Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Really pissed at Best Buy...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-02, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went in to BB today to price match the GTA: Vice City box set of CD's that's in the KMart ad, because there's no KMart near me.

Got to the register and the cashier said she wouldn't do it, because "the markdown is too much, there must be some kind of mistake". This pissed me off, considering usually I price match there with no problems. I asked her to call a manager, because what the hell is the point of price matching if they won't match prices?

The manager came over and said they could absolutely NOT do it because the ad had to be a misprint. I told her that Circuit City was sold out because of this ad and that they told me it was right (I had gone to Circuit City earlier)....she told me they couldn't do it.

What the hell good is it to advertise price matching if they won't match the frickin' price? I'm f'n pissed, I doubt I'll go there for a hassle like that ever again.

Anyone come up against anything like this before?
Old 11-19-02, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This has happened numerous times before and discussed on here.

Some stores you have to practically twist a managers arm to get them to price match.

I'd talk to a General Manager, if you get nowhere with him/her...screw Butt Buy...if they dont want your money then take it elsewhere.
Old 11-19-02, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by UAIOE
them to price match.

I'd talk to a General Manager, if you get nowhere with him/her...screw Butt Buy...if they dont want your money then take it elsewhere.

Uh..... I think that's what they want you to do - buy it at a lowball price somewhere else so they can sell their copies at their marked prices.
Old 11-19-02, 09:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Is Best Buy really obligated to price match a misprint in a Kmart ad? Is it worth getting pissed because they won't sell you something at a HUGE loss for them?
Old 11-19-02, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was it a misprint?

If it wasn't, I can see being irked at Best Buy for not price matching all competitors. But then again if the K-Mart wasn't close enough for you to drive to, why should Best Buy price match them? Why not just go to K-Mart?
Old 11-19-02, 09:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Heat
Was it a misprint?
Yes. Kmart put the picture of the box set with the price for the compilation album in their ad, so it looks like they are selling the box set at a huge discount.

Since Kmart isn't really selling the box set for that price, people are price-matching at other retailers hoping to trick them into thinking that it's the box set going for that low.

Here's the original thread: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=251420

Last edited by Groucho; 11-19-02 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-19-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Really pissed at Best Buy...

Originally posted by Tarantino
...Got to the register and the cashier said she wouldn't do it, because "the markdown is too much, there must be some kind of mistake"...
Well, she was correct, right?

This thread is pretty funny. You were trying to scam Best Buy and got caught. Instead of saying "dang, they didn't fall for it", you get all pissed off at Best Buy. What are you going to do? Not shop there anymore? I don't think Best Buy will mind.

As for the box set, if you really want it, you can always buy the box set from Amazon.com for $40, with free shipping.

Last edited by Heat; 11-19-02 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-19-02, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah i was really mad at them when my crew and I tried to walk out with a plasma 42 inch Samsung tv. I tried showing them an ad for a local hi fi place that said their bargain on that tv was a steal but the manager wouldn't give in. In fact he got so mad he called the cops and had us arrested. Damn bastards at Best Buy. I'm never going there again!!!!!
Old 11-19-02, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How much was it in the ad? oops never mind just clicked on the link above

Last edited by matome; 11-19-02 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-19-02, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I get pissed when Best Buy doesn't fall for my scams either! Those tricky bastards!
Old 11-19-02, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by marty888
Uh..... I think that's what they want you to do - buy it at a lowball price somewhere else so they can sell their copies at their marked prices.

I dont know what the price for the set is, i dont really care either.

Best Buy has shown that they would do this kinda crap even on a trivial amount of a mark off (even $1).

So in the case of a legit price match, its best to go elsewhere instead of getting hassle from "the leaders in great customer service"

(for all you lurkers out there)
Old 11-19-02, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Buy is known for speaking out of both sides of their mouth!

They say they price-match, but when pushed they won't do it. They say they offer customer satisfaction, but their Customer Service people do anything but!

Just try and exchange an item without a receipt and see how far "customer service" will get you!
Old 11-19-02, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have to go with Heat on this one.
Old 11-19-02, 09:51 PM
Banned

Bestbuy sucks!
Old 11-19-02, 09:53 PM
Banned

Bestbuy sucks!

I had the same experience with an anime movie I ordered at bestbuy.com on sale, arrived damaged, and wanted to exchange the item in store. And that lady at the service desk wanted to charge me the full price! Took me an hour to get the exchange policy through her thick skull!

Bestbuy only hire retards for their service department!
Old 11-19-02, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Cheddarmuff
I have to go with Heat on this one.
Yup, I hate Best Buy as much as the next guy, but honestly, they don't have to honor deals like this.
Old 11-20-02, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jiggyblau
Yup, I hate Best Buy as much as the next guy, but honestly, they don't have to honor deals like this.
Agreed. Contrary to most people's belief, advertising mistakes do not have to be honored by the store advertising them (at least that's the law in NY). If the advertiser doesn't have to honor them, why should a competitor?

That being said, if they're dumb enough to honor it, it's a windfall for us. I remember when the PS1 first came out. Toys R Us had an ad for memory cards at 2 for $20 (they were supposed to be $20 each). When I went to TRU, they had the correction posted right next to the display. Of course, the Wiz did honor the ad--almost without limitation. I went into 2 separate Wiz locations and purchased 10 cards each time.
Old 11-20-02, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by dvdirv
Best Buy is known for speaking out of both sides of their mouth!

They say they price-match, but when pushed they won't do it. They say they offer customer satisfaction, but their Customer Service people do anything but!

Just try and exchange an item without a receipt and see how far "customer service" will get you!
I don't know man, I got one of those X-Box Bundle deals last Christmas with that Oddworld Game and Gotham Racing and Tony Hawk skating, I kept Tony Hawk and brought the other two to Best Buy (my mom got the X-Box at TRU) and they took them back with no reciept no questions asked, an easy $100 if you ask me