Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon- $50 apparel get $30-- won't give it to me.

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-09-03, 08:54 AM

I placed on order on Nov 15 in the apparel section hoping to take advantage the the buy $50 get $30 GC.

--------In my cart Gap shirts totaling $17.95
--------Target items totaling $37.98

-------Order total before tax and shipping 55.93

Never got the GC.

Sent e-mail 01/06 asking where is my gc form 11/19

Response 01/07 says your orders were placed on two different days.. 11/19 & 12/03 so you don't qualify. (I did place an order for 12/03 from footlocker that was returned, but has nothing to do with my 11/19 order.

Sent e-mail #2 saying I did order $50 in apparel from Gap and Target on 11/19, you split it into 2 orders not I, therefore I should still qualify.

Response 01/08 says Target order doesn't count because the shirt was not in apparel and Footlocker order doesn't count because it shows an item was returned . Only Gap counts and I was just $17...

Sent e-mail #3 saying you are mistaken the Targets item were in apparel. You can still click on them in my order history and they still go right to the apparel tag.
---------------------------------------

Now waiting for another reply. It is just me or do you think they are handling this poorly? I am getting very frustrated and feel like they are trying every which way they can to cheat me. How many times do they have to look at my account before they get it?

Every item was in apparel. I probably checked that order over 5 or 6 times before I placed it to make sure I qualified, and, like I said, you can still click on the items in my order history and they all go to apparel!

It's making me mad. Do you think I'm overreacting?
Old 01-09-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't participate in this deal so I don't know what restrictions or limitations Amazon put on it. But if you think they are not treating you fairly maybe calling would be better than sending emails.
Old 01-09-03, 01:56 PM

Got a reply from 3rd e-mail says we are right you didn't order $50

I got very angry. So, I did call the number above. I was then told over the phone AGAIN that no I didn't order $50. I got even more angry insisted to her that I did that I can click on every item I ordered on Nov. 19, that it all comes up under apparel and that it all adds up to over $50. She looks again. LO AND BEHOLD she finds out that I've ordered over $50 in apparel all along. It was split into two orders one that starts with #058- (their apparel code) and one that starts with #002- which I guess isn't their apparel code even though both items in the order are in the apparel section. I guess this threw them off even though I gave them both order #s in the e-mail. Therefore they repeatly told me I was wrong until I FORCED them to look. I am so angry about this and I feel as though they've been treating me as an idiot or liar when it was their fault all along!!!!!!!!!!

I'm very seriously considering cancelling my new Amazon Visa and not buying from them for a long long long long while.

I was so mad I was in tears talking to this lady!!

She said I was going to get my gc shortly...... I hope so, I don't know if I can go through this fight again!

Last edited by ms.crab; 01-09-03 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-09-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds like they should have given you an extra $10 GC for the trouble. At least they finally saw they were wrong and look like you will be getting your GC. That's why I think it is better to call them when you have a more complicated problem. I have had a few battles with customer service involving overcharges on orders and can certainly relate to what you went through.
Old 01-09-03, 05:20 PM

Many reps today are trained to just go by what the computer says. So in many cases they just tell you no, until you make them look with their own eyes. I mean, they can't do that with the thousands of emails they get, but you just have to learn how to complain and call on the phone when you want to get the matter fixed.
Old 01-10-03, 12:12 PM

Well, they've made me mad again. The lady I talked to over the phone sent me an e-mail stating that she contacted the marketing group and "as a one time exception" are going to send the gc to me.

One time exception?????!!!!!! I followed the rules! They're the ones that screwed up! I want an apology and yet I get treated like they are doing me a favor. I called the number again above. I asked to speak to whomever was in charge. This lady told me that she was trained to take care of anything I needed and wouldn't let me talk to anyone else. I told her that I wanted to report some poor customer service. She told me to e-mail [email protected]. I'd rather speak to someone. Does anyone have any advice on how I should handle this?
Old 01-10-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Personally I wouldn't take what they say too seriously as long as they are giving you the GC. I guess you can try leaving feedback but doubt that will accomplish anything. Maybe if you are lucky Amazon might send a extra GC and a apology. It is not worth it to get angry over the email message when you are in the end getting what you wanted.
Old 01-10-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ms.crab
Well, they've made me mad again. The lady I talked to over the phone sent me an e-mail stating that she contacted the marketing group and "as a one time exception" are going to send the gc to me.

One time exception?????!!!!!! I followed the rules! They're the ones that screwed up! I want an apology and yet I get treated like they are doing me a favor. I called the number again above. I asked to speak to whomever was in charge. This lady told me that she was trained to take care of anything I needed and wouldn't let me talk to anyone else. I told her that I wanted to report some poor customer service. She told me to e-mail [email protected]. I'd rather speak to someone. Does anyone have any advice on how I should handle this?
I've gotten very quick responses by including the entire history of the conversation in an email from my personal account, (where you click help, and then choose to email Amazon and you put in an order number as well).

Make sure at the beginning you explain your situation, and include that you want the case "escalated to an Amazon.com Customer Service Manager." When I did that, I received a reply to my concern within 15-20 minutes of me sending the message to them rather than days.

Hopefully it will work for you as well.
Old 01-10-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow...That's a bad expirence. It's strange how since AMZN raised prices and reduced the quality of their customer services the stock started doing better

Anyway, I was lucky on this one as I received my $30.00 just a few days ago.
Old 01-11-03, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My understanding was you would receive the certificate if the money was spent in one store....I am still waiting for my $30 GC but my order was just placed in December. Guess I will wait a little bit longer.

Just looked on Amazon and all it says is Apparel department...not any specific store. If I do not receive my certificate here shortly, I will be contacting them.

Last edited by djones6746; 01-11-03 at 09:15 AM.