Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best online store (non-auction) to sell used DVDs?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-03-02, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Where should I sell off my obsolete titles, the ones I want to upgrade or the ones I'm not interested in anymore? I don't want the hassle of auctions. Just looking for recommendations on the various other sites.

Half.com has become like ebay, and doesn't give you a price quote before you commit. The only one I've used so far is Digital Eyes, but I'm sure there are many more... Where have you sold your extra discs online?

Last edited by adamblast; 10-03-02 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-03-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't sold to them yet, but have bought a number of times from www.SecondSpin.com

They'll give you price quotes online and will pay you by check if you prefer that to store credit.
Old 10-03-02, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I notice Second Spin has a better price on obsolete titles, like the old versions of Pulp Fiction and Resevoir Dogs, than Digital Eyes...

Any other suggestions?
Old 10-03-02, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts
Re: Half.com;
What do you mean,
"Half.com has become like ebay, and doesn't give you a price quote before you commit."

Half.com, like ebay, is a clearinghouse type place. I have bought and sold hundreds of dollars of items on Half.com. You post the item, you select the price you want to sell it for, and you wait till someone buys it. Tip: if you're selling single dvd's, offer a 'Free upgrade to first class shipping!' For one dvd, first class shipping is usually less than, or only slightly more than, Media Mail, [1.26 vs. 1.33 in my experience] and that added 'extra' could be what leads someone to buy from you.

You can sell stuff for as much as you want; and Half.com has gotten extremely liberal about what they'll let be posted [check out Cowboy Bebop Perfect Sessions:
http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cg...1877&meta_id=3

That first item, that's 80 bucks instead of 500? That's that d*mn pirated Chinese copy of the set, where it's crammed onto 3 disks instead of 6.

Also, Arc the Lad collection for PSX; before it was even out, some jerk was posting it for 149.99 [MSRP was 74.99.]

Anyway, if you want to instantly dump your disks, Half.com isn't the best place. But if you want to recoup some of the cost, and don't mind waiting, they're pretty good. One thing I don't like: their commission on most sales is 15% of the item price [I believe.] They give you a shipping credit, which helps, but that commission can jack up real quick. For cd's and dvd's less than, say, ten bucks, it's not too bad.
Old 10-03-02, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I mistakenly thought half.com was a store at first, not another auction/clearinghouse place...

I'm much more interested in knowing my price upfront and dealing only with a commercial outlet rather than individuals... But thanks for the half.com overview...
Old 10-03-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts
That's cool; sometimes I do too, depends on the item, price, and my mood.
One thing about half.com; you post the item to sell, and the person buys it--sending the money through half.com. As far as I can tell, they have to pay with credit card. Half.com sends you an order request and a ship-to address, and you send it to the buyer. Later [2ce a month for direct deposit, much longer for checks mailed] half.com pays you. So while you are dealing with an individual, as a seller, you will get paid, unlike ebay, where sometimes you have to wait for the payment.
Old 10-03-02, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another option is digitaleyes.net, though I don't know if they pay with check or store credit. I've never sold to them, but it is another option.

Here is their DVD quote machine: http://www.digitaleyes.net/qm.cfm