DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Paypal question .... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/278121-paypal-question.html)

jimmywong 03-13-03 01:46 PM

Paypal question ....

I do not allow Credit Card payments through Paypal. And as usual, I have a WHOLE LOT of people who do not read my item descriptions on Ebay or my notification letter. With the long preamble, here finally is the question:

If I deny a credit card payment on Paypal, do the senders have that amount as a balance in their account or is the amout simply refunded to their credit card?

Just wondering.

OnkyoDVM301B 03-13-03 02:49 PM

JimmyWong, if you read the help section on Paypal's website, it is clearly explained that denied credit card payments are credited back to the payer's credit card account!
The problem with Paypal is that they consider DEBIT cards which are linked to a checking account only as BEING A CREDIT CARD, so yes, you may have customers paying you with their debit card
and you would be unable to collect (unless you pay Paypal's fees)
even though the customer has strictly speaking not paid you with a credit card!
Read Paypal's Help section, you should find answers to the most common situations.

otmetrud 03-14-03 07:27 AM

I have a PayPal seller's account, but I don't use it very much. Can you enlighten me? Why do you refuse cc payments through PayPal?

spyzdope 03-14-03 07:36 AM

Originally posted by otmetrud
I have a PayPal seller's account, but I don't use it very much. Can you enlighten me? Why do you refuse cc payments through PayPal?
PayPal does not charge a fee if you only accept funds from PayPal balances or from or bank transfers. If you accept payment through cc, you have to pay them a fee (think it's 30 cents plus around 3%).

Personally, I think that my auctions garner more bids if I accept cc payments, so I'm willing to pay the fee.

jimmywong 03-14-03 02:34 PM

Originally posted by spyzdope
PayPal does not charge a fee if you only accept funds from PayPal balances or from or bank transfers. If you accept payment through cc, you have to pay them a fee (think it's 30 cents plus around 3%).

Personally, I think that my auctions garner more bids if I accept cc payments, so I'm willing to pay the fee.

If you upgrade don't ALL transactions garner a fee ... the CC as well as the transfer from paypal balances and e-checks??

BigT 03-15-03 05:12 PM

Unless PAYPAL has changed recently, a seller with a Premier or Busniness account will pay a fee regardless of the source - whether a credit card, Paypal balance, a bank transfer - with the exception of an e-check. Why an e-check is an exception is beyond me - it's really no different than a bank transfer. I have had money transferred to me using all methods and I have verified that what I've said is true - unfortunately. My opinion is that only a credit card payment should be charged a fee as this fee is charged to PAYPAL by the credit card companies and PAYPAL is, after all, only a service and should not have to accept that cost.

PenguinJoe 04-10-14 07:50 AM

Re: Paypal question ....

Here's a Paypal question, I transferred money three days ago from Paypal to my back account, it's said complete for the past day but doesn't show up in my bank account, I'm starting to wonder if something is wrong.

bunkaroo 04-10-14 01:23 PM

Depends on your bank. Some banks process transfers like that faster than others. Paypal will say complete once they've sent it, but that doesn't mean your bank has done their part yet. If you don't see it by Monday I'd call your bank.

DVD Josh 04-10-14 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by jimmywong (Post 3415464)
I do not allow Credit Card payments through Paypal. And as usual, I have a WHOLE LOT of people who do not read my item descriptions on Ebay or my notification letter. With the long preamble, here finally is the question:

If I deny a credit card payment on Paypal, do the senders have that amount as a balance in their account or is the amout simply refunded to their credit card?

Just wondering.

Interesting how you call out your buyers for not reading your item descriptions.

I now get to call YOU out for not reading your eBay/Paypal agreement, which explicitly states that if you accept Paypal, you cannot limit how people pay you on Paypal, which means they get to use credit cards.

So you know, glass houses and all.

Obi-Wanma 04-10-14 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 12074081)
Interesting how you call out your buyers for not reading your item descriptions.

I now get to call YOU out for not reading your eBay/Paypal agreement, which explicitly states that if you accept Paypal, you cannot limit how people pay you on Paypal, which means they get to use credit cards.

You know that this thread was started 11 years ago, right?

DVD Josh 04-10-14 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 12074083)
You know that this thread was started 11 years ago, right?

I am posting from 11 years ago.

Deftones 04-12-14 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 12074081)

sort of like how you didn't read the date of the OP. rotfl