Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

I hate Best Buy because....

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-25-02, 11:14 AM
bug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They wouldn't give me back a $10 digital coupon after I had returned an online purchase.
Old 11-25-02, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best Buy is a cancer.

I honestly donít know why so many people continue to use and get abused by Best Buy. Is this forum frequented by masochists? I vowed over a year ago never to step foot inside a Best Buy again and have stuck to it. After hearing all the horror stories here and often experiencing the horror firsthand -- no matter what location I shopped at -- any savings I experienced just werenít worth the hassle and aggravation I endured.

And their online store seems to be just as problematic as their physical stores. Those digital coupons -- when you really start calculating the advantages/disadvantages of them -- arenít gaining anyone any better deals than can be had elsewhere. All they do is string the customer along into making a future purchase with them. (Break the cycle, people.) With a little bit of research and time, I can almost always find a similar, if not better deal elsewhere.

I hope the day Best Buy closes itís doors will occur before I pass on, but with so many people continuing to give them their business, and being treated like crap for it, they're assured a long, prosperous existence.

As for the problem being management, employee training or whatever, I really couldnít care whose fault it is. Iím the customer, damn it! When Iím treated unfairly, I take my business elsewhere. I donít go back for seconds.
Old 11-26-02, 11:07 AM
Cool New Member

I stayed away for 5 years...
Old 11-26-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate Best Buy because...
First they tell me that two promotions can't be combined. Then they tell me that it says so in the advertisement, but they won't show me where. Then they tell me I can't get- the free sampler fox sampler dvd with anything but Ice Age, which it says plain as day in the advertisement that it is with any Fox dvd. Then they tell me I can't buy the sampler DVD.
This makes me angry because the only reason I went there was for the sampler dvd so I walk around the store and I see a sign that says Fox Sampler DVD 1 cent. Still bewildererd I wind up buying the Fox dvd's I was hoping to get the sampler for free with then in a seperate transaction I buy 4 Sampler Dvd's for a penny each, but then 2 wind up going to 0 cents because the other 2 were Fox dvds.
Old 11-28-02, 02:25 AM
Banned

cRaZy BeSt BuY

just thought i gotta share this w/ every1...

Ya' know how this week, buy a fox dvd, specifically ICE AGE, get the fox demo disc #2 for FREE... well, in the back of our Best Buy they have a bunch of them and they have a sign stating 1 cent... so when i went on tuesday, i picked up mibII, memory cards, j.lo, snoop, and pac... also, i picked up 2 demo discs, heck 1 penny each right??? yeah, so... got two, pretty cool, i thought at least they're good for free cases.... so then today, my bro goes to get transformers season 2 and what not... well, he sees the sign, so he talks to the dvd guys, says, theoretically, i could take a cart from the front and wheel it on back here, dump all these demo discs in the cart and get em' for a penny each , right??? YES, the guyz agree w/ him,,, so... he goes and get s a basket thingy, takes 57, hehe, and brings them to the register, the cashier gets to ringin' in 18 and the manager comes over and asks what's goin' on, they talk for 20 minutes, w/in this time, the manager asks my bro to lower his voice, hilarious, he didn't raise his voice, the manager dishes out bs about how ya' gotta buy fox dvd, when THERE IS A SIGN STATING A PENNY A PIECE, so... my bro states the obvious and the manager was just bein' a jackass cause he knew that he really couldn't do anything about it but just argued anyways, so........anywayz, he says he can't let em' have more than 5 , so.........my bro had to be somewhere so he walked out w/ 5 ..........so what i'm sayin' , I SAY U SHOULD ALL GO TO YOUR LOCAL BEST BUYS, VIEW THOSE SIGNS THAT SAY A PENNY A PIECE AND SNATCH UP ALL OF THOSE DEMO DISCS AND AT LEAST USE EM' AS CASE REPLACEMENTS, REVOLT AGAINST THE EVIL CORPORATION THAT IS 'BEST BUY'.... LETS SHOW EM', IT'LL BE WICKED AWESOME FUN, THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT, A PENNY A PIECE, HEHE... AWESOME, TY FOR READING THIS, JUST THOUGHT IT HAD TO BE SHARED AND SPREAD TO EVERY1, TRULY MAGNIFICENT, ADIOS... haha
Old 11-28-02, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Ouch. Punctuation is your friend.
Old 12-03-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

