Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVDSoon Double Credit Card Verification

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have purchased from DVDSoon several times in the past but they have added a new process into their Online Ordering that is outrageous. It is the policy of DVDSoon to Charge your Credit Card immediately and NOT store your Credit Card information. That is okay with me. However, they have added a new process to where they Charge your Credit Card, give you an Order Confirmation and then later they send you an E-Mail requesting that you go back to their website and enter your Credit Card Information including the CIN or CVC2 Number, the Credit Card Company Name and Phone Number as well as your "billing address".

DVDSoon now has a so-called "fraud department" that takes this information and contacts your Credit Card Company to verify that all information is correct before sending out your order. Keep in mind that they have ALREADY charged your Credit Card. This is NOT a way to build trust with Customers. Once an online transaction is complete you should NOT have to go back and re-enter your Credit Card information.

I use "one-time-use" Credit Card Numbers through MBNA ShopSafe and that is good enough "fraud protection" for me. I don't need some other company trying to provide fraud insurance to me. That is up to me and my Credit Card Company. Unless they change this new policy I will NOT shop with them again. Since I use "one-time-use" Credit Cards this means I will have to go through this stupid Credit Card Verification process for every order. No Thanks DVDSoon.

Any thoughts on this ridiculous new process? How do you feel about this?
Old 01-07-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They made me do this when I placed my first order with them and started a new account late last year. I thought it was a slight hassle and never had another company make that request of me. However, since then DVDSoon hasn't asked for the additional information on orders.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 01-07-03 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-09-03, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sounds like they have had an issue with chargebacks and are trying to prevent losing the ability to process credit cards by doing this.

By increasing the security they reduce the chance of chargebacks since you had to enter the info twice.

I would be shocked if they are actually charging your account the first time. More than likely they are placing a hold on the funds pending your responding to the second confirmation. when you do confirm the hold becomes a charge.

If you do not confirm the hold is allowed to expire and the charge does not go thru.

personally it sounds like a pain so I bet they are being forced to do this.
Old 01-09-03, 05:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
How long has DVDSoon been around? Since the first time I heard about them, they seemed to have this crazy credit card set up. I've ordered from places in Canada, England, Germany, and Norway, and this is the only place that ever wanted me to fax copies of my credit card bill and some other non-sense to buy a few dvds.
Old 01-11-03, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They probably have an online merchant account that does the charging for them, you get charged IMMEDIATELY and all DVDSoon gets is the order and approval. This is probably why they ask you to come back and do it again since they have no access to the previous CC & billing info you entered. DVDEmpire actually were asking me to fax in my CC info, I just cancelled the order and never ordered there again.

Regardless I will not shop with ANY merchant that makes you pay right away for something they may not even have in stock.