Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Beware DVDSoon sometimes ships Canadian versions

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-21-02, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off I'm not talking about DVD's with just French writing on them. I'm talking about DVD's they advertise and show as the American release and ship a totally different version with completely different cover art.

The title I'm talking about is Happy Accidents. I ordered from them and they have the MGM version pictured on the website. I got it yesterday and I got this POS from Seville studios. Now I wouldn't mind if it was the same disc as the MGM version just with different cover art but it's not. This disc has the WORST transfer I've ever seen. It looks 100 times worse than Scarface. In fact it reminds me of a VERY BAD VCD. I think Seville studios got a VHS copy then compressed it at a .01 bitrate and put it on DVD.
Old 12-23-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, DVDSoon is more upfront about different language covers than most Canadian retailers.

They will list a title, for example, True Romance : Special Edition(v.f). When the "v.f." is clicked, it takes you here .

They are, after all, a Canadian retailer.
Old 12-23-02, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 202 Posts
...but not always. The copy of "Devil's Backbone" I recieved was from TVM, I believe (I'm not directly looking at it), and the US version that was advertised at the time. However, the features are the same, so I decided to just grin and bear it. This was also true for "The Grifters", which was not the US version, even though the US cover art was shown (or taken from the US solicitation, which is more likely the case).
Old 12-23-02, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's odd! I thought they're a Canadian retailer. What I don't get is why people trust and do business with a company outside the US. I know they save a couple of dollars here and there, but I don't see how it's worth taking a chance. Just my two cents and all.
Old 12-23-02, 09:13 PM
Cool New Member

Because US companies cost more.
Would you pay $16-18 for a music cd when the same cd can be bought for $10 from Canada?
How about paying more for dvd boxsets?
Nothing wrong with doing business with Canadians, we're nice folk
Old 12-24-02, 09:19 AM

Like I said before..I've never had a problem with DVDSoon before. They always have low prices and seem to ship fast. At least for me.

However, I was just a little mad that they advertised (and still are) the MGM version yet ship a very low quality version by another studio.
Old 12-24-02, 10:22 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally posted by dvde
That's odd! I thought they're a Canadian retailer. What I don't get is why people trust and do business with a company outside the US. I know they save a couple of dollars here and there, but I don't see how it's worth taking a chance. Just my two cents and all.
Price is one reason. Obviously most of us deal hunters are looking at the bottomline. If it's close, I'll buy locally but just as internet stores often beat out B&M, so to do stores from elsewhere beat out USA internet stores.

Another reason is availability. Some releases are not released in the USA but are released in Canada. Look at how popular some of the multi-region players and threads about imports are here. This also holds true for special editions with better extra's.

Reliability is also a factor. Some stores, not DVDSoon for me, have proven themselves to be very reliable even though they're from Canada while some stores in the USA are not. I've had just as much luck with stores from Canada (and Hong Kong) as from here, if not better. Ask me some time about my experiences with Reel.com, Bestprices.com, and others...
Old 12-25-02, 12:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Houstondon
Ask me some time about my experiences with Reel.com, Bestprices.com, and others...
Good point!