DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Best Buy has raised many DVD Prices! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/261681-best-buy-has-raised-many-dvd-prices.html)

littlefuzzy 01-05-03 02:57 PM

Best Buy has raised many DVD Prices!

I have noticed that Worst Buy has significantly increased their prices on many DVDs for the Holidays, and there is no sign that they will lower them, either.

The Disney 2-disc ultimate editions used to be $29.99, and now are $37.99.

The Disney Tins (which were available from the Disney Store for 22.99) used to be priced at $29.99, and they have even gone up more, as well.

Anime (such as Excel Saga) was $17.99, and is now $22.99.

I have seen many other discs that have had large increases such as these at Worst Buy, and most of them are much cheaper online.

Troy Stiffler 01-05-03 03:41 PM

The Best Buy near me is still the same.

ernestrp 01-05-03 05:19 PM

I think its for people shopping with gift cards and like they will not care what the price is but they want to use their gc up. I went last Sunday and had 90.00 in gc and didnt buy a thing. They had a couple of box sets I thought I might buy until I saw the price and I just left.

Cheddarmuff 01-05-03 07:23 PM

Originally posted by troystiffler
The Best Buy near me is still the same.
troystiffler & ernestrp....I haven't seen your names around in a while...it's always nice to bump into those names I remember from when I signed up on the talk..

Deftones 01-05-03 07:26 PM

troystiffler is too busy giving me student prices w/o my student ID at the local movie theater. :)

Aaron Amos 01-05-03 09:01 PM

Does this mean that they will rasie DVD prices at Suncoast and Sam Goody too? They own these stores as well.

Josh-da-man 01-05-03 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Aaron Amos
Does this mean that they will rasie DVD prices at Suncoast and Sam Goody too? They own these stores as well.
Those two stores charge MSRP for everything that isn't on sale. Best Buy has lately been charging OVER MSRP for certain things, so anything is possible.

evenflow 01-05-03 09:44 PM

I just saw the NIN dvd for $33.99 at two Best Buys! I believe the MSRP for it is $32.99.

calhoun07 01-05-03 10:25 PM

And the last time I was in a Best Buy (just a couple days ago) I was amazed how LOW the prices were on several DVDs, especially certain cataloge titles.

Aphex Twin 01-05-03 10:57 PM

I've noticed that almost all DVDs that usually go for $19.95 go for $22.95 now. Some box sets are way outrageously priced. For instance, the Ultimate Toy Box goes for like $65!

dvde 01-05-03 11:20 PM

I think you'll see allot more of this at more stores. Think about it, now that more than 40 million dvd players have been sold, their are more non dvd suave people buying dvd's. If I were BB or another dvd retailer, I would do the same to capitalize on these people. If the people will pay these prices, while not screw them for every dime you can. For me, I think the people who buy dvd's at these major retailers are either: not very bright or they don't care about money. The exceptions are the first week the dvd's are out (usually anyway) and an occasional sale title.

DVDJay 01-06-03 08:41 AM

I heard a rumor about this back in either October or November that they were raising their prices, so I kind of kept a close eye on it every time I went in there. I haven't seen any significant price raising. If anything, they've lowered the price of a lot of DVDs.

gto5830 01-06-03 10:26 AM

I've noticed both on-line and in the store that BB has also raised some of the prices on the $14.99's to $17.99. Guess so that instead of marking them down to $11.99(-3.00) when on sale, they can now put them on sale for $14.99, make their profit on the orig. price and still gain when they have a % off sale also.

scarredgod 01-07-03 08:37 PM

at my best buy, prices have gone up about $3 per title, i noticed this when i priced the evil dead trap dvd at 14.99 and went back the next day to buy it and it was 17.99. so i definately saw the price rise up close and personal, overnight.

J-Dubya 01-08-03 12:05 AM

everythings gone up at bestbuy here

gcribbs 01-08-03 12:42 AM

yes prices have gone up here also.

The funny thing is that I returned two dvd's that I was not able to find the receipt for and got the new price for my XMAs return. I ended up finding my receipt and saw that I got an additional $10 on those two dvd's alone.

sadly I just buy sale dvd's now and pass on all regular priced dvd's since they raised their prices.

uteotw 01-08-03 02:24 PM

Most all of 'em went up here (Reno) before Christmas, and I think there was a thread about it then too. The newly-jacked-up prices make it even less likely I'll go to BB now, when with just a few clicks I can have what I want delivered to my home, often for less $$$.