DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Ebay Scandal? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/273779-ebay-scandal.html)

CitizenKaneRBud 02-24-03 06:22 AM

Ebay Scandal?

I just got this email from [email protected]. It's very suspicious, especially considering it was sent to another user with a very similar email address to mine as well -

Subj: Urgent Ebay Updates
Date: 2/23/2003 11:35:21 PM Eastern Standard Time
To: [email protected]
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Dear Ebay Member,
Recently we attempted to authorize payment from your credit card we have on file for you, but it was declined.
For security purposes, our system automatically removes credit card information from an account when there
is a problem or the card expires.
Please resubmit the credit card, and provide us with new and complete information.
To resubmit credit card information via our secure server, click the following link,
login to your account and resubmit your information:
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn

This is the quickest and easiest method of getting credit card information to us.
Using the secure server will ensure that the credit card will be placed on account within 24 hours.

Copyright 1995-2002 eBay Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
fzydfsj u xeg oi b h

---------------------------------------

When I click the link and sign in, it takes me to a webpage with lots of numbers on the address bar; nothing having to do with ebay, although all the links do work.

What do you guys think about that?

gr8fuldave 02-24-03 08:15 AM

Its a scam to steal EBAY user ID's and passwords as well as credit card numbers. Its been all over the national news. Better change your ebay ID and pass and credit card #

davejt1 02-24-03 08:38 AM

DO NOT respond to this eBay e-mail at all!

I can't stress this enough. This is a scam that's been going around for a while now. They send out e-mails to a bunch of people hoping that some of them, by sheer probability, do business with ebay. When that person gets the e-mail and panics, they send out their credit card info ASAP. Little do they know that they are sending their information to someone who's going to steal it for their own use. You won't realize what happened for another month or two, and by then, it's too late.

As far as I know, most credit cards offer protection on your card, meaning that if your number is stolen, you are not responsible for any unauthorized charges. However, that only counts from the minute that you call it is as being stolen. Thus, if anything was charged between the time your number was stolen and the time you phone it in as being stolen, to paraphrase the words of Jake (Blues Brothers)..."it looks like you're up s**t creek without a paddle."

If anyone can offer more info. on this please do so. This is how it was explained to me here on my job. Thus, I can't go on a wild spending spree (buying DVDs, let's say) with my company credit card, phone it in a week later as being stolen, and think I'm off the hook. If you were, people would be doing this all the time.

D_N_G 02-24-03 09:48 AM

That looks like an official Ebay email to me.
It even points to the Ebay DNS website not a scam site. And has an official Ebay email address.

If you recently sold any items and Ebay has tried to charge their listing fees to your card, but the card is expired or is no longer valid, you will get that exact email word for word.

Ebay automatically bills the card on file, if your card has expired and you do not update it Ebay can seek legal action for non payment

I have recieved numerous scam emails and all of which have addresses such as [email protected], etc and web links that point to sites like ebay.hitech.com, which is definitely a scam from the DNS name.

I would get on Ebay and check your card status (probably expired) as this looks 100% official.

*edit*

Just saw you said this was sent to another email addy, was this in the CC section of the email? If so then it is a scam as ebay only does correspondence per individual not as a group. Either wayjust go to the official Ebay site, go to your account and check your card status.

Cheddarmuff 02-24-03 12:14 PM

Originally posted by davejt1
As far as I know, most credit cards offer protection on your card, meaning that if your number is stolen, you are not responsible for any unauthorized charges. However, that only counts from the minute that you call it is as being stolen. Thus, if anything was charged between the time your number was stolen and the time you phone it in as being stolen, to paraphrase the words of Jake (Blues Brothers)..."it looks like you're up s**t creek without a paddle."

If anyone can offer more info. on this please do so. This is how it was explained to me here on my job. Thus, I can't go on a wild spending spree (buying DVDs, let's say) with my company credit card, phone it in a week later as being stolen, and think I'm off the hook. If you were, people would be doing this all the time.

Not true....(based on my past experiences)If you report your card stoled on Monday but the last time you used it was last Thursday, you are not liable for anything charged since your last purchase. If you do as you say, charge and then report the card stolen, you could be held liable for credit card fraud.

I had my car broken into in college and they took three credit cards, one was a calling card that I didn't realize was stolen until a month later when a $900 bill showed up. I called immediately and found out the balance was up to $2,500, they forgave all the charges. The same thing happened with the other two cards which were stolen.

The credit card companies will ask you what is the last charge you made was and move on from there. Most stores have closed circuit cameras and they can be used to track down the offender.

CitizenKaneRBud 02-24-03 01:38 PM

I just checked my account and I was already charged the monthly ebay selling fees, and my credit card information is all correct. Looks like it is a big scandal. All I did was write in my name and password, but I just changed the password. Thanks for the heads up! That could have been a big disaster.

jimbo 02-24-03 02:22 PM

Originally posted by D_N_G
That looks like an official Ebay email to me.
It even points to the Ebay DNS website not a scam site. And has an official Ebay email address.

I did a mouseover on the link on the emails I recieved and it actually goes to a non-ebay.com address.

JamesBrian 02-24-03 08:16 PM

I reported a similar email to eBay a couple weeks ago and received the following response:
<Hello,
Thank you for writing regarding the email you received.
The message you received was not sent by eBay nor was it endorsed by us in any way. By altering the reply-to address for this email, it appears to have come from an eBay email address, when it actually came from an external email address. This also means that hitting the reply to buttonwill send the message to the altered email address in the reply to field. This process is commonly referred to as "Spoofing".