...the employees are incompetent. i went in today to pick up goldmember and black christmas. can't find blk. xmas so i ask the nice gentleman who approached me to see if i needed help! guess he didn't expect me to say i needed help. asked about it, he looked it up and sees that the store should have it. immediately makes a sigh like 'great' and says that it's prob. in the back b/c there are "about 1,000 dvds back there" goes to look. comes back in--no kidding--2 minutes and says that since they aren't alphed that it would "be too tedious" for him to find it. suggests i come back tomorrow or go to another BB! after he left he wandered the store doing NOTHING!!!!! (i watched him). geez! come on BB and get your s*** together!
Old 12-03-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by hgar78
immediately makes a sigh like 'great' and says that it's prob. in the back b/c there are "about 1,000 dvds back there" goes to look. comes back in--no kidding--2 minutes and says that since they aren't alphed that it would "be too tedious" for him to find it. suggests i come back tomorrow or go to another BB! after he left he wandered the store doing NOTHING!!!!! (i watched him). geez! come on BB and get your s*** together!

Shipments come in bins and you have to take them out and sort them so they can be placed on a cart and put on the shelf.

During this time of year its not uncommon to get maybe 20+ bins worth of DVD/CD/Tapes....so his mentioning it would "be to tedious" is correct. Nobody has time to search 15 bins or 10 towering stacks of DVD's just to find one little DVD. I'm sure we would all like that to happen for us, but spending 45 minutes trying to find Black X-mas just isnt gonna happen. So coming back tomorrow or going to another Best Buy was your best option.

Since BB is going for the "sell" approach thay have really cut back on thier sorting duties at night....maybe a current employee can verify this but...I think all sorting is done in the mornings before the store opens. Problem is that shipments either come in the evening or in the afternoon so nobody can get to sorting the shipment.

He was wandering around doing "nothing" because he is required by his managers and the company to wander around asking questions and trying to sell sh*t.

Last edited by UAIOE; 12-03-02 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-03-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by UAIOE
Shipments come in bins and you have to take them out and sort them so they can be placed on a cart and put on the shelf.

During this time of year its not uncommon to get maybe 20+ bins worth of DVD/CD/Tapes....so his mentioning it would "be to tedious" is correct. Nobody has time to search 15 bins or 10 towering stacks of DVD's just to find one little DVD. I'm sure we would all like that to happen for us, but spending 45 minutes trying to find Black X-mas just isnt gonna happen. So coming back tomorrow or going to another Best Buy was your best option.

Since BB is going for the "sell" approach thay have really cut back on thier sorting duties at night....maybe a current employee can verify this but...I think all sorting is done in the mornings before the store opens. Problem is that shipments either come in the evening or in the afternoon so nobody can get to sorting the shipment.

He was wandering around doing "nothing" because he is required by his managers and the company to wander around asking questions and trying to sell sh*t.
i dont really give a d*mn. when i worked retail the main priority was to get the mechandise onto the floors when it had to go out! we were never caught with our pants down, if you were looking for it the day it came out, we would hand it to you. if it wasn't on the floor for some strange reason we went to the back and found it for you. it might have taken a little while but we always came through. the customer should come first!
Old 12-03-02, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The customer should come first, but its not that blue shirts fault because Best Buy is a lousy company.

Bitch to the company about the way they handle shipments or to the GM of the store about the fact that thier merchandise wasnt on the floor.

But don't bitch about the little man not doing anything when there really isnt much he can do.
Old 12-03-02, 07:44 PM
Cool New Member

[QUOTE}He was wandering around doing "nothing" because he is required by his managers and the company to wander around asking questions and trying to sell sh*t. [/QUOTE]

Sounds like if he tried a little harder he could've sold a copy of Black Christmas.
Old 12-04-02, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unfortunatly to the higher up's selling a DVD takes the back burner when they are trying to meet quotas of MSN/Earthlink/Whatever.

Having been in this guys shoes i can tell you that he is not the one to be taking the heat, its the company and its policies.

I dont like Best Buy any more than you guys but calling him lazy isnt going to get him to any closer to finding the DVD this time or the next.

He is made to wander around the floor hitting people up for internet and storage or he will be written up.

As i said before....bitch about the idiotic policy, not about the little guys who are required to abide by it.
Old 12-04-02, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just thought I'd point out that the "I love bestbuy" thread has 3 responses compared to this one. Granted this has been around longer but then again, its had more responses within the time the other thread has existed also.

I think the "little guy" does have to bear some responsibility sometimes. Perhaps in being more tactful and a little less rude in certain situations. I mean, if I'm having a bad day or my boss is riding me hard, I don't take it out on other people. In any case, management does suck badly at Bestbuy.
Old 12-04-02, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Selling things as list price is hardly a "Best Buy".

