Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Someone please gouge my eyes out if I ever shop at BestBuy again..

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-18-02, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone actually ever gotten any help from 1-888-BEST-BUY?? I purchased the Near Dark set from BB, expecting to receive a $5 digital certificate when it was shipped. I received the DVD around 9/20, and last week realized I never receiver the $5 certificate.

I called 1-888-BEST-BUY, and was told that the CSRs didn't have the authority to re-issue, but a case would be submitted to the people deemed smart enough to help me.

Three days later, I receive a form e-mail, stating that the promotion is over, but thanks for inquiring. Irritated but still rational at this point, I call again. I am told I can't speak with anyone who actually makes the decisions, and they can't give me a phone number to this area because they only deal in e-mails, etc. Why can't I speak to thse peolpe myself?? A second case is opened, with the assurances that it has been clearly explained that I purchased before the offer expired, and that I never received the $5 certificate.

Three days after that, I receve the same form e-mail from the same (probably fictional) Tracey from customer service. Another call, another bunch of "Sorry, I cannot reissue/transfer/help you." Also, they never want to switch you to a supervisor; they are there only for administrative support.

Now I'm really fired up, and after wishing that everyone at BestBuy gets a rash on their ass, I called AMEX and disputed the charge. After calming down, I called back, had a THIRD case opened, and was promised a call rather than e-mail. When I asked this CSR who I can speak to about the absurd policy prohibiting the consumer from seaking directly to the people who make decisions and actually might be able to help, I was referred to the corporate offices, although they wouldn't give me the number. I had to get it from the website. I spoke to a few people at corporate, with no relief. Best Buy can bite me.
Old 10-19-02, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a bad experience purchasing a DVD from BestBuy online. It was also related to a gift certificate they mailed out. It took me several emails and phone calls to finally straighten out the problem. But suffice to say that I've never shop at BestBuy online after that experience. Just too much hassle and a waste of time to work out their problems.
Old 10-20-02, 11:00 AM

Well, after disputing the charge with AMEX and 7 phone calls (including 2 to the corporate office in Minnesota), I've finally received my $5 digital certificate. Already used it on Boiler Room SE (6.99-5.00= 1.99 + tax), but after this, I would set foot in a Best Buy if I needed to use the Men's Room. Saving a dollar or two isn't worth the grief.
Old 10-20-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Someone please gouge my eyes out if I ever shop at BestBuy again..

Originally posted by junior
Has anyone actually ever gotten any help from 1-888-BEST-BUY??
I called 1-888-BEST-BUY, and was told that the CSRs didn't have the authority to re-issue, but a case would be submitted to the people deemed smart enough to help me.
Thanks for the laugh. I had a very similar experience a while back and completely understand your frustration. I like their local store and have always been treated well there. Sadly, they have a truly pitiful online presence. I sometimes think the CSRs exist only to give you the runaround. They have no authority to do anything else. I think their strategy is to wear people out so they eventually give up.
I still buy movies at Best Buy if they have the best price but I never forgot that runaround and went elsewhere to buy my 65" widescreen.
Old 10-22-02, 06:49 PM

Just my 2 cents...
I purchased a DVD online at BestBuy.com for $14.99. It was delivered on 10/17/02. On 10/20/02 the online and retail ad had the same title for $12.99. After several calls to customer "NO" service I have been advised that "Sorry there is nothing we can do to help you." and "We don't price match".
I couldn't get the drone to understand I wasn't trying to "price match" a different retailer or .com site but that I expected they would honor their own price change !!!
I used an example of buying a TV for $700 on Wed and Sunday having it go on sale for $500. The response was "Too bad. The price you pay is the price your are stuck with."

Chilling business practice to say the least.
Old 10-22-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Junior,

I had the exact same situation when trying to get them to re-issue a DVD that was lost in transit. I could not believe that they couldn't get in touch with there Investigations department via phone! Obvisiously, they are some top secret crack team that never sees the light of day - or prehaps they don't give their names or identities out because of the hordes of pissed off people that would like to [insert gruesome torture here].

I ended up have to dispute the charge with my credit card company, who issued a chargeback within the hour. Funny thing was, that same night, Best Buy also did a charge back so I got double the price refunded to me.
Old 12-30-02, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of curiosity Junior, have you kept to your "no Best Buy" pledge, or should we get the spoons out?*

*spoons being an obscure reference to an article I read a long time ago in Psycology Today, about a torturer in central america. He said that the weak prisoners he could get information out of by just threatening to beat them, or slightly beating them. The strong ones had to be severely beaten (or fingernails removed, etc). The tough ones had to have their eyeballs popped out with a spoon before they'd talk. All prisoners were then killed. This wasn't a nice guy.
Old 12-31-02, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My tip of advice is to never use BestBuy.com.....NEVER.

Before the site was up and running to the public (i got to hear about it/see it when i worked there....WHOOPIE!!!) I gave the site one look and went on shopping with Amazon or B&M stores. Gut instinct told me that the site wouldnt be any good...and that since Best Buy the stores have dumb policies and some not so smart workers (some of my former co-workers) I figured the website is going to inherit these wonderful traits as well.

Looks like i guessed correct.

So to avoid hearing one more person getting screwed by that ignorant website PLEASE shop elsewhere.

Just say no to digital cupons and phone jockey's who dont even have the athuority to wipe thier own asses.
Old 12-31-02, 06:09 PM

Bestbuy.com and the Best Buys store are totally seperate entities(spelling?). They work seperately, wouldnt recommend not shopping at a store because of your experience at with the website.
Old 01-01-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I havent had any problems with bestbuy's site. Anytime i e-mail them a problem i get a response quickly. So strange how everyone has totally different experiences with a store

capt