Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Why Isn't DeepDiscountDVD Honest About Shipping?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-06-02, 10:09 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It states in the FAQ section on their website:

"Q: How long does it take to for my order to ship from DeepDiscountDVD.com?
A: In-Stock items normally ship from DeepDiscountDVD.com within the next business day. Pre-Order items ship to arrive on our about release date. Backordered items usually ship the following business day after receipt at DeepDiscountDVD.com."

Why is it, then, that an order I put it on Sunday (presumably to be processed on Monday, and shipped on Tuesday, HASN'T EVEN SHIPPED YET??????? (It's now Friday East Coast time)

Man, I'd rather pay a few bucks more and get honest business then this nonsense.
Lol! What's the point of calling it priority shipping anyway?

Ricardo
Old 12-06-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's an idea: why don't you call them up and ask what the hold-up is? Perhaps the item you purchased is backordered. Maybe it didn't go through correctly. Who knows? Call or e-mail.
Old 12-06-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
There are any number of reasons why your item may not have shipped, including credit-card denial, etc.

So perhaps, as suggested above, you might want to CALL the etailer before accusing them of not being honest.
Old 12-06-02, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And sometimes they just cancel your order that has a one-time use coupon because they don't have the item in stock, and they don't even tell you they did it until you pry.
Old 12-06-02, 12:56 PM

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts
Do they ever have anything in stock? Everything I've ordered from them has taken at least a month to ship.
Old 12-06-02, 01:39 PM
Cool New Member

I apologize, I didn't make myself clear enough: my order went through correctly, my credit card was not denied. I got confirmation for my order via e-mail. Upon checking the status of my order, it was listed as to be shipped on Thursday 12/5. I put in the order on Sunday 12/1.

BTW, it is still listed as "will be shipped," even though it's now already Friday 12/6. I should NOT have to call them. What is the point of having a webpage, if I have to make phone calls to sort this out?

Ricardo
Old 12-06-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It may have shipped and the website hasn't updated. I have had items ship from DDD, recieved them and the website still says it hasn't shipped yet.
Old 12-06-02, 02:45 PM

Have we ever heard of EMAIL! I'm just simply amazed. Have you ever thought of maybe the Holidays delaying things a little or many other issues might have arised. Oh I got it, EMAIL them instead of guessing and running their name through the mud.
Old 12-06-02, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ordered 7 titles on 3 seperate orders on Sunday 12/1. 6 of these titles shipped on 12/3 and 1 is on backorder. When I got my confirmation emails it said 2 were on backorder. While I was on their web site and ordering it looked as though they were all in-stock.

I would call to see what happened. I would not even bother to email as my last couple of emails took like 4 to 5 days to get a response.
Old 12-08-02, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I used to order all the time from them, and every single order I placed didn't ship for 4-5 days from the time of placing the order, at the earliest. These were all in stock items and there shouldn't have been any problems with a CC.

That's the main reason I never shop there anymore. The 2nd reason is the time they shipped (and charged) 10 of the same item to me, then claimed it had to have been my fault (even though their confirmation email stated exactly 1 item.) I got a 20% of code from them because of that, which I used to place my very last order.
Old 12-08-02, 02:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I am one of those people who have had so many bad experiences with DeepDiscountDVD, including getting six copies of a movie. The web site is not very helpful with the order history. The only thing that keeps me from bashing them is the great people that run the operation. I have had one nice person after another fix all of the problems I have run into. I just wish I did not have the problems that needed to be fixed.
Old 12-08-02, 07:43 PM

I only order from them if I do not care when the DVD arrives. I have had many problems with them on pre-orders. I would request priority mail and they would send my orders out media mail. Unless they have changed their policies, DDD considers pre-orders as backorders at the time of shipping, ignores shipping preferences and sends the order out media mail.

I gave them an earful when they requested feedback on my last order. I did not call them idiots, because the customer service representative/supervisors I have spoken to were very nice and tried to help.
Old 12-09-02, 11:00 AM

Here is what I can say to DDD based on my orders from them:

- Average business days before they ship your order from order date is 7 days.
- Average business days to receive your order after they shipped it to NJ, 15.
- Average loose disc 2 of 5.
- Average # of business days to refund payment after mailing them the DVDs for refund 30 business days.
- Worst CS representatives: females.
- Did I say the female CSRs sukc?
- Guaranteed lowest price on the web? Not anymore, I'm not pricematching with them just to save 10 cents and wait 20 business days after placing an order.
Old 12-09-02, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is what I can say to DDD based on my orders from them:

- Average business days before they ship your order from order date is 2 days, although oddly enough estimated shipping dates are usually 3 to 4 days after it actually ships.
- Average business days to receive your order after they shipped it to NJ, 8.
- Average loose disc 1 of 8. (Although this probably has little relation to DDD)
- Average # of business days to refund payment after mailing them the DVDs for refund: -15 days, personally I've always called up requested a return label and got a refund posted to my credit card and received the replacement before I've even sent out the defective/damaged disc.
[/QUOTE]
Old 12-09-02, 11:42 PM
Banned

What's up with all this DDD bashing these days on this forum?

