Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

You Think You're the Only One with Best Buy Troubles?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 02-14-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Go get'em, Tony!

From the Chicago Sun Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/zweck...-ftr-zp07.html

'Sopranos' aim sights at Best Buy

February 7, 2003

BY BILL ZWECKER SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

The Sopranos are going to court--for real. Eight cast members of the hit HBO show "The Sopranos"--James Gandolfini, Lorraine Bracco, Edie Falco, Michael Imperioli, Steve Van Zandt, Tony Sirico, Robert Iler and Jamie-Lynn Sigler--have filed suit in Los Angeles Superior Court against the Best Buy electronics retailer. The actors are suing the Minnesota-based company for allegedly misappropriating their likenesses in an ad last year.

According to the lawsuits, Best Buy ran an ad insert in newspapers across the country in February 2002, offering customers a $25 gift card, three months of a movie channel and a DirecTV satellite dish system for $49.99, after a mail-in rebate. In the background of the ad was a publicity photo of the "Sopranos" cast, along with this copy: "Call the Boys. Tell 'em I got a sweet deal for 'em. But it ain't gonna last long. They got all the shows a guy wants, plus 'The Sopranos.' What, you got a problem with that?"

Best Buy had no comment on the action.
Old 02-15-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How f-ing stupid. They don't have anything better to do?

Stuff like this makes me hate the present state of America.
Old 02-15-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what the....?
Old 02-15-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate Best Buy, but i hate stupid lawsuits as well.

Hmmm... I don't care who wins this battle.
Old 02-15-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why is using the image and name of a popular TV show to sell your product without the permission of that popular TV show suddenly a supid lawsuit?? THEY DID NOT HAVE PERMISSION. And yet people on this site rail against people who download MP3s because they are stealing. Best Buy made money off of the popularity of Sopranos and did not give recompense to HBO for that use. They stole from HBO and should pay.
Old 02-16-03, 11:33 AM
Cool New Member

Well said calhoun07. Couldn't agree with ya more.
Old 02-16-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh sure, they made money off of the Sopranos...like the same amount of people wouldn't have hit up whatever deal they were advertising if they weren't in the ad?

Screw this. Frivolous lawsuits are retarded, and so is whoever thinks that the Sopranos people should sue.
Old 02-16-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tarantino
Oh sure, they made money off of the Sopranos...like the same amount of people wouldn't have hit up whatever deal they were advertising if they weren't in the ad?

Screw this. Frivolous lawsuits are retarded, and so is whoever thinks that the Sopranos people should sue.
What a jack ass. Of course, if anybody thinks differntly from you, they are "retarded." Brilliant post man, absolutely brilliant. You put as much thought into taking a crap.

Last edited by calhoun07; 02-16-03 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-16-03, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally posted by Tarantino

So then you'd have no problem with, say, NAMBLA running an advertisement with your picture in it, thereby implying you endorsed them.
Old 02-17-03, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All i have ever seen in the ads are TV's with the season sets artwork superimposed onto the TV screens. Thats what i figured this was about.

If they used scenes from the show or whatever fine...sue, but if its for what i thought it was about why bother? They sell the damn things who cares if its put on one of thier little TV's?
Old 02-17-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Do they have to get permission to use a cast picture for advertising the Sopraonos DVDs? If so, then I understand the lawsuit, but if not, then the ad is for those DVDs as well as any other product.
Old 02-17-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by calhoun07
Why is using the image and name of a popular TV show to sell your product without the permission of that popular TV show suddenly a supid lawsuit?? THEY DID NOT HAVE PERMISSION. And yet people on this site rail against people who download MP3s because they are stealing. Best Buy made money off of the popularity of Sopranos and did not give recompense to HBO for that use. They stole from HBO and should pay.

word
Old 02-17-03, 12:05 PM

Aren't these guys rich enough? They have a valid case, but seriously.