Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Returning products because you don't like them... not defective?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-02-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think almost everything I have every returned to a store was because there was a defect with the item OR it wasn't opened. I bought a cappucinno maker from Target (pump kind) and after a week I think it really is not that good. Is it wrong to return an item that you just don't like? I mean, I know that I wouldn't do that with a CD unless they had a policy allowing it. But a small appliance?
Old 01-02-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see nothing wrong with it.
Old 01-02-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Go for it theres nothing wrong with it IMO.
Old 01-02-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it depends on their policy. Wal Mart, for example, will take about just anything, opened even. But I've run into stores that will exchange only for the same thing if it's been opened. Can't say I blame them for expecting people to know what they want before they buy it.
Old 01-02-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I share your general approach, alantamoi, but in this case I don't think there's much of a problem - you chose a product that you thought would meet your needs, but in fact it doesn't. I would try to return it, but I would be honest about why - just say that you used it and it doesn't work as well as you thought it would. I've done that (honestly) on occasion. But that's only if I've hardly used it at all, maybe once or twice to try it out.

On the other hand, I definitely don't agree with people who think it's OK to return computer/video games because they didn't like them.. usually after having played through the whole thing! In that case, you're paying for the experience of playing it/experiencing it, and if you didn't enjoy it, well, that's the luck of the draw. (I wouldn't return a book that I disliked, though I did once return one because a large chunk of pages in the middle were blank!) In the same way, I wouldn't expect to get my money back after watching or renting a really lousy movie.

So with your cappuchino maker, I would make sure it was really clean and had all its original packaging, and see if they'll take it back. In the case of an espresso machine, I really think it's fine - there's a huge amount of variation in what the machines will do, and they all *claim* to make fantastic drinks. You got it in good faith thinking it would work a certain way, and it doesn't.

[Tangent] I did a lot of research before I bought an espresso machine, and ended up getting a Krups Novo Compact as one of the best value home espresso machines. Basically, it has to have a steam pump if it's going to make *anything* remotely resembling decent espresso; the ones that are sort of "self-pressured" or however they describe it apparently aren't worth a darn, and just make (at best) strong coffee. I've been very pleased with the Krups one myself. [/Tangent]
Old 01-02-03, 07:21 PM

If you have the receipt, Target will accept it back w/o a hassle. That's been my experience, anyway. I would return it without question.
Old 01-02-03, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

calhoun07, well, I did A LOT of research on this particular espresso maker before buying it and that's a big reason why I'm disappointed. I weighed the options for 2 months while reading plenty of reviews/opinions online.

ordway... agree with ya. I've used cheap steam toys for the last 6 years but was always happy with them, though. The pump makers cost so much more that I never considered buying one until I saw that Target/Wal-Mart started selling a fairly new Mr. Coffee brand of makers that are pump machines for around $50. I really hesitated buying one because I feel certain the Italian made ones would be a lot better... and MUCH more expensive. But I mainly make cappuccinos/lattes so it's not as important to have a perfect espresso with all that milk added. After a week of toying around with this pump machine I'm just very unimpressed. The steam maker I was using (for half the cost) did a better job and wasn't as big of a pain to use.
Of course, there is a chance I'm not making them right, but after all the ways I've tried I think the maker just isn't up to par.
I'm still not sure I feel right taking this thing back after a week's use, but I might. I noticed that most espresso machines sold on Ebay are from returns and factory reconditioned units.
Old 01-02-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by atlantamoi
calhoun07, well, I did A LOT of research on this particular espresso maker before buying it and that's a big reason why I'm disappointed. I weighed the options for 2 months while reading plenty of reviews/opinions online.
Didn't mean to imply you didn't do your research. I just know stores that aren't friendly about open item returns. Not sure what Target's policy is. I think I took something back to them once before and all I got was an instore credit.