They are a blight on the world of consumer electronics.
Old 12-04-02, 10:24 AM

when i worked retail the main priority was to get the merchandise onto the floors when it had to go out! we were never caught with our pants down, if you were looking for it the day it came out, we would hand it to you. if it wasn't on the floor for some strange reason we went to the back and found it for you. it might have taken a little while but we always came through. the customer should come first!
I totally agree. When I worked retail many years ago, a little something called pride kept me doing everything I could to make the customer happy. Itís becoming increasingly rare for employees today to take pride in their job, regardless of the wage they receive. The moment a job becomes ďtediousĒ or not worth giving 110 percent for because the salary isnít high enough, then itís time to move on to another form of employment.

When I walk into a store, I expect to be treated with respect and to get answers when I ask questions. ďI donít knowĒ is something I donít care to hear, but it is an acceptable, honest answer. ď[It would] be too tedious,Ē is completely unacceptable. And if this guys job is to mope around answering questions and helping people, Best Buy should go ahead and fire his ass because I guarantee you ďtoo tediousĒ isnít the only thing heís telling potential customers. He was useless in this instance. Itís a safe bet heís pretty useless for his entire shift. And since Best Buy continues to hire people like this, theyíre just as bad. I guess adequate job performance is perfectly acceptable to BB.
Originally posted by mapson
Sales people are just people like us, there are good ones, bad ones, lazy ones, and yes even ones that bend over backwards to help us. Face it, we all have family members that can be represented by one of the above types, so why is it a shock that someone else out there behaves in the same manner?
Because these sales people are paid to serve the customer. Your family members and friends are not.

Last edited by lumberjack; 12-04-02 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-04-02, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by UAIOE

You are correct.. In fact it has gotten worse over the past year. They have what is called a double standard. They preach getting the product out as fast as possible, but managers complain when you are stocking product and not selling PRP's, MSN, Netflix, etc.

Actually the sorting is done during the day, someone is designated for this job. The actual stocking is supposed to be done in the morning before opening.

Last edited by llzackll; 12-04-02 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-04-02, 02:32 PM

The reason that I hate Best Buy is that when they have a deal, a sales person would try to make it like as if it was an error.

This was a while ago, but still fresh in my head. It was the initial release of Friends Season 2. It was on sale for 49.99. At the same time, they had another ofer of 10% off all Collector's Box Set. So with just a little common sense, 10% off 49.99 would be $5 dollars off. The sticker on the Friends box was 59.99. When I took it up to the register, this old lady tung it up and said it's 49.99 + tax. I pointed to her that it was 49.99 - 10% off. She then went on to say that the discount has already applied. I looked at her and said how can 10% be $10? She couldn't answer that and said that Friends was not a Collector's set. I didn't bother to argue any further and left to Costco and picked it up for 46.99.

I might have paid 3 - 4 dollars more, but saving my energy to laugh with the series that night was so much better. I swear, it's when we ask for that little discount, it's coming out of their salary or somerthing. It's like their eyes light up red...
Old 12-04-02, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lumberjack
I totally agree. When I worked retail many years ago, a little something called pride kept me doing everything I could to make the customer happy. Itís becoming increasingly rare for employees today to take pride in their job, regardless of the wage they receive. The moment a job becomes ďtediousĒ or not worth giving 110 percent for because the salary isnít high enough, then itís time to move on to another form of employment.

The salary given is actually pretty good especially considering the requirments, but the respect from both customers and management are the greatest lacking factor. The discount is also a HUGE reason to stay, I wish I was still there p/t but alas I also hate BB and could not handle their crap any longer to save a little $$ on DVDs and a couple of electronics. I managed to save over $1600 on my HT(audio set up only-not to mention some of the $$ to pay for the HT) working p/t there a few nights a week. However I only wanted to be there 1-2 nights a week and it was turning into 4-5 nights a week, which I refused to do while working a 9-5 during the week. I took pride in my work there as I have always done in all of my jobs. But after dealing with management that treats you like a # and [email protected] customers for enough time, it is almost rediculous to expect anyone to give 100%(110% is a corny line from an extremely unmotivational motivational poster). Anyone that disagrees with this needs to go work at BB for a week in Nov/Dec, you will have a whole new opinion.

