Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Sorry to admit it, Good Service at BB

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 09-13-02, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I hate to say it, but I have to. I have always said that when you get good service at places like Best Buy who are notorious for lousy service, you should let it be known to the higher ups.

Well, I went in and picked up Romper Stomper at BB and paid $25+tax. I didn't bother asking the cashier to PM the K-Mart ad I had. I just went straight to the service desk and the lovely young girl working gave me their 110% PM guarantee no problems. Amazing. Walked out with it for around $8.50! Anyway, I tried calling later on to compliment her to the manager, and of course couldn't even get anybody to answer the phone! Figures.

Anyway, thank you to (name withheld)!

Last edited by Abob Teff; 09-13-02 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-13-02, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abob thats great news
Old 09-13-02, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At the Springfield Best Buy? Thier standards have improved!!
Old 09-13-02, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I had a great experience at BB too.
I bought an good "open box" Sony receiver (about $50 off regular price) which had a slight scuff across the front. I didn't really like that, but it was worth saving the $50 to me.
Well, I got it home and one button seemed to be permanently stuck down. I brought it back, and the manager (had to get to him) let me do an EVEN exchange for the same receiver brand new, and he was plenty nice about it too. I didn't expect that and new he didn't have to do that, but he did--and that will keep me going back for more.
Old 09-13-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The BB's in SoCal have been pretty laid-back (just from my experience). I've never experienced any of the aggressive sales tactics I've read about so often here. I can imagine it gets pretty arrogant in other parts of the country, though.
Old 09-13-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Sorry to admit it, Good Service at BB

Originally posted by Abob Teff
Well, I went in and picked up Romper Stomper at BB
What?! Nobody pushed the extended warranty?? Somebody's going to get fired.
Old 09-13-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Sorry to admit it, Good Service at BB

I hate to say it, but I have to. I have always said that when you get good service at places like Best Buy who are notorious for lousy service, you should let it be known to the higher ups.
I agree and disagree. I agree that when you get good service at places that usually have a bad rep then it should be known. But only to people that bitch about service. So you coming and posting your good experiance here was a good thing to do.

BUT, good service should be expected. The only time I would go to a "higher up" and tell them about a certain employee is if that person went "the extra mile" to help you out. From your story, the girl just did what she had to do without giving you a hassal. No Hassle doesn't equal excellent service IMO.

With that said. I think its good that you didn't get a hassled with your order. And I can honestly say the same for pretty much all my BB experiance except for times when I'm buying something big and I need a service plan.
Old 09-13-02, 08:47 PM
Cool New Member

Re: Re: Sorry to admit it, Good Service at BB

Originally posted by Movie_Man
What?! Nobody pushed the extended warranty?? Somebody's going to get fired.
Just today (13SEP) I bought a HDTV
from BB, and nobody offered me
an extended warranty, or service
plan, or anything else.

I did have to flag down a passing
kid to help me load the box in the
cart, and he was a bit surly, but
I was sure the cashier would try
to sell me on the plan.

Oh, well.

==Jake
Old 09-14-02, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Sorry to admit it, Good Service at BB

Originally posted by kesinger
Just today (13SEP) I bought a HDTV
from BB, and nobody offered me
an extended warranty, or service
plan, or anything else.

I did have to flag down a passing
kid to help me load the box in the
cart, and he was a bit surly, but
I was sure the cashier would try
to sell me on the plan.

Oh, well.

==Jake
must have been that defective HDTV they were trying to get rid of- pushing the extended warranty for that one would have gotten them fired

I agree that them just doing their job is no reason to cheer-

although I did have an employee come up to me the other day saying he remembers me and was just curious if I bought all the new releases when they come out

I admit I have seen him around before but I don't buy them all...just most of them

At least he was friendly
Old 09-15-02, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Goat3001 BUT, good service should be expected. The only time I would go to a "higher up" and tell them about a certain employee is if that person went "the extra mile" to help you out. From your story, the girl just did what she had to do without giving you a hassal. No Hassle doesn't equal excellent service IMO.
Good service should be expected, but I think it goes beyond just doing your job without giving a customer any hassles.

Dealing with an employee who's zombie like, bored and has other things on their mind while they 'help' you is a much different experience than dealing with an employee with a good attitude, that's full attentive to you and from all outward appearances is happy to be there and likes their job. The end result is the same, a non-hassle return or price match, but the latter will usually be a much more enjoyable experience.

I wasn't there obviously, but I bet he was helped by someone who liked being there as opposed to someone more concerned about making it through the day.
Old 09-17-02, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally posted by Goat3001
BUT, good service should be expected. The only time I would go to a "higher up" and tell them about a certain employee is if that person went "the extra mile" to help you out. From your story, the girl just did what she had to do without giving you a hassal. No Hassle doesn't equal excellent service IMO.
Goat, I am with you man! Anybody who reads my posts in the Stores Forum should know my feelings about customer service. I wholly agree with you that doing the basic job is not good customer service.

But here is my theory (and it is just a theory): These big box retailers have pushed service out the door in lieu of cashing in on quick sales . . . lie to the customer, screw the customer, just get the $$dough$$. The sad fact is that customers no longer EXPECT service due to this! These big box retailers ONLY hear about customer service when it is poor. In fact, they are so used to hearing about it that they DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT ANYMORE! Try to make a customer service complaint these days and you are greeted by a voice mail and the deafening sounds of stupidity. It is no longer about poor customer service, even! It is about NO customer service! Anyway, my theory is that, just maybe, if we go out of our way to tell a retailer "Hey, I just had a CSR who provided good service/the answers I needed/was helpful/whatever! and I APPRECIATE IT" then, just maybe, customer service may make a comeback (say, in 5 years or so).

When I worked retail (video stores, sales and rental) I told my employees that if I ask a customer if they need assistance, the ULTIMATE compliment is if the customer replies, "Is Employee X working? They are always so helpful and they know what I like." I would never be insulted by this . . . I would be proud of my employee.

I know . . . I'm dreaming here, aren't I, man?

Old 09-18-02, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Sorry to admit it, Good Service at BB

When I worked retail (video stores, sales and rental) I told my employees that if I ask a customer if they need assistance, the ULTIMATE compliment is if the customer replies, "Is Employee X working? They are always so helpful and they know what I like."

Same here, that really is the ultimate compliment when it comes to working retail.
Old 09-19-02, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the Romper Stomper price match with absolutely no problems at all.

I rule.