DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   How are Kohl's? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/276587-how-kohls.html)

TomOpus 03-07-03 07:15 AM

How are Kohl's?

They are opening 26 stores in Southern California today (none in San Diego just yet). I was curious what they were like. It was mentioned they are similar to Target. Are they worth checking out or are they too similar to Target or Wal-Mart to bother with.

Thanks for any info.

taxman75024 03-07-03 07:38 AM

KOHL'S ROCK!

Their clothes are much better than Walmart or Target. Good clothes, very affordable. (You can find $42 Dockers on sale for $30 or less.) They are always having sales or promotions - my wife and I never pay regular price. After they have been in awhile, they have great clearance sales.

Also, if you get a Kohl's card, you get specials throughout the year. My wife and I buy most of our clothes there.

razorbackfan 03-07-03 08:29 AM

We got a Kohl's here last year and it's my favorite department store. Carries the same things as Dillard's and Macy's but a LOT cheaper.

movielib 03-07-03 09:27 AM

My wife practically lives at Kohl's.

They have good quality stuff at great prices. As stated above, lots of ways to get extra discounts.

One thing though. They do not carry electronics (they used to). No DVDs.

Heat 03-07-03 09:52 AM

It's a very good store.

One thing about Kohl's, though: Never buy anything at regular price. If it's not on sale this week, it'll be on sale next week.

RevLiver 03-07-03 10:23 AM

Kohl's is hands-down the best department store around. They sell great clothes, including Levi's, Haggar and Dockers and they are always having sales. I just started a new job and needed business casual clothes. I spent $550 there and got 2 pair shoes, 4 shirts, 8 ties, 12 pair socks and 3 pair pants. Macy's and other stores sell the same exact Dockers for up to $20 more.

Also, they keep all their checkouts at the front of the store like a grocery store, rather than scatter them in various departments. Makes it very easy to find open registers.

If you sign up for their store credit card, you get 10% off your entire purchase that day and you get even more sales and coupons in the mail.

dvdirv 03-07-03 11:24 AM

Excuse me, but what does Kohl's have to do with DVDs???

Like most others on this thread, I really like Kohl's and the store gives you good value for your money.

But why is this thread on DVD TALK??? :confused:

Movie_Man 03-07-03 11:28 AM

I haven't been to one, but was reading that they are a direct competitor to Mervyn's if that's of any assistance.

dvde 03-07-03 12:55 PM

Originally posted by dvdirv
Excuse me, but what does Kohl's have to do with DVDs???

Like most others on this thread, I really like Kohl's and the store gives you good value for your money.

But why is this thread on DVD TALK??? :confused:

This "Store Forum" and last I checked, Kohl's was a store. Not all the discussions in these forums are dvd related, I believe most aren't.

Cheddarmuff 03-07-03 01:13 PM

Unlike many of my fellow Talkers....I am not a fan of Kohl's....and I definately would not put them up again's a Marshall Fields, Kaufman's or Dillard's....personal opinion.

A big part probably has to do with my step-mom being a big fan...and my dislike for that life-sucking *****.... Breath...

Whatever floats you boat..

Iron Chef 03-07-03 01:40 PM

Kohl's IS great.

(Kohl's is not plural!)

UAIOE 03-07-03 01:43 PM

Originally posted by TomOpus
They are opening 26 stores in Southern California today (none in San Diego just yet). I was curious what they were like. It was mentioned they are similar to Target. Are they worth checking out or are they too similar to Target or Wal-Mart to bother with.

Thanks for any info.

The stores are very similar to the Mervyns/Mervins (however its spelled) stores.

Dansize 03-07-03 02:19 PM

There is one of the new stores in Ventura. They did a soft opening last weekend in advance of the Grand openings today.

In my opinion, they are a Mervyn's twin (slightly larger and more dense with the same merchandise. The layout of the store is similar and the product mix is exactly the same with the exception of a small toy section.

