DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Your fav place to buy - Online / B&M (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/260564-your-fav-place-buy-online-b-m.html)

darkflounder 12-31-02 02:59 AM

Your fav place to buy - Online / B&M

I've been buying my DVDs from predominately Best Buy and Wal Mart. Wal-Mart's selection leave quite a bit to be desired, and Best Buy isn't open the right hours (I'm a night person, don't usually leave the house before 9pm).

I'm looking to start buying online, but I've heard enough horror stories in the forum about shattered discs, flattened box sets, and horrible service.

Any recommendations?

TomOpus 12-31-02 03:05 AM

My roommate and I have used DeepDiscountDVD a lot w/out any problems.

DataZak 12-31-02 03:32 AM

The established online stores (Amazon, DVD Empire etc etc) are okay and safe to order from. The horror stories you heard are actually few and far between and are usually from the less than reputable online stores.

Most of my dvds were bought online & I've never received any defective discs before, thank goodness.

The only bad thing about shopping online is that you tend to go crazy buying all the dvds....and then receiving your credit card bill. *Aarrrgghhhhh*

Smidget 12-31-02 06:41 AM

DeepDiscountDVD, Secondspin, and Best Buy........

pdjennings 12-31-02 06:45 AM

BestBuy & Costco.... best prices... PERIOD.

I only order online if it's a backlist title that I just cannot find in a store.

DumDum 12-31-02 07:04 AM

Online, it's usually Amazon, DVD Empire, and DVD Planet.

B&M: I usually price match at Wal Mart on major new releases. The closest Best Buy to me is around 30 miles away.

myrdh 12-31-02 07:35 AM

dvdtalk exchange forum

PixyJunket 12-31-02 07:46 AM

Don't really buy online anymore.. usually Best Buy but I have a few places I look around.

Kromax 12-31-02 07:51 AM

DeepDiscountDVD.

Columbia House.

renaldow 12-31-02 07:58 AM

Online: Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Bestbuy.com, also anywhere that has it the cheapest.

B&M: I usually don't buy any at B&M's. If I do it's at Best Buy or Fred Meyer during the week of release. Fred Meyer has some excellent and often unadvertised prices on big releases. For example, FM had LOTR extended edition on sale for $19.99 on release day with an in store coupon for an additional $5 off.

Mammal 12-31-02 08:21 AM

DVDEmpire is extremely reliable.

wendersfan 12-31-02 10:05 AM

Online: DeepDiscountDVD
B & M: My wife's uncle's stand at the flea market (seriously).

I buy almost everything online. Most films I want to own are because they are hard to find as rentals - I can rent FOTR anywhere, but what if I really want to see Pierrot le Fou?

However, I buy a few disks from Charlie at the flea market because he sells everything for 12 bucks. Picked up Mulholland Dr. and The French Connection from him.

matome 12-31-02 10:22 AM

1) DVD Planet
2) Best Buy
3) Circuit City

indycohiba 12-31-02 10:33 AM

Deepdiscountdvd.com - free shipping and low prices
Dvdplanet - great Criterion prices and large selection
CH - less than $10 per dvd but do not have a complete selection of movies - mainly mainstream
Best Buy/Circuit City/Target - just depends on who has the best sale for the week

Deb 12-31-02 10:39 AM

I buy 99% from Amazon.com. I've been burnt a couple of times from other online companies.

For the other 1%, I get from either Walmart or Target from their discount shelves which I check each time I go in.

Never had a problem from Walmart or Target. I have had problems of broken disks, missing stuff, etc from Amazon, but they are the absolute best as far as their return policy, which is why I use them.

indycohiba 12-31-02 11:14 AM

The only problem with Deepdiscountdvd is their site is not always up. Just went there now and it is down.

Rammsteinfan 12-31-02 11:31 AM

Repeat business goes to...
Online: DeepdiscountDVD, DVD Empire, Amazon
Stores: Best Buy, Target & Circuit City

ProjectMayhem 12-31-02 11:37 AM

Online: FYE
B&M: Whatever is the cheapest.

JLJanis 12-31-02 12:03 PM

Online: DVD Planet: great Criterion discounts;

B&M: Borders: best brick and mortar selection for foreign, etc., near me -- coupons always help as they are not the cheapest. I usually need to see something pretty badly to buy at any B&M...

uteotw 12-31-02 12:14 PM

For me it's almost always:
Online: DDD (free shipping, low prices, easy to reach via 1-800, never had a problem)
B&M: BB (less and less, actually, since they jacked up the prices and there's only about 1 foot of standing room and God forbid a larger person wants to look in the same aisle...)

Teknomaagi 12-31-02 12:20 PM

Online:
Play (for their fast deliveries, usually that is..)
dvdboxoffice (darn slow at times)
cdwow (Criterions)
Ezydvd (Australia, R4, their prices are unbeatable at times)

Static Cling 12-31-02 01:25 PM

We have a whole entire forum for this. :) Moving to Store Forum.

Heat 12-31-02 01:42 PM

DVDs, online: www.deepdiscountdvd.com or www.digitaleyes.com
DVDs, B&M: (whoever has the best sale that week, and I almost never buy DVDs from B&Ms unless it is the first week and there is a good sale).

CDs, online, used: www.secondspin.com
CDs, online, new: www.towerrecords.com
CDs, B&M: It has been many years since I've bought a CD from a B&M.

grenier 12-31-02 04:49 PM

If it's a new release I usually just go to Best Buy and pick up the title.

Online I've been buying a lot from deepdiscountdvd.com, the free shipping gets it here within three days.

Lurker1999 01-01-03 03:31 PM

Columbia House for anything that will be released there. I can wait that long for a disc.

Totalactionuniverse for box sets. Sometimes amazon.ca if they've got a coupon and/or sale. Deepdiscountdvd sometimes does better than TAU on box sets, but rarely.

Bestprices and rightstuf for anime. Bestprices for the non-collectible stuff, rightstuf for any of the "special" deals.