Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Why Tower will never have my business again...

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-23-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all started a while back when I attempted to order the Friday/Next Friday DVD misprice and was denied. I could understand why the misprice wasn't honored because it would have been a huge loss on each two pack. The problem I had was the way they went about handling the orders. Instead of admitting their mistake, they put the item on backorder, let the orders wait for 30 days, then cancelled them. Miraculously, the item became available a few days later, at a substantially higher price.

I recently placed an order for Billy Joel's Video Hits and Ministry Tapes of Wrath DVDs. The Billy Joel was normally $14.95 on sale for $11.99 and the Ministry was listed as $9.99 on sale for $7.46 However, the Ministry was listed as a "special order". They were having a 20% off sale so I figured I'd go for it. Shipping was a bit pricey but I had never seen the Ministry lower than $16 or so.

I got a confirmation e-mail stating the Ministry was on backorder, which I figured, and they would try to obtain it for 30 days before cancelling the order. On a whim, I clicked on the Ministry DVD link from my order page and found it to be in stock, but the price now was raised to $11.99. I called a rep to find out when the order was shipping, and he told me they would be shipping the Billy Joel, but the Ministry would ship separately. I told him the Ministry was now in stock, and he said, "oh, ok...so that should be shipping soon then". I decided to trust him at this point, but I think I should have asked to speak to a supervisor.

Just today, I received another e-mail stating the whole order was now on backorder, and the link to the Ministry DVD from my order is dead. However, the disc is still in stock on the site through a different item number. Contained in my e-mail was also a direct link to their policy regarding misprices.

After the Friday/Next Friday situation, I was going to write them off, but I didn't want to condemn them for a situation that was obviously a mistake. This Ministry DVD situation is a matter of $4, not $20. I am planning to contact customer service in the morning to see if they are going to honor my order or request my acceptance of the higher price.

Needless to say, if they don't honor my order at the original price, it will be the last business I ever do with them...
Old 01-23-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read somewhere that Tower is having serious financial issues. All I know is that since Best Buy came to town, the local Tower has nary a customer in it. How long can they survive charging full retail on discs, their only bread and butter, when you can get WAY better prices at BB or CC? I did buy a lot of laserdiscs from them back in day though...
Old 01-23-03, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tower definitely used to be a lot more competitive and I used to go there first for new cd releases. I haven't set foot in a store in years. I remember waiting in line at midnight to buy GNR Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 back in 1991. That was probably my last purchase at the b & m.

I just spoke with a customer service rep who told me at first the Ministry would be going out shortly under separate cover. He said the Joel would ship first and the Ministry in a few days. I asked him if he anticipated a problem because of the listing discrepancy for the Ministry disc and he didn't think so. I encouraged him to speak to a supervisor, and when he came back, he told me he couldn't guarantee the item would ship at that price. I appreciated his honesty, because I would have ended up paying $16 for the Joel alone with shipping. DDD has it for $11 and change. So, needless to say, the main reason I had ordered was for the Ministry. My recommendations for people shopping at Tower would be:

1) Avoid anything on "special order"
2) Keep in mind the $4 shipping charges
3) Check dvdpricesearch before ordering anything
4) Misprices will probably not be honored
Old 01-24-03, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tower will probably not make it another year. they are bleeding money and they sold their only profitable division which was in Japan.

I used to buy laser Discs at Tower now i never even bother to shop there. The prices suck
Old 01-24-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no idea why people still shop there (the B&M stores). I've never shopped at their web site.

Their CDs and DVDs are priced at MSRP.

I only buy there if I can't find it anywhere else.
Old 01-24-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 905 Likes on 632 Posts
Originally posted by Mazinger
I have no idea why people still shop there (the B&M stores). I've never shopped at their web site.

Their CDs and DVDs are priced at MSRP.

I only buy there if I can't find it anywhere else.
I think that is the problem with these full price retailers. Usually the people that shop there are either too lazy to shop for a better price or can't find it elsewhere. both of these types of people are starting to shop on the internet now where the selection is limitless, it doesn't take much effort, AND you can usually get it for a decent price delivered to your door.
Old 01-26-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 286 Likes on 212 Posts
Tower Records left a bad taste in my mouth many years ago. I stopped buying my usual $75 weekend CD singles because the workforce was just pathetic and the selection was even more pathetic. This was back in December 2000. I haven't stepped foot in one since then. I'm not sure what happened, but they used to be cool. No more. All I see are N'Sync wannabe's and Gothic freaks on the weekends.
Old 01-27-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
I likewise only shop at Tower when it's something I truly can't find anywhere else, and this does happen from time to time. They've got a good niche with hard-to-find titles, but if they want to stay open they can't keep charging MSRP for nearly everything.