Personally, I wasn't impressed by the pricing, but they had not done anything less than retail when we visited. We will go back and give it another shot. If they do better in the pricing area, I can see them driving Mervyn's out of the market. Mervyn's has fallen out of favor for me because of a drop in customer service and an inadequate point of sale system that makes it difficult for a customer to use store credit (or any oter payment method) combined with another. Go ahead, try to pay partially with a credit card and a store credit.

I hope Kohl's works out here. There method of expansion (26 grand openings in one day) gives me some concern.

dvdirv 03-07-03 02:32 PM

Originally posted by dvde
This "Store Forum" and last I checked, Kohl's was a store. Not all the discussions in these forums are dvd related, I believe most aren't.

I would like to have dvde point out all the posts about stores that do NOT carry DVDs! If you check you'll find that most posts have to do with stores that carry DVDs.

If I am wrong, I would welcome a list of postings of other stores that DO NOT carry DVDs. :confused:

ernestrp 03-07-03 03:31 PM

Dont carry Dvd's.

They have alot of clothes. One opened near me last fall and they sent me 10.00 off anything coupon. They try to get you to get their CC as soon as you walk in the door. I got some underwear with the coupon and have never been back.

costanza187 03-07-03 04:33 PM

I shop there sometimes, its pretty cool

GuessWho 03-07-03 09:22 PM

Kohls is a lot closer to JC Penney than Target/Wal-Mart

dvde 03-07-03 09:38 PM

Originally posted by dvdirv
I would like to have dvde point out all the posts about stores that do NOT carry DVDs! If you check you'll find that most posts have to do with stores that carry DVDs.

If I am wrong, I would welcome a list of postings of other stores that DO NOT carry DVDs. :confused:

Are you kidding me?!?! Well my dad can beat up your dad. I can pee farther than you. Let's see, did I say "Store Forum"? Ah, NO. I said these forums. As for threads in the "Store Forum" that aren't about dvd's, try looking down on this page. A thread about KBToys (no mention of dvd's), Discover Card Cashback problems thread, to name a couple that are obvious. Like I'm going to waste my time pointing out the threads that don't discuss dvd's, because your being all pissy about it. Give me break and grow up!

movielib 03-08-03 12:42 AM

Re: How are Kohl's?

Originally posted by TomOpus

Thanks for any info.

Since Kohl's is a Wisconsin company there was an article in our evening paper about this. It said they will open stores in San Diego next year.

TomOpus 03-08-03 07:53 AM

Thanks for all your responses. I really thought I had included asking if they carried DVDs but I musta had temporary brain freeze. Sorry about that!

Sounds like I should at least check them out. I was hoping they'd be another source for electronics and DVDs but, ohwell, can't have everything. It should be interesting to see how well they do competing against established stores. At the very least maybe they will help bring prices down all around.

Thanks again and have a nice weekend.

Clicker 03-08-03 09:41 AM

Kohl's is designed to be a step up from Target but a step down from the "minor" major department stores like Macy's, a step up from discount and step down from department. They are set up as a department store with the exception of check outs at doors instead of departments. Their customer service can be iffy by store, but they typically open many stores in a market at the same time giving you the option of another if service at yours is iffy. Their merchandise is much better quality than any of the discounters, and similar to higher priced department stores, they are far more than convenient IMO than either the department or discount stores. Once you know the lay-out you can park at the door, run in and run out. DO NOT buy unless you catch a sale, their regular prices are inordinately high due to the fact they have so many sales. NO Electronics, and NO DVDs but their deals on small appliances are often quite good on sale. They are also great for household items, sheets, silverware, pots & pans etc. etc. etc., but again only when items are on sale. I have to add my wife works part-time in order to get additional discounts and they take very good care of their employee's, including frequent dinners out by departments for example. Given how stores such as Wal*Mart have traditionally treated and compensated their employees, they seem to counter the trend of hiring cheap, wearing them out and replacing employees regularly, for that reason alone they have better employees, resulting in a better shopping experience.

dvd-fanman 03-09-03 02:31 AM

Occasionally you can find DVDs in the toys and children section. I believe this past year I saw Monster's, Inc. and Lilo & Stitch DVDs. You're not going to find anything other than children's DVDs, but there MIGHT (a big might) be some there.