Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

to anyone that works at BB/CC

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-03, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best Buy/Circuit City jobs
just wondering what are some of the benefits? like employee discount and stuff...
wage?

Thanks
Old 02-06-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bump and i'd like to ask the same for blockbuster, hollywood, and suncoast.
Old 02-06-03, 10:27 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Blockbuster:
20% off/sometimes 30% (on top of sales e.g. B2G1)
5 rentals (games and/or movies) per week
able to preview movies week before they're released
Old 02-07-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I work at Best Buy.

Discount: Cost of the item to the store, plus 5% (real good deal on accessories, cables, phone stuff, car stuff *50-70% off*, not so good on computer stuff)

Wages? I couldn't say for other departments, but at the position I'm in, I pull in 18.94 an hour.
Old 02-07-03, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tarantino
Wages? I couldn't say for other departments, but at the position I'm in, I pull in 18.94 an hour.
I'd sure like to know what department that is in, and how long you've been there if you don't mind sharing.
Old 02-07-03, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Merchandising, Supervisor. I've been there for around 6 months, but my previous experience and the area that I work in got me the wage.

I also used to work with the manager that hired me, add in the fact that they baited me from another job where I was making comparable cash, and BAM.

It was worth it. And bonuses rule.

Last edited by Tarantino; 02-07-03 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-07-03, 12:03 PM

I work at Best Buy.

Discount: Cost of the item to the store, plus 5% (real good deal on accessories, cables, phone stuff, car stuff *50-70% off*, not so good on computer stuff)

Out of curiosity, do you know what the cost to the store is for DVDs. For example, on release week if they sell one of their big new releases for $14.99, approximately how much does it cost them?
Old 02-07-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Usually you won't get anything off of a deal-priced new release. DVD's are minimal profit for retail stores. On a 19.99 movie, the employee price is around 17.40.

Old 02-07-03, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup, I work at BB too. On dvds, its better for us to buy them on the first week of the release cuz we'll get it the same price as normal customers. Like he said its best on accessories, car audio, home audio, tvs, appliances.

Yea, as far as wages its going to depend on where you live since the cost of living in your area will affect you pay. If you want to make around his money, then be a sup or a manager.
Old 02-08-03, 11:50 AM

Usually you won't get anything off of a deal-priced new release. DVD's are minimal profit for retail stores. On a 19.99 movie, the employee price is around 17.40.

So, when I buy DVDs from CH for around $7, I'm actually getting them a lot cheaper than BB does. Wow, it just makes it that much harder to believe that CH makes money off of us DVD Talkers who are maximizing the savings codes.
Old 02-08-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Personally, I don't know how they stay in business.
Old 02-10-03, 12:59 AM

It is also said that the "cost" that BB tells their employees is not even the real cost.
Old 02-10-03, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is. Add on 5% and that's our discount. Trust me.
Old 02-10-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm.. sounds like I should befriend some of my local BB & CC employees. It sure would be a great way to stock up on digital media for my camera.

I had thought about getting a part-time job at my local BB, mainly for the benefits. However, my previous experience working retail (in the mall) has soured me greatly.
Old 02-10-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not in sales, so I like it. I get there before the store opens, I leave around 2 pm.
Old 02-10-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by spyzdope
So, when I buy DVDs from CH for around $7, I'm actually getting them a lot cheaper than BB does. Wow, it just makes it that much harder to believe that CH makes money off of us DVD Talkers who are maximizing the savings codes.
For every person maximizing the codes there are probably two or three less cost conscience people who continue to buy movies at the $20 - $25 price plus shipping & tax....

Those are the people CH makes their profits from...
Old 02-12-03, 11:31 PM

I pull in about $7.25 an hour working at Best Buy. Sometimes I think it's not enough for what they expect me to do.

Originally posted by Spy021

I had thought about getting a part-time job at my local BB, mainly for the benefits. However, my previous experience working retail (in the mall) has soured me greatly.
The only real benefit of working part time is the discount. The rest of the benefits go to the full time people. If you think your previous retail experience in the mall soured you greatly, you are in for a really nice treat at Best Buy, and I say that with a really huge grin on my face.

FYI, the discount at Circuit City is exactly store cost.
Old 02-12-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've read stories at "a certain website" that say that working at BestBuy is not the greatest in the world.

The vibe I'm getting from this thread is that it all depends on the store, and comments found on previously mentioned website should not be applied to the chain in general?

(Although it doesn't bode well that the two BB stores near me are listed on said website.)
Old 02-13-03, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It depends partly on the store. If you want benefits (like Med, Dental...), you HAVE to be full time. I like working there for many reasons...good pay, nice boss, great hours, good discount. There are many not so good points, but the good outweight the bad, where I am.
Old 02-13-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Spy021
Hmm.. sounds like I should befriend some of my local BB & CC employees. It sure would be a great way to stock up on digital media for my camera.
This is probably the best idea.

Working at Best Buy soured me greatly. To be honest, i'd rather work at the mall than apend another shift babysitting media storage and trying to keep track of all the crap that may or may not be bought.

But this is just me and this is just the store here. You may find better results elsewhere.
Old 04-16-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone working at Best Buy, can you use your discount to purchasing something for a friend?
Old 04-16-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
My cousin was a seasonal worker at BB recently, and he said that he was only allowed to buy items at discount for himself and his direct family. I tried to get him to buy some GBA games for me, at which point I would "lose" some $20 bills in his room "accidentally," but I think the BB managers scared them enough to keep him from trying this.
Old 04-16-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ben12
My cousin was a seasonal worker at BB recently, and he said that he was only allowed to buy items at discount for himself and his direct family. I tried to get him to buy some GBA games for me, at which point I would "lose" some $20 bills in his room "accidentally," but I think the BB managers scared them enough to keep him from trying this.
This really stinks but there's no way of them knowing who he's buying for..

The reason I ask is that I am looking for a TV and willing to pay the employee for his time and effort. I guess he benefits and I benefits (who cares about best buy). I frequent the Bailey's X-Road, VA Best Buy if anyone wants to help a fellow dvdtalker out.

Thanks
Old 04-16-03, 12:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
It is also said that the "cost" that BB tells their employees is not even the real cost.
So the BB employees lie to themselves?
Old 04-17-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ben12
Why I don't think there'd be anything wrong with him buying you some "gifts" and you getting him a nice thank you card and putting a few $20 bills in the card as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.