Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

I hate Best Buy because....

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

I hate Best Buy because....

Old 12-06-02, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You always follow up a usage of "I don't know" with "let me find someone who does" or something similar. Even if you strike out and that person doesnt know you have still made the attempt to help the customer find what they want.

"It's too much of a hassle" would indeed make me wanna feed him his blue shirt.
Old 12-07-02, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can understand why some people hate Best Buy, and some people like Best Buy. Normally, they do have competitive prices on their merchandise. It might not always be the cheapest, but is usually good overall. And they normally have a pretty good selection of the popular stuff. So, if you can get in, find what you're looking for, and get out without dealing with customer service.....it's a good place to shop.

On the other hand, when it comes to customer service....Best Buy falls behind. One problem they have is just knowing and following their own store policies. Everyone, including management will give you a different story. It also differs from store to store. You might have a completely different experience at a Best Buy across town.

Best Buy's main problem isn't the kid in the blue shirt making $7 an hour. It's the corporate policies and management that is the problem. I know for a fact how hard they push their salespeople to get every customer to buy a service plan or buy accessories. Keep in mind their salespeople get absolutely nothing for selling you a service plan. But, they are CONSTANTLY hounded by management to sell them to everyone. For being non-commission, they are put under a lot of pressure. Management believes every 4 out of 10 customers will sign up for the "Performance Service Plan".......and that's all they care about. Since most people never have to use their service plans.....it's almost pure profit for them!
Old 12-08-02, 03:44 AM

Re: cRaZy BeSt BuY

Originally posted by ShaqKob
THERE IS A SIGN STATING A PENNY A PIECE,
I had a big argument with the manager at the Almeda store in Houston. I probably wouldn't not have gotten so mad, but he just flat out refused to honor the ONE CENT sign without giving any apology at all. He kept saying "that's what is says in the ad" and I said I didn't look at the ad, I'm just looking at the sign and it says ONE CENT. I wonder if we can file some kind of lawsuit against them for not honoring posted prices. Anbody know...
Old 12-08-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: cRaZy BeSt BuY

Originally posted by jimmywong
I wonder if we can file some kind of lawsuit against them for not honoring posted prices. Anbody know...

Care to state what damages you suffered?
Old 12-08-02, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'll say it again...the employees are incompetant! urgh! i called today to see if they had a dvd (disney treasures, mm in living color). the guy says yes so i get in my car drive all the way over there (i live in d.c so i have to go out to the burgs to get it) and they dont have it. it's not even in their system!!! all they have listed is the behind the scenes at disney one. and dont try to defend him by saying he misunderstood the title b/c i told him the title twice AND said there were several in the series, all in the same type of box.

Last edited by hgar78; 12-08-02 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-08-02, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

oh, and the guy i finally got to help me, could barely get away from some friends that he was talking to...they followed us around and he kept stopping to joke with them!
Old 12-09-02, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The stuff stuck in bins thing...sure, i'll admit that was partially not his fault (but he did handle it the wrong way).

This visit....well....he's on his own. This new guy and the other guy either sound like seasonal help or some of Best Buy "crack team" of veteran retail workers.

If he wasnt sure if the DVD was in he should have said "No, we don't have it in".

The yapping with his friends thing....i would have slapped the sh*t out of him.....Ren & Stimpy style.

Hgar78, just quit going to Butt Buy and putting up with these jerks....if you're gonna keep getting this treatment shop elsewhere, perferably someplace located closer to you or online.

And not BestBuy.com
Old 12-09-02, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, thats what i was thinking but it's only a frustrating experience when we deal with customer service. otherwise, we just go in, mind our own business and they never bother us. i have never had someone approach me about any deals (i.e netflix, psp, etc.)---of course, saying that, now they probably wont leave me alone! i hate to stop going b/c the deals are usually the best on release day. i know i should shop more online but i enjoy getting out of the house (i'm a grad. student and do most of my work here and not at school so leaving the house is a godsend) oh the grasp they have!
Old 12-09-02, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was going to post my BB stories, but I think everyone gets the picture: "Prices good, people bad". I run in, buy what I want, and get the hell out of there.

But I have a question for BB employees. One time when I was camping out before the store opened and I heard what sounded like Boot Camp inside. It was a lot of unified shouting and clapping. What the heck was that all about?

Last edited by darqleo; 12-09-02 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-10-02, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably a stupid-ass morning meeting.

I closed but i heard that the attendees of the morning meetings got to run "FUN" laps around the store or do jumping jacks to "wake up".

It was also supposed to improve employee moral or some other BS.

This tactic was used at our nightly meetings a few times.....the managers horsed around with stupid trivia questions and excercises when we really needed to spend that time trying to clean up our areas.