Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

J and R- Scam artists?

Old 04-10-03, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

J and R- Scam artists?

What is up with this company? I placed an order with them last week and I noticed a double charge- called them up and said there were problems with order placed over the weekend, take a few days to fix- ok, so a few days later, they charge me again!

I remember placing an order a few years ago with them and they did EXACTLY the same thing. Is this business as usual for this company?

I don't think I'll be ordering from them again.
Old 04-10-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Pretty reputable for the most part. Haven't heard of too many problems. DEFINITELY not one of those NYC gyp-joints that's either always going out of business or is part of the Sabratt Home Shoping Network (SNL reference) or is located in certain areas of Brooklyn or is being investigated by a consumer reporter. VERY nice store down near Wall Street, and usually pretty competitive pricewise.

I've dealt with them only twice with mail order, but they did OK by me.

Aren't they accessible thru Amazon....?
Old 04-10-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

J&R does a lot of the Amazon electronics items. I've never used them, but all that I've ever heard about them is good.
Old 04-10-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've used them before for some electronics and been extremely happy with them. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
Old 04-10-03, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't like the fact they triple charge on what seems (to me) on a regular basis.

There are all sorts of reasons why companies make this (seemingly intentional) mistake- one being to float themselves a loan and another to artifically inflate their sales figures.

Triple charging is inexcusable, especially since so many people use debit cards now- I wonder if they're responsible if you overdraw your account because of their mistake?
Old 04-10-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My experiences with them have been OK. Although, I admit I'd rather place an order on the net there than call them up.
Old 04-10-03, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've bought over $1000 worth of stuff with them, in 3 or 4 separate purchases, and I've yet to have any problems. J and R electronics and B & H Photo and Video are two of the only "non-major" stores (like Amazon) that I feel 100% comfortable working with.
Old 04-11-03, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never bought from them, but I did once use their webpage for 800.com to pricematch because I did feel comfortable buying from them.

...however, we see who is still in business
Old 04-11-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Been buying from their retail location in NYC (they literally own a whole city block right next to City Hall & Ground Zero) for years now and never had a problem. They are probably the most reputable electronics dealer in New York.
Old 04-11-03, 09:51 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I've used them before, no problems in the past for me.
Old 04-11-03, 10:18 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Few years ago I stayed in a Radi**** hotel somewhere in Chicago metro and they charged my CC for the same amount like 6 or 7 times. I had to call up my CC company to straighten it out. Needless to say, I never stay in that hotel chain anymore.
Old 04-12-03, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just got refunded the two overcharges, so everything is OK,
Old 04-14-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They just sent me an email with an apology and the offer of $10 off $100- I have to phone in and request it on my next order. Better than nothing I suppose.

Eh.