Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy no longer issuing rainchecks?

Old 01-23-03, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Best Buy no longer issuing rainchecks?

So I went into a BB recently to upgrade my girlfriend's autosecurity system for a different model. They have the one she wants on sale but not in stock. Simple matter right....I'll just get a raincheck. My girlfriend tries while I'm checking out something else and is denied. Okay, my turn. The "customer service" person absolutely would not issue a raincheck?! WTF! She couldn't do it because it wasn't in the ad and the computer didn't let her. I told her that that was ridiculous and that they should offer the item for the price that they say. At which point she grabs the ad shoves it in my face and sarcastically asks is it in the ad? (This really ticked me off) I don't offer a response and tell her to give me a paper raincheck. I'm sorry we don't do that anymore. Everythings on the computer. Can noone do anything without a computer nowadays? I tossed the price at her and walked out. It was my understanding that a raincheck is a very simple basic thing to do. (I understand if they state in their ad that they are not available).

The days of a supercomputer taking over people is not very far off. Too many people cannot do their job without it.
Old 01-23-03, 06:46 PM

OK...I'll ask, was it in the ad?
Old 01-23-03, 07:11 PM

I'll bite also, ... ... was it, or was it not in their ad?
Old 01-23-03, 07:22 PM

Well I went into BB last week and they were out of all the sale priced dvd's(7.99) and got raincheck's without even asking. I went in yesterday to buy this week's releases and sale titles, when I got there the same customer service rep was there and he asked me if I needed any raincheck's this week. A really cool guy! So the girl that told you they don't offer raincheck's is full of crap.
Old 01-23-03, 07:59 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it is in the ad and doesn't state "no raincheck please", you should be able to get one.
Old 01-23-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If it's on sale but not in the ad, they won't give you a raincheck for it. You could have paid for it right away and then picked it up when it came back in stock. You should have asked for a manager, they would have been able to help you out.
Old 01-23-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by eau
If it is in the ad and doesn't state "no raincheck please", you should be able to get one.
Unless they state 'while supplies last'.
Old 01-24-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the store has made a decision (or it was made for them) to no longer issue paper rain-checks, I was told that the Rain-Check System in the Employee Toolkit will NOT issue rain-checks for items that are not listed in the current week's ad.

I've seen the system go through the steps and one of them is that it checks the last time the item was in an ad, if it isn't in the current week's the computer rejects the rain-check.

I've always gotten my rain-checks issued on the in-store kiosks that are located, at least in my stores, right at the end of the music section and close to the DVD section so I can see what's going on with the computer.
Old 01-24-03, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

okay...I guess I was not clear enough. It was NOT advertised in the ad...but I have never had any trouble getting a raincheck for any price whether it is advertised or not, at any store (unless of course they mention that there is no raincheck). I just can't understand why they have to put customers through so much grief just for a standard sale. Why can they not just issue a simple paper raincheck and call me when it is in stock. It seems like an easily rectifiable customer service issue. It's just one of those things that indicate that "customer service" is on a steep decline. It's not like they would lose much money for fulfilling rainchecks that are not advertised.
Old 01-24-03, 11:12 PM

So it was just a price on the shelf and they were all sold out? And you got that upset? I don't know, when the grocery store is out of Tiger Sauce I don't go demanding a raincheck and make them call me when the next truck comes in I just pick upa bottle on my next trip. Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't get the big deal here.
Old 01-28-03, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just because they broke policy for you in the past doesn't give you the right be a jerk when the worker is clearly following policy now. People get mad when they don't get their way, but I get mad when people expect to be treated like gods just because they have green in their wallet.
Old 01-28-03, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by spainlinx0
Just because they broke policy for you in the past doesn't give you the right be a jerk when the worker is clearly following policy now. People get mad when they don't get their way, but I get mad when people expect to be treated like gods just because they have green in their wallet.
Old 01-30-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by spainlinx0

Who the Hell said I was a jerk! She was the one that insulted me by saying very tonge in cheek "is it in the ad". that's what I was really ticked about. So just because they are incharge they can just insult their customers as they see fit and I just have to sit there and take it. Yeah sure Best Buy is the victim here. I don't know what god you worship but if you shower him with rainchecks and expect to get into whatever afterlife you believe in then you should check again.

Last time I checked, a raincheck wasn't anything worthy for any god I know of.

This wasn't just sauce at a grocery store it was something that was a couple hundred dollars. seriously if you want to make an analogy at least make sure it applies.

Just sacrifice me people for being upset with a store.
Old 01-30-03, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by tanman
This wasn't just sauce at a grocery store it was something that was a couple hundred dollars. seriously if you want to make an analogy at least make sure it applies.
The analogy fits the facts.

You never specified the price of the product you tried to buy, you never answered whether or not the product was actually advertised or if it was just the shelf price and finally the actual price of the product is completely irrevelant to the question of whether or not you were entitled to a rain check.

How about this analogy: Substitute a car for whatever you were trying to buy. If you went to a dealer and they had a Yugo on the lot one day for $700 but when you returned they had sold the Yugo, Oh no?!?!? what to do? Do you think you should get another Yugo for $700 just because they sold their last one for that price? I don't think you would get a raincheck there either.

Seriously, if you want to complain about my analogies then give up all the facts or just plain give up because your arguements are not pursuasive.
Old 01-31-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Creek Rat
The analogy fits the facts.

How about this analogy: Substitute a car for whatever you were trying to buy. If you went to a dealer and they had a Yugo on the lot one day for $700 but when you returned they had sold the Yugo, Oh no?!?!? what to do? Do you think you should get another Yugo for $700 just because they sold their last one for that price? I don't think you would get a raincheck there either.
\
On a related note I once tried to run the cheapest car I could through Kelly Blue book online and got an early eighties Yugo with 120,000 mi. for $12. quite funny.
Old 01-31-03, 11:25 AM
Cool New Member

As a former supervisor at best buy, I can give you some info. Best Buy only gives rainchecks on items they advertise. Why do they do this? Because they've baited you into the store for the item and they will provide you with that item at that price with a raincheck if it's not in stock to make good on your trip to visit them.
So why can't they give you a raincheck for any out of stock item? It's the nature of the business. You can't keep everything in stock all the time. If you really want something that they don't have in their store, just ask them if they can check if any other stores nearby have it. If you really want the item at that price, make the trip for it.
Also, you are a guest at that store but have no right to demand things from them. Just because they work there doesn't mean they are your slaves. Best Buy is not in the service industry, they sell goods and very few services (that with the exception of car installation and computer techs are outsourced).
If you don't like how they treat you, vote with your dollar and go somewhere else! No one makes you shop there unless you can't beat their prices. And even then you can just match at a competitor.
I used to just have the best time with customers saying no to them. I was always fair, and I know what it's like to be on both sides and the cooler heads always prevail. If you treat them with respect and are polite, you'd be amazed at what they'll do for you. Treat them like crap and you'll receive crap in kind.
Old 02-02-03, 03:45 PM

Well said.
Old 02-07-03, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rainchecks are stupid anyway. Do you know what percent of the people who actually fill out rain checks pick up their items? Around 3%.

Rainchecks are usually pointless. And Best Buy WON'T offer rainchecks, unless it's ON AD.
Old 02-07-03, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ufjason
If you treat them with respect and are polite, you'd be amazed at what they'll do for you. Treat them like crap and you'll receive crap in kind.
Exactly

Yup, you'll only get a raincheck if its on the ad, unless it says "No Rainchecks" or "In Store Only". Like taratino said, people hardly ever comeback and pick up their rainchecks, they usually go buy it somewhere else.