As for the guy walking around doing "nothing", as stated he is doing exactly what corporate BB wants him to do. Why waste 45 minutes looking for a dvd that they will make $2 on when he can wonder around sell a few accessories(storage, cable and other high margin items) a netflix or some service and make almost 100% profit on. This is what is trained from the corporate offices and people can get fired for not doing this. So please do not bash this employee for doing what he is told to do, complain to the people making these decisions. BTW I would have found the movie as I did not give a crap about pushing crappy MSN or other trivial items, and I had no fear of loosing that job.
Old 12-04-02, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would have gone back and looked for the DVD...i did that many times, and i wasnt concerned with selling MSN or storage.

But to be honest, it may very well have been too much hassle to look through 27 bins for the DVD. The employee really should have said something like "The truck hasnt been unloaded" or that the product is still being processed at recieving".

Nothing really is quite as annoying as trying to find something for a customer, only to be met with seven stacks of bins that have yet to be open.

But like Cusm said, you could sell one $20 DVD to one customer or you can spend that time trying to sell $200+ worth of stuff to many customers...Best Buy would rather you sell the $200+ than a measly DVD.
Old 12-04-02, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i was never rude to this guy. all you who say give him a break or dont take it out on him, i never did. as inappropriate a line as "too tedious" was i let it slide and said ok. i realize mgnt sucks, all retail mgnt does, but that's no reason. i should have walked outta there with blk xmas in my hand. plus the guy spent like 2 minutes "looking", my guess is he had just enough time to walk to the back, stop, turn and walk back to me! and like UAIOE said he should've come up with another excuse!
Old 12-04-02, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i was never rude to this guy. all you who say give him a break or dont take it out on him, i never did. as inappropriate a line as "too tedious" was i let it slide and said ok. i realize mgnt sucks, all retail mgnt does, but that's no reason. i should have walked outta there with blk xmas in my hand. plus the guy spent like 2 minutes "looking", my guess is he had just enough time to walk to the back, stop, turn and walk back to me! and like UAIOE said he should've come up with another excuse!
You are 100% correct, and as I said I would of found the movie for you. My post was not directed at you, I know how frustrating it is for a store to have what you want and not be able to get it because the employee can't/won't get it for you. I was just directing everyone here bagging on the guy to bitch to those that it matters.
Customers are what drive retail, but to BB corporate customers are to do their bidding, not the other way round. It will take people voicing their opinion to the guys at BB making huge salaries to fix the customer service problem. BTW BB wants to do to media(CDs & DVDs) what Walmart has done to the grocery business, control 90%.
BTW I have had a GM instruct me that when busy and someone ask for a cd, I was to point them to where that section of the alphabet was and not leave the areas that have high margin items(video games). This is BS in my book, as BB is not commision I did not care if I sold a $6 CD or $600 in video games and accessories.
Old 12-05-02, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Cusm
Customers are what drive retail, but to BB corporate customers are to do their bidding, not the other way round. It will take people voicing their opinion to the guys at BB making huge salaries to fix the customer service problem.

Exactly.

Corporate treats thier customers like they treat thier employee's.....like crap. Corporate has people trained on how to offer....::cough:::SELL:::cough::: Earthlink/Storage/Service Plans. And in the 2 years i worked for BB i dont think i even had one meeting on actual customer service. All the meetings i ever had were on BB's "Customer Service" which is SELL SELL SELL!!!

BTW I have had a GM instruct me that when busy and someone ask for a cd, I was to point them to where that section of the alphabet was and not leave the areas that have high margin items(video games).
I was written up for a similar incident. I was stuck in Boomboxes on a slow & snowy Monday night. Mondays are slow, and the roads were somewhat bad...so that mean next to no customers. I was informed not to leave this area unless a customer pulled me out..ok fair enough. Anyway a young woman asks me for the Outkast CD, she couldnt find one so i walked her over there and got some from the 30 box stored under the rack (the shelf was empty). After she leaves i put some on the shelf so that customers could find the CD's and that i wouldnt be asked for the CD again (it was selling alot at the time).

I'm called up to the front and informed by my Dept. Supervisor that i evidently did something wrong. I was promptly written up for "being out of my area" and "handling merchandise". After hearing that BS i asked him what i was supposed to do, he told me i was to use my portable phone to call the other employee (which we were never trained how to do) from the other side of the department (in video games, a good 70 ft away) to show this woman to the CD's that were 10ft away from me. I told him that i was putting more product up there to avoid others asking me for it and that the customer had pulled me from my area. He didnt wanna hear any of it....so I was written up. I refused to sign it and he got flustered at me because i wasnt caving in. From that point on i was never placed in Boomboxes again (that was as close to being trained on the damn things as i ever got).

