Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Where do you Canadians buy your DVD?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-02, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Canadians we're not privy to alot of the cheap e-tailers with great deals. I hate paying duties or brokerage fees when I buy stuff from the States, so I'm asking those Canadian members for a hand.

I usually buy them through stores like Futureshop, but even they charge you an arm and leg for delivery. I use to buy from Sam's the Record Man (Toronto), HMV (occassionally).

I'm in Toronto, does anyone have a suggestion?

Thx

Last edited by Ronin008; 11-16-02 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-16-02, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My A&B Sound normally has super super cheap DVDs on the first week of release, then the next week they go up about 5 bucks.

However, if it comes in bilingual packaging, blah! I don't buy it, I pick it up in the states when I visit next or order off Amazon.

Also, amazon.com isn't bad because you don't get dutie and bokerage fees, since they have a Canadian hub.
Old 11-16-02, 03:25 AM

Originally posted by BizRodian
My A&B Sound normally has super super cheap DVDs on the first week of release, then the next week they go up about 5 bucks.

However, if it comes in bilingual packaging, blah! I don't buy it, I pick it up in the states when I visit next or order off Amazon.

Also, amazon.com isn't bad because you don't get dutie and bokerage fees, since they have a Canadian hub.
That's interesting.. would you have to buy from amazon.ca to get it dutie free? I know some sites state they have more stock in different hubs than others.

I'll give it a try. Thx.
Old 11-16-02, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree..amazon.ca or futureshop is where I order mine..Delivery is very quick too usually 2-3 business days
Old 11-16-02, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I buy online from amazon.ca and they are pretty reasonalble on shipping and prices. And delivery is lightning fast as well.
Old 11-16-02, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I buy either from Future Shop, Walmart, or Costco. Online, I generally stick to amazon.ca or amazon.com. With Share The Love, and coupons, Amazon.com is often the cheapest place to get DVDs. When it is bought at .com, it is shipped from inside Canada, which means it bypasses customs, so there is duties or fees on it. But since it is not a Canadian company (.com), they cannot charge tax. So basically, from .com, you get things tax free.

Amazon.ca usually has great prices as well. Chapters.ca is starting to have pretty good prices as well. Absound.ca and cnl.com are not bad either.

I hate bilingual DVDs as well. I will order those from the US to avoid the bilingual packaging. Can someone tell me for sure that ordering one of these DVDs from Amazon.com will get me the US version, even though it is shipped from within Canada?
Old 11-16-02, 08:18 AM

Can someone tell me for sure that ordering one of these DVDs from Amazon.com will get me the US version, even though it is shipped from within Canada?
Amazon.com = no bilingual packages
Amazon.ca = bilingual packages
Old 11-16-02, 08:20 AM
Cool New Member

I usually go into a Future Shop store to buy DVDs, but if the Canadian DVD has a really bad bilingual cover or removes an english DTS track in favour of a french track, then I buy online from Amazon.com or Amazon.ca.

You definately get the U.S. version from Amazon.com. I just got 6 dvds from them this week. You can also get the U.S. version from Amazon.ca. Just match the ASIN # on .ca with the # on .com. It will also often say [IMPORT] next to the name of the movie on .ca.
Old 11-16-02, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are quite a few dvd's I have bought (online or not) that don't have any bilingual covers. It depends a the company I guess. Ones like paramount (some of my Friday the 13th ) have the bilingual covers.
Old 11-16-02, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if you buy from AMAZON.COM when converted into canadian funds is it still cheaper than buying from AMAZON.CA or does it average out to about the same..

example: Monterey Pop Festival Criterion set is:

$83.97+ tx+ no ship = $96.53 CDN
$59.96+ tx+$4.98 ship = $64.94 U.S

What's the exchange rate??

Thanks in advance whomever answers
Old 11-16-02, 09:37 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
$96.53 is equivalent to about $60.91.

$1 US = $1.58 Canadian
Old 11-16-02, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Toxic Handshake
You definately get the U.S. version from Amazon.com. I just got 6 dvds from them this week. You can also get the U.S. version from Amazon.ca. Just match the ASIN # on .ca with the # on .com. It will also often say [IMPORT] next to the name of the movie on .ca.
That is a good point. I never thought of that. I will have to try it out. Thanks!
Old 11-16-02, 02:01 PM
Dai

I normally shop around between the following places:

Future Shop
Walmart
Superstore
CNL.com
Old 11-16-02, 02:43 PM

Yeah, our prices are good, too bad we are cursed with the horrible billingual packaging.
Old 11-16-02, 03:11 PM

I've gotten Band Of Brothers and Stragate SG-1 Seasons 1&2 from amazon.ca and they were identical to the U.S. release no billingual packaging.
Old 11-16-02, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well the packaging depends on the company that makes it. If they want to be stupid and piss everyone off, they use biligual packaging. Sign the petiton linked in my signature, I'm going to write a letter to studios who mess up the packaging soon.
Old 11-16-02, 04:34 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moving to Store Forum.
Old 11-19-02, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by kcdny
I've gotten Band Of Brothers and Stragate SG-1 Seasons 1&2 from amazon.ca and they were identical to the U.S. release no billingual packaging.
Nice information since I will probably buy Stargate season 1 & 2 from amazon.ca. Thanks.