Please rest assured that your account standing has not changed and that your auctions have not been affected. We are currently investigating the source of the email. Although we are unable to provide specific information regarding the result of our investigation, we do take these offenses very seriously and will make sure that appropriate action is taken against those responsible.

Please remember that eBay will never ask you for your private
information, including credit card information or password, in an email.
Also, eBay will never send you any request or solicitation from a
non-eBay email account, or provide a link outside of eBay for entering credit card or other private information. If you ever need to give us information, it is suggested that going to the main website and following links there to the site map or any other place you may need to give information, is best. You will know for certain that you are on eBay.

If you have entered your user ID in the email message provided you will wish to change your password following the steps below:
* Click on the site map link (located at the top of any eBay page)
* Scroll through the 'Services' section
* Click on the link 'Change my password'
Then once you are on the Change your password page, follow the instructions that appear on that page.

In the future if you receive a similar email, do not respond to it, and contact us through the Rules and Safety Support at the following URL:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/select-RS.html
Please also note that User ID's can be seen by anyone visiting the site, therefore, we recommend that all members have a user ID that is not their email address to prevent visitors from obtaining your email address from the site. A User ID is a "nickname" you select that identifies you at eBay such as "Betty2000" or "TinyTrees."
If your user ID is currently your email address you may change it by following the instructions below:

* Click on the site map link located at the top of any eBay page
* Scroll through the 'Services' section
* Click on 'Change my User ID' and follow the instructions on that page

All of your account information will be linked to the new ID including your feedback profile. Additionally, you will have a set of "shades"next to your new ID for 30 days to alert members to the change.

More information about account security can be found at the following
address:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/account_p...ame=CMDV:AB000

We apologize for any confusion this message created for you and we appreciate your efforts in helping keep eBay a safe trading place.

Regards,

Stu
eBay SafeHarbor
Investigations Team

Important: eBay will not ask you for sensitive personal information
(such as your password, credit card and bank account numbers, Social
Security numbers, etc.) in an email. Learn more account protection tips
at:

http://www.pages.ebay.com/help/account_protection.html

For our latest announcements, please check:

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/announce.shtml

Form Message
Subject: I don't think an email I received is actually from eBay.
42010331 #US RD2
Item:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; Win 9x 4.90)

I'm reporting the following suspicious email receired today:
THIS IS THE SUSPICIOUS EMAIL
<[email protected] <[email protected]>
Saturday, January 18, 2003 12:26 PM
none
eBay Verification #20061

Dear eBay User,
During our regular update and verification of the accounts, we couldn't
verify your current information. Either your information has changed or
it is incomplete.
Please update and verify your information by signing in your account
below :
If the account information is not updated to current information within
5 days then, your access to bid or buy on eBay will be restricted.
go to this link below:

http://www.ebay.com/acounts/memb/avn...?dll87443%2213

***Please Do Not Reply To This E-Mail As You Will Not Receive A
Response***

Thank you
Accounts Managent

As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you
information about site changes and enhancements. Visit our Privacy
Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

Copyright 2002 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective
owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc

Announcements | Register | SafeHarbor (Rules & Safety) | Feedback
Forum | About eBay

------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------

Copyright © 1995-2001 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective
owners.
Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the eBay User Agreement
and Privacy Policy.
#############################################
here is the page they linked to, asking for ebay and paypal account
numbers:
http://63.104.239.199/~iceroot/

HERE IS THE EMAIL PATH
#########################

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from tambor.dsi.uminho.pt ([193.137.8.102])
by rwcrgwc54.attbi.com
(InterMail vM.4.01.03.37 201-229-121-137-20020806) with SMTP
id
<[email protected]>
for <[email protected]>; Sat, 18 Jan 2003 17:27:23 +0000
Received: from 193.137.8.102 (unverified [63.104.239.199]) by
tambor.dsi.uminho.pt
(EMWAC SMTPRS 0.83) with SMTP id <[email protected]>;
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 17:17:10 +0000
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Subject: eBay Verification #20061
Sender: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1"
Date: Sat Jan 18 12:26:41 2003
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

davejt1 02-25-03 08:04 AM

Originally posted by Cheddarmuff
Not true....(based on my past experiences)If you report your card stoled on Monday but the last time you used it was last Thursday, you are not liable for anything charged since your last purchase. If you do as you say, charge and then report the card stolen, you could be held liable for credit card fraud.

Thanks, Cheddarmuff.

marty888 02-25-03 01:27 PM

A basis rule (for me) of internet life: <b>NEVER</b> access this type of account information from an email. If you think that the request for updated/corrected information may be legit, close the email and go directly to the site's regular url for access to your account information.

calhoun07 02-26-03 12:01 AM

That's sound advice. I never click on links in email when it comes to secure information either.

I think I got this email myself. I am not 100% sure, but when I first started to sell stuff on Ebay after an absense of selling on there for a while, I had to update my card info to be charged my fees, which I did at www.ebay.com, not a link in an email. Later, I got an email similar to this. I didn't even jack around with it, because I knew I had updated my card info and I felt if they needed to update it AGAIN, I could care less, that's on them for losing my information. Well, when my fees got taken out as normal, I thought they needed my updated info and figured, well, I guess not. Now I am wondering if I got this scam email!