I think this incident had more to do with my supervisor not liking me (long story). But it goes to show that having the customer leave the store happy is not one of BB's higher priorities.

Yeah, its a story for that BestBuySux website but i dont feel like going there.
Old 12-05-02, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mrkent
The reason that I hate Best Buy is that when they have a deal, a sales person would try to make it like as if it was an error.

yeah, i was wondering about this...we've had that happen numerous times. it is like they are mad about coupons! do they train you all for this? like they get you in the store with the coupon and then try to d*ck you around about it?

example....a couple of weeks ago, we went to buy $14.99 dvd (not on sale as the sticker said and as we knew cause we almost bought it a couple of times before). we had a 10% coupon that they sent us for any dvd 9.99 and up, not on sale. she rang it up and said the coupon didnt apply. when asked why, that it should, she said b/c it was on sale. she said since it was ringing up as $17.99 the 14.99 price was the sale price. now i should tell you this was the CKY3 dvd, which is never on sale. so, we said no that wasnt right and she got very rude about it and stopped talking to us. she went to get help and in the end we were right but she completely shut down and didnt talk to us again!
Old 12-05-02, 11:03 PM

How about this? I love Best Buy but hate Circuit City and Media Play. They always have higher prices than Best Buy unless there is some super sale. Everytime I go to Circuit City, it seems the employees ask me every 10 seconds if I need any help. I hate that. If I need help, I'll ask for it. Also, if Best Buy owns Media Play/Suncoast/etc., why are Media Play and company's prices ALWAYS (unless some crazy sale) higher than Best Buy? Another good thing about Best Buy is back when the original 3 James Bond DVD sets came out, I think set #3? was out and they had a sale sign that said "James Bond DVD set $69.99", it didn't specify which set, so they game me the newest one for that price, even though it was supposed to be a lot more. I can't remember the exact prices or which set was which. By the way, I had no problem getting the Fox demo DVD for 1 cent with my Creepshow DVD. I love using my Best Buy card to buy things and not have to pay for them right away. I have NEVER paid interest on any of my credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, Best Buy, etc.) I ALWAYS pay my full balance when I recieve the bill. But with the Best Buy card I don't have to do this because they have no interest for so long or whatever. The only thing I don't like about Best Buy is them pushing the service plans, except it seems they haven't done this as much lately. Never had any problems returning things to the store from Best Buy.com. They did lose a roll of my sister's film once and took forever to repair our PC's and camcorders, but those are forgivable. They usually have great DVD prices the first week the movie is released. They almost always price match anything I bring an ad in for. They even matched the Media Play ad and I bought 2 Criterion Rock DVD's for $14.99 each at Best Buy, even though Media Play was sold out. They wouldn't let me get K-Mart's $9.99 Grand Theft Auto Music CD box set misprint though. (Although my mom convinced K-Mart's manager to order 5 of these for us for $9.99 each, since it was their mistake!)

About getting games a day late, who cares? I'm used to it since the local video game store I work in goes through distributors and not direct with Nintendo/Sony etc. so we ALWAYS get games one- five days after EB or whatever. We also NEVER hold anything until a release date, even if by chance we happen to get it early. If it's in the store it's for sale. I mostly only buy DVD's at Best Buy, not games, unless they are cheaper than what I can get at my work (which is for our cost), and sometimes stores sell below cost (including our store, but only if the game is not selling well.) (This paragraph is about the store I work at, not BB.)

Anyway I would shop at Best Buy ANY DAY over Circuit City or Media Play.

Sorry to dissapoint everyone about not hating Best Buy, and no I don't or ever plan to work at Best Buy.

Last edited by marioxb; 12-05-02 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-05-02, 11:25 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by lumberjack
When I walk into a store, I expect to be treated with respect and to get answers when I ask questions. ďI donít knowĒ is something I donít care to hear, but it is an acceptable, honest answer.
When I worked retail, the rule was to follow that with a "but I'll see if I can find out." Inventory systems occaisionally are incorrect. Sometimes stock wanders out of the store. Sometimes, during the reception process, the wrong number was entered. These things happen. Regardless, you should always make the appearance of helping the customer. Even if you don't want to look, go in back and stand around for 5 minutes. Come back and tell me "I checked, but I didn't see it back there." Nine out of ten customers will think "Oh, at least he tried," and will be satisfied. "It's too much of a hassle" really makes me want to see your manager.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.