Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Monthly Selection at CH coming... grr...

Old 01-25-03, 08:08 PM

Monthly Selection at CH coming... grr...

Hey everyone,

I fulfilled my Columbia House CD club account a few months ago. I thought this would mean that I didn't get bothered by the monthly selection thing anymore. I was wrong. A few weeks ago I had two monthly selections. One was Disturbed latest CD which I declined. The Columbia House website wouldn't show me the second monthly selections or let me decline it.

Well... I've got some comp called "Silver and Gold" (or something like that) "awaiting stock" to come my way. Total price comes to a whopping $21 after the shipping and tax.

Is there anyway I can send this back and not owe anything? If not what are my options. I just quit the club so I can't check out the FAQ.

Any help is great. Thank you.

blinkin
Old 01-25-03, 08:20 PM

Is there anyway I can send this back and not owe anything?
When it arrives, write REFUSED and RETURN TO SENDER in large block letters on the package using a black marker. Then take it to the post office or leave it in your mail box. It will be returned and Columbia House will eat the shipping costs. You'll owe nothing.
Old 01-25-03, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you don't want them sent, tell them to make you a preferred member.
Old 01-27-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by bigjim25
If you don't want them sent, tell them to make you a preferred member.
Or call them and cancel your account. Just because you've fulfilled your purchase obligation doesn't mean they want you to stop buying stuff.
Old 01-31-03, 06:45 PM

CH no longer offers the Preferred Member status. Now everyone has to send in a monthly selection card or decline the monthly selection online. I guess they missed the money they were making off of people who didn't think it was worth the trouble to return unwanted monthly selections...
Old 02-01-03, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by Aguirre
CH no longer offers the Preferred Member status. Now everyone has to send in a monthly selection card or decline the monthly selection online. I guess they missed the money they were making off of people who didn't think it was worth the trouble to return unwanted monthly selections...
As far as I know CH still does offer preferred status...unless they dropped it within the last month - because that is when I got mine. Remember this thread is about the CD club not the DVD club.
Old 02-01-03, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by maineiac
As far as I know CH still does offer preferred status...unless they dropped it within the last month - because that is when I got mine. Remember this thread is about the CD club not the DVD club.
I was indeed referring to the CD club, unfortunately. I talked to a CH customer service rep during December after I had received one of the selection cards out of the blue. I asked if I could be placed back on Preferred Member status and she informed me that CH had decided to go back to the monthy selection card system. If some people get to keep to keep Preferred Status and a long-time CH customer such as myself doesn't, then I'm really irked! Maybe they're just punishing me because I fufill all of my enrollments on sale-priced box sets instead of paying 20 bucks for their single CDs...

Last edited by Aguirre; 02-01-03 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-01-03, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by Aguirre
I was indeed referring to the CD club, unfortunately. I talked to a CH customer service rep during December after I had received one of the selection cards out of the blue. I asked if I could be placed back on Preferred Member status and she informed me that CH had decided to go back to the monthy selection card system. If some people get to keep to keep Preferred Status and a long-time CH customer such as myself doesn't, then I'm really irked! Maybe they're just punishing me because I fufill all of my enrollments on sale-priced box sets instead of paying 20 bucks for their single CDs...
Interesting...So far my "preferred member" status has continued...including a mailing that I just received about two weeks ago - the deals in that mailing expire on Feb. 3...so I wonder what will happen with my next mailing if anything. And I also use the sale-priced box sets usually. The only reason I keep the account open is that I haven't yet come up with my next list of 15 CDs to purchase so that I can open a new account.
Old 02-01-03, 06:29 PM

I wonder if Columbia House is hurting for business. I work for the post office, and I used to see lots of cd introductory packages and the smaller individual mailers coming through all the time. I have only spotted a handful in the last 6 months. Even the dvd shipments are way down.
Old 02-02-03, 05:29 PM

Man I return about 6 every year, I always forget to go online and decline my selection. Does anyone really keep them, even if I would like it, it's to much money. You would think they get buried on shipping loses
Old 02-10-03, 11:41 AM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you write return to sender on it be sure not to open it otherwise the post office wont' take it.