Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Netflix and Widescreen movies

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Well I wanted to rent The Mummy Returns.

They sent it to me in Full Screen and I sent it back with a note saying "Please send me this in Wide Screen"

That was months ago - and still nothing

So I went to reorder it and noticed that it was only available in "Full Screen"

So I called up a CSR and complained. She said they order what ever the Studio has available. I said there are both versions available - how do you decide. She said that most customers who call want to see movies in "Full Screen."

I suggested a link on their website that explains OAR and shows the diff.

She said that most people just don't like those "black bars"

Ohhhh Joe-6-Pack's voice is louder than ours at Netflix.

So I sent the following message to their marketing dpt:

"I noticed that the Mummy Returns is only available in Full Screen. - WHY???? This is a HUGE Blockbuster Movie. I want to see it in Widescreen.

I will never rent or buy any movie in "Full Screen."

I have been using your service since 1999, and always loved your selection and the fact that you carry Widescreen movies.. I recommend you to my friends and family.

Please tell me why I can not see this movie in it's Original Aspect Ratio."
Old 04-09-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not arguing with you, but of all the movies I've rented from them that are available in both formats, they've always listed the widescreen version, and that's what I got.
From what I've been hearing, I think they used to favor the full screen versions up until about 1-2 years ago, so DVDs released in multiple formats before then are full screen, and titles relased after that point are stocked in widescreen. I seem to remember people complaining specifically about Netflix's Mummy Returns being full screen only back when it was released, so it could also be just that one title.
I guess they figured out that 90% of their customers are film lovers, and the other 10% just don't care.
Old 04-09-03, 01:56 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Hope your right movie-man

I hope that the CSR I spoke to was the exception and not the rule.

I just wanted to point out that a according to her, a lot of customers are calling to request "Full Screen" and complaining about "Black Bars"

Let's keep our fingers crossed
Old 04-09-03, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts
I had the same experience with "The Mummy Returns" and ended up renting it elsewhere. However, that seems to be the exception, -it hasn't happened again. With any title that's available in both formats, I now always count on Netflix for my copy ('Buster is too hit-and-miss with "Full screen" and they've lost a lot of sales from me). If Netflix stops carrying widescreen, I'd definitely be screwed and I'd probably drop them.
Old 11-18-03, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Apparently Netflix is now promoting full screen:

Dear Chad,

You are receiving this email because you're waiting to receive the widescreen version of Finding Nemo that's in your Queue.

We want to let you know that the full-screen version of the film is available to be shipped immediately. The only difference between the two versions is the screen format (full screen vs. widescreen), but you will note that Disney and Pixar have provided an alternate selection of extensive bonus material on the full-screen version as well.

You can add the available full-screen version of Finding Nemo to the top of your queue now by clicking the link below. Then, be sure to remove Finding Nemo: Widescreen from your Queue by clicking the checkbox next to it and clicking the Update Your Queue button.

-Your Friends at Netflix
WTF? It doesn't seem to me they're doing much to educate people about the difference between the two. Of course the only difference is the format, but they don't explain the difference ...which is obviously a pretty damn big one. The average joe is going to read this and assume the only difference is those pesky black bars.

And it doesn't stop there. Recently I rented "The Silence of the Lambs" and received the full screen version despite it cleary saying widescreen on the site. I did the same thing as CPA-ESQ and returned it with a note saying: "I rented the widescreen version. If I wanted full screen, I'd rent VHS. Please send the entire movie next time and not just half of it. Thanks." Never received a response.

Doesn't look good.
Old 11-18-03, 07:37 PM

Wow. That's pretty messed up. That borders on blasphemy.

Burn them!
Old 11-19-03, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Actually, I'm going to applaud Netflix for communicating an alternative to you. At least they have both formats available for rent, and they don't just send you the format they happen to have in stock.
On the other hand, it certainly says something about the popularity of widescreen with Netflix customers if they're begging people to rent the full scren instead.
I'm going to give the to Netflix's customer service on this one.
Old 11-21-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mummy Returns
Forever Young

only two movies I've gotten from Netflix fullscreen - that was all that was available.

definitely want widescreen here, too.
Old 11-24-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I would have watched it in Fullscreen. It doesn't really make a difference to me. I own both widescreen and fullscreen, and while I have gotten used to watching widescreen (I used to be fullscreen all the time), if I have to watch a fullscreen movie, it doesn't bother me

I admit though, on some movies, widescreen is a must. Mummy Returns was a good movie, so watch it ASAP
Old 11-25-03, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by nickdawgy
I would have watched it in Fullscreen. It doesn't really make a difference to me. I own both widescreen and fullscreen, and while I have gotten used to watching widescreen (I used to be fullscreen all the time), if I have to watch a fullscreen movie, it doesn't bother me

I admit though, on some movies, widescreen is a must. Mummy Returns was a good movie, so watch it ASAP
On ALL MOVIES(where it's OAR) its a must. I will never understand how people can watch only a two thirds to one half of a movie. I got a DVD player before I knew anything about movies such as widescreen vs fullscreen and I never even noticed the "black bars." People are morons.
Old 11-30-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The one thing I can't stand about netflix is that there is no LOTR EE versions.
Old 11-30-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Damnit, it's happened again! I just popped in "Mary Shelley's Frankenstein" and it was the Wal-Mart $5.88 bin "exclusive" fullscreen version. Why is Netflix carrying the fullscreen only version when there is a widescreen/fullscreen one out? Is it possible someone slippped the FF version in place of the original? It lists the right version on the site:

Timeless and fascinating story of a man obsessed with conquering death. Features Robert DiNiro in a riveting performance.
Starring: Robert De Niro, Aidan Quinn, More
Director: Kenneth Branagh
Category: Horror
Format: Widescreen, More
Language: French, English, More
Subtitles: English, More
Awards: Academy Award Nominee, More
Seriously, am I the only one having this problem?