Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

What happened to the spirit of Ken Crane's

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-09-02, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have spent days of my life online purchasing from Ken Crane's and then DVDPlanet.com when it changed its name. However! As a long time patron, I've now decided to shop elsewhere and I am advising others of the same. The customer service, timely delivery and pricing that were the very heart of their business has been lost. Their pages seem to go up with no proofreading and lately broken and what looks to be incomplete. Seems like someone gave them a heart transplant!!!

I called last week to get help with an order and asked for two of the high level people that have assisted me in the past (Ken Crane being one of them) and I was told, "He doesn't come into the office anymore and she left the company recently." Seems to me if the top executives are leaving, I should too!

Maybe they're being set up to lose money so that their parent company can take the loss, but in my mind, paying the extra money to shop at a now below par business, isn't my game.
Old 12-09-02, 11:36 AM

Where's your holiday spirit, Ken Crane?

I thought this thread would be about the lack of Christmas spirit at DVDPlanet this year. I postponed all my criterion catalog purchases this year waiting for another "Twelve-Days of Christmas" sale, and it never came.
Old 12-09-02, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I quit purchasing DVDs from Ken Cranes after finding the bargains forum at DVDtalk back in 1999. I found out that I could purchase DVDs elsewhere much cheaper. Also when laserdiscs were discontinued was another reason.
Old 12-09-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, my virtual trips to DVDPlanet.com have been fewer and fewer now that LDs are discontinued. For a while, they still had great DVD sales and a section of clearance LDs (that got smaller and smaller... and cheaper and cheaper).

The last big flurry of purchases I made there were during the "12 Days of Christmas" promotion, when there were a bunch of coupon prizes that could be combined with their Criterion sale.

I've made a few random purchases there during the past year (they were one of the few online retailers to have preorders for the animated Animal Farm and Goodtimes Kingdom of the Spiders). I've been just as satisfied with the service as I always was (haven't had any problems).

But I agree with the general point... back in the LD days, Ken Cranes was the store. Great prices, great selection, great service. Now, in the DVD era, they aren't standing out as much as they used to. Prices are mediocre, selection doesn't seem as amazing as it used to be (lots of "out of stock" titles), and the shipping charges can really screw you if you aren't careful.
Old 12-09-02, 04:09 PM

The 12 Days of Christmas was one of the reasons I called and that's when I was told that the woman who handled that left the company a few months ago. I played last year and bought most of December purchases exclusively from DVDPlanet.com due to that game. I don't see any promotions and I am sorry to say they are beginning to look alot like another Amazon imitator. Once again, where did the spirit go!
Old 12-09-02, 04:46 PM

Well the reason Ken Crane's/DVD Planet isnt the same is because the old owner of Ken CRane's DVD, then Vice President of DVD PLanet, Kenny Crane is no longer there, along with alot of other long time employees. Ever since Image bought Ken Crane's it has been working at a lose! Which is extremely odd to me, because Ken Crane's LD/DVD (before it's DVD Planet faze) was very profitable. What I hear is that they have a new President of DVD Planet, which was Kenny's boss, is a total corporate guy that doesnt really care about the customer and employees, just the numbers. In my opinion, when you have a huge corporation acquire a family or sole proprieter business, the special touch that the individuls added becomes lost in paperwork or political crap.

I truly think that DVD Planet will crash and burn now that the backbone is gone. Have fun Image!
Old 12-10-02, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
I have never had trouble with this company-fast service-fast shipping.
Old 12-11-02, 12:02 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I remember buying all My LD's from 94-97 from KenCranes,they were the best. I used to run a video store at the time, and their prices were better than what our wholesaler offered. It is a shame that they were never able to adjust to the onslaught of online stores, and joe 6 pack.
Old 12-11-02, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm...they've been my main laser/dvd supplier for the last 7 years or so and I haven't had any problems with timely shipping from them, and their prices are about on par with all other online retailers that you don't have to wait two weeks for a disc to come in the mail.
Old 12-11-02, 11:18 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I've shopped at dvdplanet and I do not recall broken links and pages with no proofreading, etc. I did not really have a problem with them.

