Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

thumbs up for Costco

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

thumbs up for Costco

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-03, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thumbs up for Costco

Bought a (cough) Sylvania monitor from Costco around 2.5 years ago. It decided to stop turning on today. So, I boxed it up and brought it back. I wheeled it up to the customer service counter, expecting to at least be partially grilled about having no receipt, or having bought it in the somewhat distant past.

They did, in fact, ask if I had a receipt. If I did have one, they would have been able to credit me for the full amount I paid, rather than the lowest price at which they ever sold it. With no hassle to me at all, I ended up with $270 in store credit (19" CRT monitors have gotten cheap in the last 2 years), which ended up paying for 2/3 of the 17" Envision LCD I'm looking at right now.

I've always heard that Costco had a liberal return policy, and I've even advised people to buy big ticket items there with that in mind, but this is the first time I ever returned anything there.
Old 03-10-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I've heard the same about their return policy, but haven't needed to use it so far. The store has only been here a few months.
Old 03-11-03, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, great to hear about Costco.
Old 03-11-03, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily give 'em a ..

Maybe a thumbs sideways..

They're good..but their lack of payment options [AMEX is the only CC they take] & their refusal to accept manufacturer's coupons is annoying..
Old 03-12-03, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588
I wouldn't necessarily give 'em a ..

Maybe a thumbs sideways..

They're good..but their lack of payment options [AMEX is the only CC they take] & their refusal to accept manufacturer's coupons is annoying..
Well they only accept AMEX since up until the current generations of Blue cards from AMEX most had to be paid off the next month so they can be sure that they would in fact get their money and they probably want to keep their CC card processing fees low.

Prices at Costco are usually much cheaper than you would in a traditional retail store, so the fact that they don't take manufacturer's coupons can't be blamed on them. They're giving you a great deal already.

For example RINGU was priced at $20.99 this week compared with $24.99 for it at BestBuy.

The Ring was also priced around $18.XX but it also offered a $4.00 mail-in rebate which brought it down in price to the same as BestBuy.
Old 03-12-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh that's all true. I was just comparing it to BJ's Wholesale. They take a variety of CCs and maufacturer's coupons. In fact, they take a limit of four coupons per item..

That's not to say I don't shop at Costco though. I use 'em both.
Old 03-13-03, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588
Oh that's all true. I was just comparing it to BJ's Wholesale. They take a variety of CCs and maufacturer's coupons. In fact, they take a limit of four coupons per item..

That's not to say I don't shop at Costco though. I use 'em both.
Ahh, okay. It wasn't readily clear from your previous post who you were comparing them to. I have a BJ's that is semi-close to here, but I was only ever in there once and personally I hated the store layout and didn't think their selection was all that great.