Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Another BB extended warranty story

Old 02-06-03, 10:01 AM

Another BB extended warranty story

I was in BB last night and spied a nice 27" Samsung flat screen tv open box. The sales rep. told me that flat screens had a higher than average number of problems, so he would recommed the extended service plan. He then added that Samsung does not have a service location in the DFW area, so if I needed service, even if the tv was in warranty, I would be responsible for shipping costs to and from Samsung. I, of course, rejected this great offer for the extended warranty.

When I got home and opened the tv, I decided to read through the warranty. Lo and behold, on tvs larger than 26" Samsung provides in-home warranty service from authorized personnel, and if work is necessary in the shop, they will be responsible for transportation of items under warranty.

Good thing I did not buy the service plan, but it pisses me off that he either lied or just plain made stuff up!
Old 02-06-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They do that. I bought a computer there a few months ago, and the guy told me that I should buy the warranty because if it ever needs to be fixed I will have to pay shipping to and from Hong Kong. Keep in mind this computer is assembled somewhere on the east coast of the US. I have no idea where he got Hong Kong from other than making it up.

I like to lie right back to them, I told the guy, "Perfect, I'm in Hong Kong every couple of months on business, if I have a problem I'll just take it with me next time. I'm definitely not going to waste my money on the warranty then!"
Old 02-06-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Another BB extended warranty story

Originally posted by taxman75024
Good thing I did not buy the service plan, but it pisses me off that he either lied or just plain made stuff up!
If I were you I'd go back to BB and tell the guy. He might just be unknowingly ignorant in his misinformation. If he is lying, then it'd be great to throw it back at him.
Old 02-06-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by renaldow
I should buy the warranty because if it ever needs to be fixed I will have to pay shipping to and from Hong Kong.

That's a new one!
Old 02-11-03, 11:42 AM
Banned

Well the warranty in the box is probably the usual 90 days free labor, and 1 year free parts. So getting a warranty at the store for 3 years isn't a bad idea. But yeah he did mislead you.
Old 02-12-03, 11:09 AM

IANAL, but isn't intentionally misleading the customer illegal? Because of the pressure to push these extended warranties, it does seem that the employees are purposefully (rather than unintentionally) misinforming the customer.
Old 02-13-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I work at best buy, and we have a few people who will out and out lie to the customers about service, and the diffrent warranties. I guess that is how you make it to the top in the world of best buy. Heck, I was wrote up for being honest with a customer when I told them that one of the other salesmen was wrong with some of the information that he gave the customer.
Old 02-17-03, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by tjr2mental
I work at best buy, and we have a few people who will out and out lie to the customers about service, and the diffrent warranties. I guess that is how you make it to the top in the world of best buy. Heck, I was wrote up for being honest with a customer when I told them that one of the other salesmen was wrong with some of the information that he gave the customer.
WTF?! you got written up for being honest with a customer? This is the kind of crap that BB does that really pisses me off. It seems like they keep their employees either ignorant or misleading.
Old 02-23-03, 11:10 AM

Whenever I've bought something bestbuy, they of course have offered me the extended warranty, but never really had any pushy employees. I do often buy it whenever I get something either expensive or fragile like a MD player or my recent LCD monitor.