I read more complaints about deepdiscountdvds than dvdplanet. If Ken Cranes left, anyone know what he is up to, new store, etc?
Old 12-11-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Hulkabrgr
I remember buying all My LD's from 94-97 from KenCranes,they were the best.
Me too, Ken Crane's Laserdisc/DVD was the BOMB back in the day. It was the place to buy laserdiscs, nobody could beat them. Remember when they had yearly "members only" type sales? The whole place was like 40%-50% off! The line wrapped around the building and people ran in and ravaged the store. They were doing good with DVDs at the beginning, but like a lot of people, I went elsewhere because it's cheaper, and since a lot of people have FREE shipping now (with no tax to boot), it's not even worth stepping foot in their store anymore. Sucks, but I don't have a lot of cash, and the cheapest seller wins in my book.

On a positive not, they still have great deals on Criterion Collection titles, I'll probably stop by and pick up Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas when it comes out next year and when I'm in the area.
Old 12-11-02, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mapson
I read more complaints about deepdiscountdvds than dvdplanet.
Not me, I order from them almost exclusively online now. The only problems I had with them are that they don't update your account page very well (the section that shows your orders and what their status are) and their email notices are erradict. Your DVDs just kind of show up out of the blue, but always within 10 days (unless it's a pre-order, then I usually get it the day of the rest of the world, if not beforehand). They probably have a small staff. Also they've constantly price-matched my DVDs, even when the order was already sent or in my hands.
Old 12-11-02, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by mapson
If Ken Cranes left, anyone know what he is up to, new store, etc?
Retirement! He made a pretty penny selling his company and now all he has to worry about is how to spend it.
Old 12-15-02, 11:37 PM

One reason I don't shop at Ken Crane's (excuse me, DVD Planet), is their shipping policy.

They charge $2.50 for the first title and .50 for each additional which sounds reasonable unles you actually look how they charge for shipping.

When you pre-order titles for the same street date, you have no guarantee if they will ship together and have no "hold" option for one shipment. So if you order, say, 4 titles, the shipping charge could be $4.00 if shipped together or $10.00 if shipped separately.

Anyone have this same problem?
Old 12-16-02, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by dvdirv
One reason I don't shop at Ken Crane's (excuse me, DVD Planet), is their shipping policy.

They charge $2.50 for the first title and .50 for each additional which sounds reasonable unles you actually look how they charge for shipping.

When you pre-order titles for the same street date, you have no guarantee if they will ship together and have no "hold" option for one shipment. So if you order, say, 4 titles, the shipping charge could be $4.00 if shipped together or $10.00 if shipped separately.

Anyone have this same problem?
Their shipping charges are the main reason I don't buy more from them. Like you said, there is no way to reduce shipping by waiting and having the order shipped at one time. Also, they charge per disc, not per title. So if you order a 2-disc set, they charge $2.50 + $.50 for the 2nd disc.
Old 12-16-02, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, shipping charges are the main reason I don't shop there much any more. The charges just make it very difficult to find a good deal there... it's almost always cheaper to shop somewhere else.

I've even had issues when I've ordered 2 DVDs that were both listed as "in stock". And they *still* shipped separately, resulting in extra charges. I've suggested to them several times (well over a year ago) that they include a way for customers to better control shipments, but they seem to be ignoring it. They apparently feel that customers prefer to be surprised about what's coming in the mail...
Old 12-16-02, 02:18 PM

I took advantage of the Criterion sale last year, but I have not purchased anything from them since because of their shipping charges and California sales tax. It is cheaper for me to buy DVDs somewhere else.
Old 12-16-02, 04:42 PM

I remeber when shipping was only a $1.50 per ordered shipped. That was the good old Ken Cranes at work, not anymore.
Old 12-30-02, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ditto to the above: Great when they were Ken Cranes, phenomenal CS etc but once the changeover happened they went to hell in a handcart. International customers are particularly poorly treated being waaay at the back of the line for stock and ripped off on shipping as they ship every damn thing seperately costing a fortune. I sometimes think they’d ship the cover seperately from the disc and charge twice if they could get away with it. Used to buy all my LDs from them back in the day and got email/fax replies within the hour or same day at the latest. Now you’re lucky if you get one at all and if you do it’ll be weeks after the original inquiry. They suck big time.