Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

"Number Slate" (Online DVD Rental)?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-19-02, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.numberslate.com/ns?intro&front

A Netflix-like model for $13.95 a month. Anybody heard of them or used them yet?
Old 11-19-02, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you do a search, there will be a couple of threads briefly discussing this.

I did their free trial back in August. I wasn't impressed with the turnaround times. Both of my titles shipped out (to the east coast) on 7/30. I watched them the day they arrived and shipped them back right away. One was received back on 8/10, the other on 8/13. That's nearly 2 weeks for them to send and receive a title. That was way too long for me... it would cut my rentals in half vs. using Netflix.
Old 11-19-02, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 198 Likes on 176 Posts
I've been using Number Slate since the beginning and I'm still a member. I started with them before Netflix got their butts in gear and greatly improved their service. Their turn-around time is decent- originally it was better than Netflix, but now Netflix is down to two days on average, while Slate varies between three and four. Number Slate's best quality is that they get a lot of niche titles that Netflix misses. Its easier to get Criterion and Anchor Bay titles there, as well as real small companies like Hen's Tooth. They're also better with smaller "artier" titles, hard-to-categorize stuff like the "Backyard Wrestling" series, and edgier sexual material. On the other hand, while they do carry the "big name" titles, they seem to get them a few weeks later than Netflix or your neighborhood rental store, and they don't have nearly the number of copies of individual titles that Netflix has. Also, their "queue system" tends to be vague about title status, -their inventory lists every title in some database but they only carry a third of it (and they're not always clear about what "third"). Still, they offer an affordable (for me) "two titles for 13.99" option while most of the others don't anymore, and that actually helps keep me as their customer. I'm not at all impressed by an of these new services popping up, -they charge as much as Netflix (or just a bit lower), but they don't offer one-third the number of titles.

Last edited by DWilson; 11-19-02 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-24-02, 04:10 PM
Cool New Member

I'm west coast... so the DVDs for Number Slate have to go back and forth to the east coast? DWilson, what part of the country do you live in?

I'd really like to do a 2-out for $13 or $14 plan. I thought NetFlix had a plan like that, but couldn't find it on their site just now. Are there any NetFlix customers out there that know about this?

Thanks,
Old 11-24-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by nickel
I'd really like to do a 2-out for $13 or $14 plan. I thought NetFlix had a plan like that, but couldn't find it on their site just now. Are there any NetFlix customers out there that know about this?
You can get this at Netflix by signing up for the 3-out plan, and then threatening to quit. When you go through the screens to quit the program, they offer you the 2-out plan to stay.

I've never tried it, but I'm sure you could probably just sign up for it directly by called them and talking to customer service.
Old 11-24-02, 07:33 PM
Cool New Member

Ah-ha, the ol' "save" technique. I sent an e-mail to NetFlix customer service asking flat out if I can get the 2-out plan. I'll give them 2-business days to answer. If not, I'll try the "Free Trial" and then try to quit and see if I get that offer. If not, I'll just have to quit and use Number Slate. Thanks.
Old 11-25-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 198 Likes on 176 Posts
To answer your question, Nickel, I'm from Missouri and they operate out of Kansas, so I'm right in their backyard, mailing-wise. I assume that's why I was getting a very quick turnaround at first, though Netflix beats them now. Oddly enough, -and it may be strictly coincidence, -since I've cut back to a 2-disc plan from a 3-disc plan, I've noticed a slower response time. I've heard other people with two-disc plans complaining about their response times and I've always dismissed it as paranoia, but now I'm not so sure....