Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

I will never shop at Barnes and Noble.com again!

Old 12-31-02, 04:15 PM

I will never shop at Barnes and Noble.com again!

I ordered 4 books from bn.com. You are suppose to have free shipping if you order more than 2 books and chose to have the shipped together which I did. Apparently the company thought I wanted them shipped seperate even though I picked together, so now I have 2 packages in route and one still left. Now I am getting charged shipping and handling for 3 differant packages when I chose to have them shipped as one. I wrote them 2 letters never got a response! In the future my advice to anyone that orders from bn.com to start shopping at Amazon for better selections and fairness. Amazon also responds to you. I will never order from here again.
Old 12-31-02, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are you 100% sure you had all the toggles and whatnot set just right? If i recall, there were a few ... but $0 shipping should have been reflected on your email receipt if you did it all right.

I have never had any problems, they ship faster, and usually have been cheaper for me than Amazon, even with a $15 coupon.

Sorry you had rough luck, but maybe they're worth another chance.
Old 12-31-02, 05:08 PM

HI Yes I am sure I had everything right. I think they asked me twice about the shipping if I am not mistaken. My question is why after I have written them 2 letters with concerns that I have about my order have I got no response from them? I used a giftcard for my order. It was for 40.00 and I spent 35.00 I hope that the charges do not reach beyond that or they will cancel the last book that is in waiting because I am getting charged the shipping.
Old 12-31-02, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Geez, not to sound mean or anything, but if that's enough to cause you to stop shopping from them entirely, you're going to run out of places to shop real quick. I totally understand your frustration, but I'd call their customer service number before you vow to never do business with them. And, in reality, this is a pretty trivial matter. I am not saying you shouldn't be mad, but it's not that bad!
Old 01-01-03, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You also have to remember that this week and last week both had holidays in them. Probably their email load is very heavy because of that. They probably have more people at their offices taking vacations as well. Give it at least 3 or 4 days.

If you require an immediate response, I would always CALL the company and if you get no satisfaction from that, then email because you'll have a representative's name and perhaps if the company provides them, "Representative Badge Numbers" that can help the company track down the person that helped you over the phone.
Old 01-01-03, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sydneycam...at least your packages arrived. I ordered a DVD from BN.com at the end of November and it never arrived.

I called the 1-800 number four different times to find out what happened to the DVD i ordered. The last two reps gave me the run around when i asked if i could get some kind of replacement before x-mas...no luck. So last friday i went to the store where i ordered it from and got a refund.

3+ weeks to ship a DVD when i asked for 3-8 day ground shipping, plus phone reps who gave me the run around...Saying they will contact the warehouse and have someone contact me when in fact they didnt ...thats an excuse to not shop there again.
Old 01-01-03, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does Barnes and Noble use the post office? If so, it sounds to me like the post office pooched the last one there. I ordred some DVDs from deepdiscount on Dec 3rd, selected free shipping. Now, when I've done that in the past, I've always gotten my packages closer to the 5th day, but usually they would arrive before that. Well, wouldn't you know that they took the FULL TEN DAYS to get that damn package to me. Yes, I got it before Christmas, but I had to mail those DVDs out with other presents to relative living out of state, so I didn't get them in time for sending out my package. I had to go to Best Buy and now I will just take those DVDs back to Best Buy for a refund.

But in that instance, it was totally the post office's fault. I also ordered CDs from deepdiscountcd.com and they arrived TWO DAYS after being mailed (on the same day the DVDs got mailed), and I used the same shipping method. I know it says 5-10 days, but I never had the post office use a full ten days on any thing I ordered from them in the past.

The moral of the story? The post office blows dog, and they are a necessary evil in this universe, tho I have learned the joys of using UPS for mailing packages.

Another thing about barnes and noble...did the books ship separatly from different warehouses? Sometimes amazon.com has to do that for me. They don't charge me extra for shipping in those instances, however.
Old 01-01-03, 09:49 PM

A vendor I like even better than BN.com is: Books-A-Million.com (or BAMM.com).

Their prices are even better than B&N--up to 46% on best sellers and usually 33% on the rest. However, you need to join their "Milliionaire's Club" discount program which costs $5 for a year.

One of the best reasons to buy from Books-A-Million is that they ship via UPS Ground and most orders reach me in about 2 days after they are shipped!

Visit their site and check them out. I've never had a problem and have been very pleased with their service!
Old 01-02-03, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
Does Barnes and Noble use the post office?
It isnt so much about the fact the shipping took 10 million (and counting) years to arrive, its the fact i got the run around when i called and inquired about my purchase.

I do not like being lied to or blown off like these phone reps did.

I had to call numerous times to get someone there to get off thier ass and call the warehouse to get something done.

I shouldnt have to make those guys do thier job. I'm a customer, not thier manager.
Old 01-02-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In my experience, www.bn.com often ships separately to get you your items quicker (even if you choose "ship together"), but they have NEVER charged me for shipping. You may want to confirm your receipts before you boycott them.
Old 01-02-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: I will never shop at Barnes and Noble.com again!

Originally posted by Sydneycam
I ordered 4 books from bn.com. You are suppose to have free shipping if you order more than 2 books and chose to have the shipped together which I did. Apparently the company thought I wanted them shipped seperate even though I picked together, so now I have 2 packages in route and one still left. Now I am getting charged shipping and handling for 3 differant packages when I chose to have them shipped as one. I wrote them 2 letters never got a response! In the future my advice to anyone that orders from bn.com to start shopping at Amazon for better selections and fairness. Amazon also responds to you. I will never order from here again.
As a last resort, you can go to your CC company if you could not resolve the issue with BN. However, you still have to provide all the documentations in addition to the CC dispute paperwork. So I'm not sure if you'd be willing to go that far for erroneous shipping charges.

PAL
Old 01-02-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Every day a new "I'll never shop at ______ thread!" pops up. Not to sound offensive, but it's a bit much already. Just tell us about the experience...calmly...

Personally, I vowed never ever EVER to shop at bn.com again, due to their deceitful tactics with how they treated their Flooz customers. However, when I got a $50 BN gift card and found I could use it online (plus with that great sale they had last month), I took the plunge. I ordered 3 Criterions, and they all shipped separately and with free shipping. Now, I'm glad I gave them another chance.

Lord knows there are some companies online which we all warn members to stay away from (CD Universe was always my favorite, DVD.com more recently...). However, usually if you call a company like bn.com they can help you right away. Emailing takes a while for some sites.
Old 01-03-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Loved the BN Flooz fiasco..what a joke. Never shoopped there aftewords...too