her that I found some Widescreen versions if she was interested and she replied, "Thanks, but it is just a small crappy tv." I didn't think it was worth explaining to her, but it is a shame that people are still so uniformed about OAR. I found it interesting that she thought you needed a special tv to view the DVD.

Her DVD rang up at the sale price of $14.24 plus tax. The clerk said, "huh, why is that". Then she noticed I bought WS and said "oh, it must be because you bought widescreen". So I responded in a half joking fashion "I guess I get penalized for wanting widescreen".

I guess this is Walmarts plan to aid in the demise of widescreen versions for the majors. I guess they didn't order as many widescreen, so they were charging more. Nonetheless, it didn't sit well with me, and I thought I'd share...
Old 04-11-03, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

maybe she didnt want the picture being even smaller cuz her tv was so small to begin with.
Old 04-12-03, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I guess size DOES matter then?
Old 04-12-03, 07:54 AM

My theory is that they saw you coming in and read your mind that you wanted a wide screen copy and changed the price so that you would waste several minutes of your life whining on an online forum. That's my theory.
Old 04-13-03, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by boc4ever <small>but I didn't feel like haggling over $.75</small>
Actually, it would have been over $3 you be getting. If item rings up wrong, they give you the difference + $3. Happened to me last week with a CD.

ALSO: Explaining WS to some people is like running your head into a wall.
Old 04-13-03, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't explain - but you should have insisted on correct price, and the $3, if that was applicable.
Old 04-13-03, 07:36 AM

I don't even bother pointing out that WS is available if I see someone has picked up P&S. I figure that it's not my business what they perfer to watch (or not watch), and if they really wanted WS, they wouldn't have settled for P&S in the first place. I know I always double check to make sure that I pick up the right version.
Old 04-13-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by bigjim25
Actually, it would have been over $3 you be getting. If item rings up wrong, they give you the difference + $3. Happened to me last week with a CD.

ALSO: Explaining WS to some people is like running your head into a wall.
Thanks for that info! I didn't know that was their policy. I'll keep that in mind for next time...
Old 04-13-03, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
The woman behind me had a copy of the Full Screen version. I had mentioned to her that I found some Widescreen versions if she was interested and she replied, "Thanks, but it is just a small crappy tv." I didn't think it was worth explaining to her, but it is a shame that people are still so uniformed about OAR. I found it interesting that she thought you needed a special tv to view the DVD.
Wha? If someone said that to me I'd assume they didn't care what they got, not that they needed a special TV.
Old 04-13-03, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Eric F
Wha? If someone said that to me I'd assume they didn't care what they got, not that they needed a special TV.
The reason I thought she may have thought that is because her reaction to my question was obviously one of knowledge of widescreen. If she didn't know the difference between widescreen and full screen, I would have expected an answer like "what is widescreen?"

I think atari2600 might have a good point that if the tv was small, she knew the picture would be even smaller with widescreen. And assuming it was purchased for kids, they probably wouldn't have appreciated widescreen.
Old 04-15-03, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts
About the $3 policy, It can be a real pain in the A$$ to get them to apply this. For one none of them know about this policy and every instance I have pointed it out in their policy they still have to ask their supervisor or whatever to approve the $3.

I sometimes feel the term YMMV was invented for WM. Most of the times I get really old grouchy ladies who seem to get their kicks ticking their customers off. And a couple times I have gotten excellent over the top customer service. Whatever.