Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

rebate/promotion rant

Old 03-04-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

rebate/promotion rant

ok, this trend is really bugging me.

the first week in feb. i bought a memory card at BB b/c it had a $20 rebate instantly and a $10 mail-in rebate. followed the instructions and sent it it. yesterday i got a very vague postcard from them saying that i wasn't getting the rebate b/c i had screwed something up. so i called today and they said it was b/c i sent the wrong UPC barcode in (there was only one) and that i didn't purchase it within the right time frame (this is bullsh*t, BB advertised it and fulfilled their rebate promise). i told him that was ridiculous and he said "ok, since you're a valued customer i'll do it this time"

also, the comedy central fiasco with the south park commentaries. how they cashed all of our checks but waited till you called in for them!

what's going on? is this just new company strategy/policy? dont pay up promised item/money unless customer follows up???? very irritating! makes me wonder about my other outstanding rebates...
Old 03-04-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're not alone.

I purchased a Dell system back in October '02. I'm still waiting on my $100 rebate. I've complained to that darn rebate company 3 times. Today I took it up with Dell. We'll see what happens (I'm giving them 1 week). Otherwise I'll take it up with AmEx.

BTW, I also had a problem with a BB rebate. However, after writing a nasty letter directly to BB, they cut me a check.
Old 03-04-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i had forgotten about that! my b'friend bought me a dell PDA for x-mas and he still hasn't gotten the rebate for it. granted it's still kinda early but i'll have to keep it in mind. thanks!
Old 03-04-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DVD.guy
I purchased a Dell system back in October '02. I'm still waiting on my $100 rebate.
Grrrr....Iím still waiting for my $499 Dell rebate from October. They keep telling me that my packing slip which clearly states the rebate does not show purchase of any items eligible for a rebate. I've emailed., written, and phoned...still waiting.
Old 03-05-03, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: rebate/promotion rant

Originally posted by hgar78
also, the comedy central fiasco with the south park commentaries. how they cashed all of our checks but waited till you called in for them!
So that's the game they are playing with the commentaries?

Does anyone still have the coupon and have the phone number so I can call so they can ship mine as well? They cashed my check about 2 months ago.
Old 03-05-03, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, according to this thread, all of us who called got ours in a week. (the number is in there somewhere)

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ght=south+park
Old 03-05-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You might have trouble getting your credit card company to issue you credit back in the case of your not getting a rebate. They have pretty much determined that a rebate is not a part of the purchase.

Remember Cyberrebate? This store was offering 100% rebates after 90 days, but their merchandise was marked up ~ 10 times the actual value. They went bankrupt in May, 2001, and everybody who bought anything after December, 2000 (they were late on the rebates) were stuck with the merchandise (at 10x normal price) and no rebate. There were people with tens of thousands in due rebates, and many, many people with 5 or 10 thousand in outstanding rebates that were never coming.

So they appealed to their credit cards, but most of the credit cards have said that the rebate was not a part of the purchase; since they received their merchandise any disagreements over the rebate was between them and the store (which was bankrupt).

Some have successfully taken the credit card companies to small claims court even though it was their own stupidity, but most are out the money (though they still have the merchandise).

Here is a board from disgruntled cyberrebate people:

http://groups.msn.com/CyberrebateReb...pgmarket=en-us
Old 03-05-03, 12:22 PM

Rebates are, by design, a PITA to get. They deliberately make things vague and confusing, and make the requirements strict. The idea is to get people to buy the product for the "after rebate" cost, but then decide that it's not worth jumping through hoops to go after the rebate.

I don't know what the statistics are regarding how many purchasers of a rebate products actually send in for the rebate, but I imagine it's pretty low.

Of course, those of us who take the time to send off for rebates can get some great deals in the long run. I get checks all the time from several months ago on a product I don't even remember buying.
Old 03-06-03, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by hgar78
yeah, according to this thread, all of us who called got ours in a week. (the number is in there somewhere)

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ght=south+park
To my surprise they arrived in today's mail, so I didn't have to call after all.
Old 03-06-03, 09:35 AM
Banned

Exactly what brand of memory was this? You didn't state it in the original post. Some of want to know who the deadbeats are.
Old 03-06-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by icondude
Exactly what brand of memory was this? You didn't state it in the original post. Some of want to know who the deadbeats are.
PNY.
Old 03-06-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by icondude
PNY. we didnt know the brand but the price was too good to pass up. now i know why.