Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Netflix Strives for Next Day Service

Old 02-26-03, 09:53 AM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

Netflix Strives for Next Day Service

I stumbled onto this article this morning through Google News. It mentions that Netflix plans on having next-day service for 70% of its subscribers by the end of 2003.

Does anyone have next-day service from Netflix right now? I live in Maine and they have centers in Boston and Newark but I don't think they'll get much closer than that.

In another article (run a search for Netflix in Google News), Netflix says they plan on expanding to Europe and Asia in the next couple years.
Old 02-26-03, 01:13 PM

If they open a center in Virginia or North Carolina, I bet I would get them next day. I have to say, I'd didn't think I'd be happy going back, but I have to admit, their improvements have made it a good value again.
Old 02-26-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Current Netflix Distribution Centers:

Philadelphia, Newark, Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New York, San Jose, Stamford, Seattle, and Washington, DC
Old 02-26-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I live about 30-45 mins away from the NY distribution center so I usually get next day.
Old 02-26-03, 01:21 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by starri
If they open a center in Virginia or North Carolina, I bet I would get them next day. I have to say, I'd didn't think I'd be happy going back, but I have to admit, their improvements have made it a good value again.
Same here, I just rejoined after cancelling a while ago and the service has definitely improved. The Boston and Newark centers make all the difference now.
Old 02-26-03, 01:57 PM

I live about 15 miles from the distribution center in Santa Ana, Ca and didn't receive dvd's the next day most of the time.
Old 02-26-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was a member of Netflix for a year when it started and as it gradually got awful. I rejoined on a whim. I picked new releases which were all in stock (shock!!) on Mon night. They shipped Tues and I had them Weds. Pretty cool. I live near Detroit so thumbs up from me.
Old 02-27-03, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by Movie_Man
Current Netflix Distribution Centers:

Philadelphia, Newark, Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New York, San Jose, Stamford, Seattle, and Washington, DC

They don't have one in boston, its in worcester, near the center of the state.
Old 02-27-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm about 40 miles from the SJ center and for the most part I get next day delivery.
Old 02-27-03, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by jason978
They don't have one in boston, its in worcester, near the center of the state.
To better clarify, those cities are the general metropolitan area served, not the specific city the hub is physically located.
They just announced today that another center has been opened to serve the Phoenix area.
Old 02-27-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That would rock...I'm in NC, and most of mine recently have come from Gaithersburg MD, so it's usually two days here, two days back, counting the day I put it in the mailbox....last week I dropped something in the PO early Saturday afternoon, they had rec'd it on Monday.
I've been with them since May 2001, and apart from one instance where it took about a month to get a disk; once where they sent me the entirely wrong thing; and once where the disk was cracked all to heck, I've been 110% pleased. Selection, speed [with the MD center], convenience....
I'm on the 2 out plan, and one thing I don't like is that they changed that plan--2 out, max of 4 a month, which defeats the purpose. Luckily I'm grandfathered in so I have unlimited rentals/2 at a time, but still.

My question is, how do they make, or plan to make, money/profit? Unless they assume that the 'average' person is not going to be as anal about turnaround time as most of us probably are. I guess one subscriber's monthly fee roughly pays for one disk, which they can then rent out to who knows how many people [wonder what the half-life is of a rental DVD], and their overhead shouldn't be as much as a B&M store [now, their advertising budget, that's another story--everything in Best Buy has got a Netflix ad on it]. I guess the 10% of us who want to max out our rentals, are outweighed by the 90% who watch a movie or two a week.
Old 02-27-03, 01:11 PM

I really like them but the missing disc keep turning up on my account that want me to cancel my account.
they've been pretty good with me so far. But how many time do they want me to file a complaint with the post office.
I currently have 6 lost disc on my queue right now ever since they change my returning disc to Stamford distribution plant. I never have any lost disc going to worcester, mass
I don't think it's the USPS problem because one time I mailed all four disc at different location at different town. Some still turned up missing. It' s always missing when they're going back but I never have problem receiving them.
Other than that I really like renting from them. I don't want to end up paying for the discs if they're keep missing like that.
Old 02-27-03, 02:57 PM

I am 100 miles from San Jose. It is one day down and two days back from them except for the occasional 1 week! However, they have been very nice and sent extra DVD's when that happened again.
Old 02-27-03, 04:44 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Takes two to three days for me and 'm 3 hours northwest of NYC.
Old 02-27-03, 06:57 PM

There is also a distribution center in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
which opened up this week. I live about a few miles away from it and I can tell you that the service has been great. It used to take me about 1 week and a few days to get the next DVD from CA and now this week it has been about 2-3 days!

This story was featured this week in the Miami Herald business section in case anyone would like to read it. It talks mostly about the new center and Netflix services.

Miami Herald Article
Old 02-27-03, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by Dsilva71
There is also a distribution center in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Thanks for the info, I might consider joining again now. I had tried the free trial a while back and experienced fairly slow delivery to the Tampa area.
Old 02-28-03, 05:05 AM

My center is in Lansing, MI (near Detroit). I find it hard to believe any "intention" of Netflix to have overnight delivery is serious. Right now (Fri.) I've got an opening on my "discs sent" list and it says one will be sent by Monday. The opening came up yesterday, so Monday would be 4 days later. And I have numerous discs on my queue which are available "now." If they were serious about overnighting the discs, they woulnd't be putting off sending one when it's available. This happens every-so-often with Netflix and is irritating. Anyone else see this?
Old 02-28-03, 09:01 AM
Banned

They also have a distro center in TACOMA, WA - about 10 miles from my house.

I get most of my rentals next day and it's pretty awesome - well worth the ~$20+tax if you ask me.
Old 03-05-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Movie_Man
To better clarify, those cities are the general metropolitan area served, not the specific city the hub is physically located.
Ya, that's gotta be it.
I live one town over from Newark NJ and only about three weeks ago did my return envelopes change from NYC to New Brunswick NJ, which is about 30 miles from where I live.
I've never seen an actual "Newark" return address.
Old 03-07-03, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Phil L.
Ya, that's gotta be it.
I live one town over from Newark NJ and only about three weeks ago did my return envelopes change from NYC to New Brunswick NJ, which is about 30 miles from where I live.
I've never seen an actual "Newark" return address.
Could be Newark, DE? There are lots of other Newarks in the US.
Old 03-07-03, 03:12 PM

My return address was Flushing, NY up until a couple of weeks ago. Now my local center is right in New Brunswick, NJ, and I happen to be in the same town. I've been getting next day delivery and I'm starting to get next day or even same-day returns.

I've also noticed the seemingly new "We'll ship your next movie out by Monday" message when they just received something on Thursday, but so far I have already had the disc in hand by the time I see that message on the queue page.

Also, the usual "For Fri: A Movie" emails seem to arrive the day after the queue page has already been updated with the recently sent discs, but luckily movies have been arriving a day or two before the date the email says the next disc should arrive. When my dist. center was still in Flushing, I usually did get the discs on the day the email said they would arrive.

So far so good (for me anyway)!