Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

how to report bootlegs to half.com and ebay?

Old 02-16-03, 01:42 PM

how to report bootlegs to half.com and ebay?

i keep seeing these and they bother me. and i was wondering how i could report them to proper authorities.
Old 02-16-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A few years ago I was contacting half.com regularly about bootlegs through thier online help system whenever I'd run across a shady listing. I'd get a generic response and they never took any action against the sellers, they'd still have the bootlegs listed. Maybe they've cracked down on the boots, but I doubt it.
Old 02-16-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You need to be the copyright holder to file a complaint. They can be the only ones to get the auctions taken down. AFAIK, Disney is the main company that actively works at keeping bootlegs off these sites, most others seem to turn a blind eye to it. Perhaps if you feel there is a serious problem that warrants the copyright holders to take notice, you could try contacting the studio directly.
Old 02-16-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

what exactly is the penalty if people get caught doing this??
Old 02-16-03, 08:06 PM

My girlfriend once bought an Animal House DVD from Half.com to surprise me. She didn't realize that the seller sold her a bootleg. Fortunately, I sent enough threats that he would be reported so that we got refunded. However, we just don't think that he should be let go. I tried to find a way to report this. But I've found no where that Half.com will do anything with sellers who sell bootlegs. And Univeral is not a VeRO (Verified Right Owner) on eBay. So, nothing much I could do.

Unfortunately, Half.com is a good place to sell boolegs since they do not provide much information regarding the transactions.

Personally, I'd love to see eBay getting sued by studios for the reason that eBay has allowed "illegal" DVDs to be sold. I understand that eBay has their current policy based on the fact that they cannot verify which items are legit and which ones are not. Yes, true. However, for some DVDs like "imported", "region 0" or "region free", these are obviously "illegal" to be sold in the US and some other countries. By the term "illegal", it should make no difference from selling drug, weapons and other illegal items. But eBay just ignores this. That's why I'd like to see them getting sued one day.

Originally posted by costanza187
what exactly is the penalty if people get caught doing this??
When I reported an eBay member who was selling a bunch of bootlegged Disney's DVDs on eBay to "disneyvero", all of his auctions got pulled. And his account was later suspended.

After reading the policy, I don't think the sellers' account will be suspended just because they sell SOME bootlegged DVDs. It only states that the VeRO member will report the auction(s) to eBay. eBay will then pull out the auction(s) in question and politely request that the seller will not relist similar item(s) again. However, for a seller who sells a bunch of those things, it's highly likely that the account will be suspended.

Last edited by Clemson656; 02-16-03 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-16-03, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there a risk of jail time??

(for the record...I have never sold bootlegs if that's what people are thinking)
Old 02-16-03, 09:15 PM

i believe there would be risk of jail and fine if the people who are able to sue take action, but i doubt any company would take action.
Old 02-16-03, 09:48 PM

i reported a seller that has at least 4 separate accounts on half.com that he sells "imports" of DVDs that already have official USA releases. the response i got back from half.com was that they do not prohibit the sale of imports, plain and simple. the customer service agent that wrote me back even quoted the word "imports" - to me, that implied he was in-the-know that these are bootlegs. they're making money too, they don't care.
Old 02-17-03, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, no use reporting the seller to ebay. As others have said, they don't care.

I also find it interesting that many/most film production companies don't care, although I know for a fact that Criterion (as a VERO member) has had auctions pulled. But even that seems few and far between/scattershot.

Because of the lack of policing, eBay is a haven for selling/buying bootlegs, but every once in a while there's a story like this one:

http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/can/press/...21_acosta.html

"In pleading guilty, Mr. Acosta admitted that he had offered for sale over the Internet on eBay and Yahoo! auctions at least 10 copies of recordings of a live musical performance by Thirty Odd Foot of Grunts on August 4, 2000 in Austin, Texas....The maximum statutory penalty for each count ....is one year imprisonment and a fine of $100,000."
Old 02-17-03, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by new2theplace
"In pleading guilty, Mr. Acosta admitted that he had offered for sale over the Internet on eBay and Yahoo! auctions at least 10 copies of recordings of a live musical performance by Thirty Odd Foot of Grunts on August 4, 2000 in Austin, Texas....The maximum statutory penalty for each count ....is one year imprisonment and a fine of $100,000."
this is the russel crowe group, right?
Old 02-17-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by WiccanPagan
this is the russel crowe group, right?
Yup. And I'd guess (but I don't know) that it was probably Russel Crowe (or his people) that made this arrest/conviction happen.
Old 02-20-03, 06:41 AM

Don't mess with me recordings, mate, or I'll clean your clock!
Old 02-20-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's funny. I've seen guys from Hong Kong selling nothing but otherwise unavailable DVDs of japanese anime and sentai programming busted after getting one negative complaint, but at anytime there are dozens of Star Wars original trilogy and LOTR; The Two Towers DVDs available. Hell, I've even seen links at the top of the page for "Star Wars DVDs - Buy It Now!" which leads mainly to bootleg OT sets.

I know eBay can't police every bootlegger on there, but they damn well could keep track of bootlegs for movies still in theaters and for well known things like Star Wars.
Old 02-21-03, 11:11 PM

A collegue of mine has a friend who sells hunders of copies of Scarface each week. You would think that studios and / or retailers would be against this.
Old 02-26-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If ebay was to really crack down on bootlegging they'd lose out millions of dollars, seriously. There is an increadible amount of bootleged **** on there. Probobably about 80-90% of their anime dvds are bootleg, their starwars dvds, that they will actually advertise, bootleged criterions, and other dvds just to name a few of the categories they have.
Old 03-05-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OH cmon. The biggest asian/anime whatever bootlegger on e-bay has over 14,000 positives. Too much of a ca$h cow for e-bay to kick him off. money talks... bs walks.
Old 03-05-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyways..

USE THIS LINK:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/select-RS.html

You need to make a coherent detailed statement when reporting someone. If not, they will ignore you. Be polite and state your case. Ask them to contact xxx VERO.

They do listen.
Old 03-05-03, 03:04 PM

axolotls return thank you very much. if i get angered enough again i am definitely going to do such. is there a place where i can see which companies are part of vero.
Old 03-05-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The VEROS are listed in the E-Bay help section somewhere... I suggest you contact the MPAA VERO (they cover most of the big studios) and the individual ones themselves. They should have "about me" pages on e-Bay. If you can't find it, I'll take a stab at it.
Old 03-06-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ebay won't care for the simple reason that they make money off the auctions too. Report it to the copyright holder.
Old 03-06-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

E-Bay will not take action unless a VERO requests the auction be taken down.

or ..If you put a word like "bad-ass" in your listing.. it will be taken down automatically.

Some exceptions are like when they removed all listings for Columbia debris etc etc
Old 03-19-03, 03:42 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
What if you buy a disc that looks legit in the listing (because the lister intentionally mis-represented the disc) but then you receive a bootleg after you've bought it?

This happened to me. I filed a report with Ebay, but I don't know if they can help me get my money back or not.

-- Jouh
Old 03-19-03, 06:18 PM

i believe you should be able to get your money back. especially if the product is 1. illegal and 2. said to be legit. if you paid through paypal you can receive payment back through them pretty easily.