Makes me more than suspicious that DDD is eating too much into some of the "regulars' " online business, ergo, the bashing.
Old 12-09-02, 11:44 PM
Banned

While we are at it, why is Amazon NEVER honest about shipping dates?

Their estimated arrival date is CRAP. Amazon always quotes an arrival date WEEKS beyond the actual arrival date, to give customers the ILLUSION that Amazon is running an ultra-efficient business.

Give me a break, I don't need Amazon to indoctrinate me in pyschological marketing all over again.
Old 12-09-02, 11:47 PM
Banned

And why does EACH and EVERY online retailer that claims shipment within 24 hours NEVER ships within 24 hours after ordering!

NOT 48 hours later, NOT 72 hours later, USUALLY 3 or 4 DAYS later!

And why do most online retailer charge a RIDICULOUS amount for shipping!
Old 12-10-02, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by DVD DVD DVD

Makes me more than suspicious that DDD is eating too much into some of the "regulars' " online business, ergo, the bashing.
Is it bashing to just report what happened?

I had a similar problem as the original poster. I ordered The Complete Monterey Pop: Criterion from them on 11/17; my order status on the website said the expected ship date was 11/21. 11/21 came and went, and I made some reference to this problem in a post on this site on 11/27.

Someone from DDD must've read my post, since I got an email saying they had finally gotten the item in and it would be shipping "today or tomorrow". That was around 11/28. I finally called them on 12/6, and they told me it was on backorder for a while but it "just arrived" and would ship that day. It didn't ship until yesterday.

I've liked DDD in the past, will probably use them again (as long as I don't need the item right away) and really don't mind having an item on backorder as long as I'm made aware of the situtation. But, their website said the item was "In Process" and shipping on 11/21 until yesterday (12/09) with no indication that the item was backordered.

BTW, "what's up" with your (triple) post getting off topic?
Old 12-10-02, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since we're consumers, I doubt that's why. Maybe because they've slipped a bit in the last few months, the number of complaints are going up? Nah, that can't be it.
Old 12-10-02, 08:34 PM

DVD DVD DVD also gets suspicious if a store is defended by forum members. A few weeks ago he hijacked a DigitalEyes.net coupon thread with a multi-post rant insisting DigitalEyes switched his impeccable used disc for a scratched one, robbing him of an expected windfall of $6 and change. Many insinuations and questions about true motives were cast by DVD DVD DVD when a majority of posters felt his accusations were unlikely. He did eventually apologize and admit "I didn't check the disc before I sent it to Digital Eyes." Check out the thread, it's an entertaining read: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=251665
Old 12-11-02, 09:23 AM

Considering you just registered last Aug, you're still a newbie. I can understand your concern. I'm just like you before, defending DDD for their CS and cheapest price. But I'm just expressing my dismay the way they changed their business practice. If your orders from them is just 1-2 DVDs every 2 weeks, you might not have a problem at all. But I order at least $100-$400 value per month.

Before, when I receive loose discs on my order, I call them, they send paid return postage and they ship replacements right away. But now, if I call, they'll tell me they're going to send paid return postage and will only send the replacements once they receive it which normally at least 1 month to wait. If I'm going to wait 1 month, I'll just tell them to refund my payment when they receive the loose discs and I order it somewhere else.

The last time I spoke to a female CS about returning loose discs, she told me they'll send paid return postage, after 2 weeks, I called them back again because I haven't received anything from them but they told me to wait 1 more week for a return postage that never came. After the 3rd week, I called again and they said they'll send it again. I document all the dates of conversation with them because in my experience, they usually refer to the last time that I called.

Another problem was there was a mix-up with my order and they shipped it after more than 2 weeks. They gave me 10% discount on my huge order which is good.
Old 12-11-02, 11:01 AM
Cool New Member

Since I am the originator of this thread: I have no intention of "bashing" DeepDiscountDVD. Neither am I affiliated with any competitor. I'm just a regular customer, reporting on my experience. I was under the impression that this was what this forum was intended to be there for.

I am just reporting MY experience. I have no beef with people pointing out their good experiences.

However, with regard to my first (and I can assure you) only order with DDDVD, the plot actually thickens. An item that was original listed as being available and ready for shipment has miraculously reverted to being on "backorder."

So, in effect my entire order is now in some sort of holding pattern, for reasons entirely unknown to me.

I e-mailed DDDVD about this two days ago, but, besides an auto-response, have not heard from them.

In contrast, I put in an order with DVD Empire yesterday before 2 p.m.

This order shipped today. I will glady forgo minor savings for good customer service.

Ricardo