Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Credit Card Hacker in DVD Land?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-09-02, 07:58 PM
DrS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CNN reports that a hacker stole 80,000 credit card numbers from the kind of place that sounds like we (as a group) might patronize:

"Sternberg allegedly broke into the computers of a large U.S. company that sells CD-ROMs and DVDs, but police refused to release the name of the company. The court document also did not mention the company's name. "

I'm scared. Any idea on which company?

d
Old 12-09-02, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey, relax your exposure is limited to $50
Old 12-10-02, 07:44 AM
DrS

I fear ID theft more than the $50.00 ...

Plus the hassle....

d
Old 12-11-02, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Talk about theft ID Im starting to worry about my wife .... she has been getting rejections for applying for credit and has not applied . She went to transunion.com to order a free report since they sent her the rejection letter . They could not proccess it online and said they would mail her a copy "due to security reasons" . Today a letter shows up that says she has never lived at the address we have been at for 7 years and that they cannot release the report to her ..................
She called and they said to follow the instruction on the letter and wait . Funny isnt it ? Someone could have F'd my wifes credit all up and they tell you to mail stuff back and forth for however long they want to F around with it ...........
Old 12-11-02, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Lemondrop
Talk about theft ID Im starting to worry about my wife .... she has been getting rejections for applying for credit and has not applied . She went to transunion.com to order a free report since they sent her the rejection letter . They could not proccess it online and said they would mail her a copy "due to security reasons" . Today a letter shows up that says she has never lived at the address we have been at for 7 years and that they cannot release the report to her ..................
She called and they said to follow the instruction on the letter and wait . Funny isnt it ? Someone could have F'd my wifes credit all up and they tell you to mail stuff back and forth for however long they want to F around with it ...........

I find credit reporting agencies to be least helpful to the victims...they have all these "policies & procedures" in place to protect the individual, yet the individual is the one who usually gets screwed...