Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Paypal premier account question

Old 03-18-03, 02:08 PM

Paypal premier account question

I have been using a personal Paypal account for a couple of months now to accept payment for my ebay auctions. There hasnt been a charge for this... until now. I just had 2 auctions end, that were paid for by credit card, and now I find out on the Paypal site that I cannot accept these payments without upgrading to a Premier account and being charged a 2.9% fee +0.30 for each transaction! I understand the need (desire) for Paypal to charge for its services, but I didnt even get notice for this! Is there anyway to get around this? I am a small time seller, and paying these fees on the limited transactions I do limits what I can make from my auctions.

Just curious if anyone else knew about this and had any advice.
Thanks!
Old 03-18-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There really isn't any way to accept credit cards via Paypal without paying the Paypal fees. As there site says (and it has been this way for some time now):

Personal Accounts
Send money for FREE
Receive money for FREE (non-credit card payments only)
Can upgrade to a Premier account at any time

Premier Accounts
Send money for FREE
Low fees for receiving money
No limit on receiving credit card payments
Exclusive customer service hotline 7 days a week
Special tools for sellers
ATM debit card for select users

Paypal is accepting the credit card on your behalf - and, as any store or restaurant owner will confirm, there is always a fee when a credit card is accepted.

Old 03-18-03, 02:26 PM
Banned

why would you require a notice from Paypal. The info is their on their website, nothing new, no secrets! if you do not wish to pay
their service fees for having a Premier account, stick with the basic account.
Old 03-18-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You can switch back to a personal account ONE TIME ONLY, and from now on be sure to state in your auctions that you accept paypal but "from a bank account or paypal balance ONLY--not from a credit card."

I do this and don't use the paypal logo and it works just fine (though of course you'll still get the occasional moron paying with a credit even though you've stated 19 times you don't take 'em, but then you can just decline the payment, which is what you should have done in this case).
Old 03-18-03, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by OnkyoDVM301B
why would you require a notice from Paypal. The info is their on their website, nothing new, no secrets! if you do not wish to pay
their service fees for having a Premier account, stick with the basic account.
My problem isnt so much that you have to pay the fees (though obviously I would prefer not too), it was the way this came about, basically forcing me to pay the fees with short notice. If I choose not to pay them and continue with the basic account, then I lose the 2 sales I already made. I just feel like they should have said "You have 2 days to make this decision" instead of forcing me to make it on the spot, while 2 payments remain in limbo.
Old 03-18-03, 08:48 PM
Banned

sounds to me like you signed up for an account without bothering to check the terms of service and what YOUR obligations are, ebs.
if you do lose the 2 sales, that is no fault of paypal, you should have made it clear in your Ebay auctions that you do not accept
paypal payments funded by a credit card (or a debit for that matter, be aware that paypal considers debit cards as credit cards even though they might be purely and only linked to a checking account ONLY). Brtw, if you re-read your original post the whole issue you were making WAS IN FACT related to paypal's fees with respect to a Premier account. With respect to your comments about being forced to make a decision on the spot bla, bla, bla, I have absolutely no idea what on earth you are talking about. Not trying to play devil's advocate for paypal here but i think your comments are entirely unfounded!
Old 03-19-03, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Also you wouldn't necessarily "lose" the sales. Just decline the payments, tell the buyers you don't take credit cards, sorry, and have them pay with another method.
Old 03-19-03, 04:49 PM

If you said in your auction that you accepted PAYPAL, but didn't specify that you wouldn't accept payments funded by a credit card, then you're stuck - you must upgrate to a Premier account. If you did say you wouldn't accept payments funded by a credit card, then cancel the payments and politely point out your auction terms to your buyers.

I highly recommend upgrading to a Premier account. In the long run, if you run enough auctions, you will more than make up what you lose in fees. I often pass on auctions by sellers who won't accept credit card payments and I'm certain many others do also. That means less money for you, more, I believe, than what the fees would have cost you.
Old 03-20-03, 03:21 PM

I did the upgrade. I guess it was my misunderstanding... I re-read the agreement. The thing is, I have gotten like 10 other payments via paypal with no fees charged. I had just assumed they were credit card payments, but I guess they must not have been. Anyway, since you can have one premier and one personal account, I was thinking I may just have both.

I agree though, limiting to payment not by credit cards probably turns away buyers.
Old 03-20-03, 06:44 PM
Banned

Good decision ebs, I am sure you will notice an increase even in bids on your Ebay auctions now that you accept payments thru
Paypal funded by credit cards and take my word, you will find that if you generate enough sales, the services fees/commisssion charges are rather insignificant, at least at the current rates.
Good luck!
Old 03-21-03, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you can accept credit cards for a short period of time (up to $100 in payments, I think) before they make you upgrade to a premier account.