Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy SUCKS!!!

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy SUCKS!!!

Old 10-13-02, 09:46 AM
Casper Guttman

Best Buy SUCKS!!!

Whether it was my mistake or there's, I had the P&S version of Spider-Man on order, so I asked them to change it to the WS. And they refused! They said I could only cancel my order! Which I can't do as I'd lose the $10 coupon I put on the order! Their other suggestion was to go to my nearest Best Buy. Well, there isn't one! IDIOTS! That's the last time I do business with them. Luckily, the DVD will only cost me $7.00.

Old 10-13-02, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
It kinda sounds like your fault here. Why did you order the P&S version if you wanted teh WS anyway?
Old 10-13-02, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I was using a $10 coupon that was not replaceable if I were to cancel my order, I'd make damn sure that I wanted what I ordered.

Anyway, just take the p&s version into your local b&m best buy and ask to switch it (before you open it, of course). And stop blaming Best Buy for your mistakes.
Old 10-13-02, 01:43 PM
Banned

Why not order it, send it back for a replacement, and get the one you want? Sure it'll take an extra week, but its not the end of the world.
Old 10-13-02, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts
If you're going to threadcrap, at least try to sound intelligent.

Goat3001, you've never made a mistake? Ever think he didn't MEAN to order P&S?

Heat, he already mentioned in his post at the top of the thread that there is no Best Buy nearby.

Matta, that would involve him paying the shipping back and there's no guarantee BB will exchange it after they told him they couldn't switch it before shipping.

Jeez.
Old 10-13-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems to me that the post should be titled something other then what you have it. You ordered the wrong disk, and now you are upset with them because they will not let you switch disks? And they suck because of that. I guess in the future you will learn to look at the screen on front of you before you hit that submit button.

You made the mistake, not Best Buy.
Old 10-13-02, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by GatorDeb
Matta, that would involve him paying the shipping back and there's no guarantee BB will exchange it after they told him they couldn't switch it before shipping.
Well, he made the mistake, not BB, so I don't see that it's too big of a deal to make him pay shipping back. If I were at BB and bought the wrong version I wouldn't expect them to repay my gas money when I went back to swap it instore.

Yes, everyone makes mistakes, and it can suck when you do, but try to take some responsibility for your own actions. Best Buy was doing what you requested until it became too late for them to make any changes. I guess they should've been smart enough to realize you wanted the WS version.
Old 10-13-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just don't see what the big deal is with Best Buy switching the DVDs before shipping. Don't tell me now that Best Buy is the best at fulfilling on-line orders

I don't see it as asking too much to change an order before shipping.
Old 10-13-02, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that Best Buy should just let him make the change on the order. The way they are handling this reminds me of why I do not order from buy.com, as it was impossible to cancel any order with them after it had been placed.

Is there a brick and mortar store you might be able to exchange the disc at for a widescreen edition? Say you got it as a gift and didn't have a receipt? It's worth a shot.

And I understand how easy it is to pick up a pan and scam copy when you don't realize two versions are being released. I learned my lesson with Beautiful Mind (was able to exchange it at Best Buy for a WS thankfully). May not be much consellation, and I am not threadcrapping, but I bet you will pay attention from now on! It only takes being burned once in a situation like this to learn the lesson! And to be fair to Casper Guttman and in response to those who feel they never make a mistake, when you go to bestbuy.com and type in Spider Man in the search engine, and you click on the link under MOVIES, the PAN AND SCAM version is the ONLY one that comes up prodominately. The widescreen SE is listed down below and is only indicated in small text. Somebody not realizing there are two versions may not see the widescreen listed there; it's in an area most webstores use as suggested buys for those interested in the title searched for. And since the pan and scam is the main listed Spider Man DVD, I am sure it will sell more copies because people won't see there are two versions available, and Fox will suddenly go, "Hey, pan and scam sells more than widescreen!" and widescreen DVDs will continue to get smaller and smaller spaces available in stores. And that's a bigger crime than somebody ordering the wrong version on a website that doesn't clearly list two versions when the search comes up.

Last edited by calhoun07; 10-13-02 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-14-02, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just to show what good customer service is in response to this: I made an order at campmor.com, and realized that I had ordered three glasses of one style and one of another, as opposed to two and two. The rep said that she couldn't add the correct pair to the order, but that what she would do is pull the triplicate from the order and send the replacement separately with free shipping on that extra shipment.

Now THAT is customer service. Whenever I need stuff that campmor sells and price is comparable between it and another store, guess who's getting my money. Was it my fault? Yes. But they didn't see that, they just saw a customer with a problem and fixed it.

If only everyone could be like that.
Old 10-14-02, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by GatorDeb
...If only everyone could be like that.
I agree, that is good customer service.

Incidentally, here is another thread about how a store "sucks":

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=230286
Old 10-14-02, 09:20 AM
Casper Guttman

I guess those who enjoyed blaming me and trashing the thread can't read. I said I don't know who's fault the incorrect order was. I ALWAYS ORDER THE WIDESCREEN VERSION ON EVERYTHING. And I own over 2,000 dvd's. All I know is that when I went to check the order, it wasn't the widescreen version, and I can't prove anything as I failed to save the screen when I placed the order! Anyway, I just wanted to say that to those of you who enjoyed calling me an idiot.

Old 10-14-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Heat
I agree, that is good customer service.

Incidentally, here is another thread about how a store "sucks":

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=230286
At least he's not saying widescreen sucks with those black bars chopping the picture
Old 10-14-02, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Casper Guttman
I guess those who enjoyed blaming me and trashing the thread can't read. I said I don't know who's fault the incorrect order was. I ALWAYS ORDER THE WIDESCREEN VERSION ON EVERYTHING. And I own over 2,000 dvd's. All I know is that when I went to check the order, it wasn't the widescreen version, and I can't prove anything as I failed to save the screen when I placed the order! Anyway, I just wanted to say that to those of you who enjoyed calling me an idiot.
And yet the only two threads you've made have to do with how bad a store sucks just because you made mistakes when placing orders. Yep, it's easy to see how bad these etailers are!

From having worked at a now defunct etailer, my experience is that 99.9% of 'problem orders' are from customers making a mistake and then blaming the etailer.

No one's calling you an idiot, but don't look for sympathy when you can't take responsibility for your own mistakes.
Old 10-14-02, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This thread has all the tell-tale signs of an impending death spiral:

1) use of the phrase "threadcrap"?* check.
2) rolleyes? check.
3) accusations of not being able to read/understand/communicate?** check.
4) all sides' opinions accounted for, in at least duplicate? check.

Closing.

*Yes, I am known to throw around this term as well. Usually, it's in a thread I'm about to close.

**On both sides.