Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

**** Suncoast!!! I'm Done!!!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

**** Suncoast!!! I'm Done!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-02, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F**k Suncoast!!! I'm Done!!!

I have a Suncoast/Sam Goody right next door to my job. And for the second week in a row they've short change on new releases.

2 weeks ago, no Strange Brew.

This week, NO Saturday Night Fever, Jason Goes To Hell and only one copy of Urban Cowboy.

So this morning I drove the extra 15 miles to Best Buy and picked up the four mentioned above (all of which they had plenty of) and a copy of Jason X.

I'm done with Suncoast, they can take this Replay card (I've had since '96) and shove it up their a**es. I'm sick of it.
Old 10-09-02, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
What took you so long? I can count on two fingers the DVDs I've bought from Suncoast. And both only because I couldn't find them elsewhere. And boy did I pay for that convenience.

I used to have drive 25 miles for a Suncoast when I lived in Kentucky. Even if I didn't have a ton of BB's within spitting distance, I'd drive the drive instead of paying Suncoast's prices.
Old 10-09-02, 03:58 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Somebody on this forum actually purchases DVDs from Suncoast? You might as well just hand them your wallet paying MSRP like that.
Old 10-09-02, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i still go there to flirt with the girls working there
Old 10-09-02, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I go there to chat with the clerks. They're very, very knowledgeable, and considering they're paid anyway, they don't care if you buy anything. Most of them appreciate an intelligent conversation better than a purchase!

If you're ever in Orland Park, Illinois... talk to the lads there. More trivia about italian zombie films and Spider-Man than I ever thought I'd know.

As for what I've ever bought? Best of Benny Hill VHS tape for a tenner, and Boondock Saints for $14.99. Apart from that?
Pleasure-filled company.
Old 10-09-02, 04:10 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moving to Store Forum.
Old 10-09-02, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
The last thing that I bought at a Suncoast was the CC Hard Boiled about a year after it went out of print
Old 10-09-02, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude, if you don't have a decent store near you, I have two words: Mail Order
Old 10-09-02, 04:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by weargle
The last thing that I bought at a Suncoast was the CC Hard Boiled about a year after it went out of print
I've got to at this because, the same thing is true for me!
Old 10-09-02, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only go to Suncoast to look for obscure movies (like old horror or out-of-print titles) or movie merchandise (mostly figures/statues) that they usually have on clearance after a month.
Old 10-09-02, 05:41 PM

My business with musicland group is mainly online.

But I have never had problems getting new releases
from B&M stores. Though I usually pre-order with
a small deposit and they call me when its in. They
have on occasion broken street date.

I mainly go after weird titles or box sets.

Their return policy is very liberal. At least the ones
I have shopped at. They also exchange my replay
certiifcates onto gift cards. Even though its says
on the certificates they are not suppose to.
Also they are very good about honoring misprices.
Unlike many other retailers of late.

I would say about 50 percent of my purchases have
been thru them over the last 4 years or so.

Though since BB bought them up, I am waiting for
customer service to go downhill. Maybe some
of the above problems are reflected by that?
Which then is very sad indeed.
Old 10-09-02, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only thing Sunocast is good for is returning unwanted gifts. they'll take ANYTHING back without a receipt, and give you full MSRP credit. I had an X Files set purchased at a deep discount I didn't want and they gave me $149.99 credit for it.

Knowledgeable clerks? Not in the stores I've been in. Ask them about a movie even slightly out of the mainstream and you get blank stares. If they don't "see" it in their computer, they deny that it exists. I've actually heard them tell customers something was on moratorium or wasn't on DVD at all yet that can be found at B&Ms all over town. They simply don't know, don't care, and if in doubt, tell you it doesn't exist. My friend asked about THE COLLECTOR and they told him they had no listing and it wasn't on DVD even though Tower Records down the street had several copies on the New Release shelf. How can they not be aware of a new release from Columbia Tri-Star? And if they aren't, why do they tell people that it isn't out? Why not admit they just don't know, it's not in "their" computer...

I will shop their bargain bins now and then, but everything else is just way to high.
Old 10-09-02, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
wow. why the hell would you want to buy from suncoast? the high prices?

Sure you can find some of the OOP titles there. Thats only because the prices are so high.
Old 10-09-02, 08:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
I go there to chat with the clerks. They're very, very knowledgeable, and considering they're paid anyway, they don't care if you buy anything. Most of them appreciate an intelligent conversation better than a purchase!

If you're ever in Orland Park, Illinois... talk to the lads there. More trivia about italian zombie films and Spider-Man than I ever thought I'd know.
I've noticed this too. I was in there last week while at the mall. I heard one of the clerks talking to some guy about a bunch of Argento and Fulci movies, and then he started complaining about how Suncoast doesn't carry a lot of DVDs that Fangoria talks about.
Old 10-10-02, 01:13 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Groucho
You might as well just hand them your wallet paying MSRP like that.
Thats hilarious..........but true!!
Old 10-10-02, 02:09 AM

My brother use to buy from them, until I reamed him a new a**. Thank god for DVD Price Search.
Old 10-10-02, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I won't buy anything there because of the prices alone.
Old 10-10-02, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder how they stay running. Must still be countless saps paying MSRP for their movies.
Old 10-10-02, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Steve Phillips
The only thing Sunocast is good for is returning unwanted gifts. they'll take ANYTHING back without a receipt, and give you full MSRP credit. I had an X Files set purchased at a deep discount I didn't want and they gave me $149.99 credit for it.
yup, i agree. the only things that i have ever 'bought' from them are movies from GC's that i had to burn. the thought of paying MSRP for something just makes me cringe.
Old 10-10-02, 08:41 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Only DVD I have ever bought from them was Clerks : The Animated Series. Paid $10 over retail because BestBuy was sold out. Grrrr.......
Old 10-13-02, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I shop at Suncoast whenever I'm at the mall, but I rarely actually buy. They are good for finding something that's OOP, or is obscure. At the one I've been to in Portland the clerks are intelligent and good to talk to. For the most part they know movies, and they know obscure/foreign titles.

It's also a fun place to people watch, if that's your thing. I like to see what types of people buy what type of movie.

I think Suncoast is definitely overpriced, but my experience is that they're also a quality store with quality employees.
Old 10-13-02, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I just bought a disc I have been wanting to find for a while (Saint Tail Vol. 1 with the manga.) It was $29.95 (MSRP is 24.95, according to DVD Profiler.) I am planning to go back and see if I can find any of the OOP titles that I want.
Old 10-15-02, 06:21 PM

I agree with most of the posts here. I don't particularly enjoy paying MSRP unless it's something truly hard to find.

What no has mentioned in this thread is that Suncoast (part of the Musicland Group which includes Media Play) is now owned by Best Buy!

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me!
Old 10-16-02, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I rarely shop there unless I'm looking for something obscure. I was very happy though when they were able to track down a copy of Halloween: Limited Edition for me about 6 months after it went OOP. I was more than willing to pay the 40 or so for that set.
Old 10-16-02, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
I've got to at this because, the same thing is true for me!
Me too!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.