Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

amazon.ca the best place to buy DVDs now?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 08-09-02, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The store is relatively new, so they don't show up on www.dvdpricesearch.com, but I have compared prices at www.dvdpricesearch.com and have found quite a few titles far cheaper at amazon.ca. Not in every instance, but in the vast majority of titles I have price checked, amazon.ca has their competitors beat. The only other site that is near them on DVD Price Search is www.dvdsoon.com, but they charge you once you place your order, which sucks for pre orders. But I often see amazon.ca beat dvdsoon in prices.
Old 08-09-02, 11:36 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How's their shipping time?
Old 08-09-02, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would not use Amazon.ca unless you are ordering mass release titles... do not use them for anything which is the slightest bit different.

I pre-ordered an anime dvd (Vandread) and after 3 weeks of being released it still had not shipped.

Another fellow ordered an anime box set (Escaflowne), they said it was backordered and just flat out cancelled his order

My brother preordered another anime DVD (Orphen 6) and it had not shipped a few days after release so he just cancelled it.

Amazon also did not try to help me, they blamed the warehouse and later the supplier. I had to Email Amazon.com and ask them to reinstante my preorder which I cancelled in June in the hopes of ever getting my dvd.
Old 08-09-02, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know yet about shipping time (I got preorders from them for now), but any place I ordered from in Canada before has always been pretty fast. I don't see why they would be too different.

I trust Sopranos is a mass release. And I hope my BBC titles are also like wise big enough releases. I'd hate to have to order those else where, as I never found them cheaper.
Old 08-09-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, if it says 'usually ships in 24 hours', it's normally a safe bet, but I would not bother with anything that says ships in 1-2 weeks or more.
Old 08-16-02, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Is an easy way to convert their Canadian prices while browsing?

Having cheap after-conversion prices won't do me any good if I don't know what I would be charged until after placing an order...
Old 08-16-02, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by adamblast

Having cheap after-conversion prices won't do me any good if I don't know what I would be charged until after placing an order...

Grab a calculator, look up the current rate of exchange online or in the local newspaper business section and do the math. The credit card company should be within 1% of that rate allowing them for some padding their rate. The current US-Can rate is about $.64 US to the Canadian Dollar. So if the Canadian price is $30.00, the equivalent US rate is $19.20. True you cant always control if the transaction is placed within the hour, or posted a day or two later, but for the sake of a few pennies difference, most of us deal with that.

Remember, most retailers will always charge you in the domestic currency, and leave rate fluctuations for you to gain or lose from. Sites that post both Canadian and US dollars are doing so for informational/comparative purposes only.

Being from Canada but living in the US I dont find a lot of exceptional DVD deals at either online sites or retail stores in Canada, but sometimes you can save a buck or two.

When it comes to alcohol, clothing and some durable goods....well, thats a whole other ballgame....
Old 08-16-02, 01:20 PM

Does amazon.ca ship to America?
Old 08-16-02, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by apemanttt
Yes - check out their shipping rates on the website. As I recall they are about $4.49 CAD per shipment plus 99c CAD per item.

PS - By "America" I am assuming you mean the U.S.

Last edited by maineiac; 08-16-02 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-16-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am taking a chance and preordering a couple of television box sets at Amazon.ca. I found the prices better than the U.S. store using STL, coupons and free shipping. It was also nice that your existing account will work without having to set up a new one.
Old 08-16-02, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like they ship to the U.S. but orders here do not qualify for free shipping.
Old 08-16-02, 06:00 PM

Did anyone find a coupon code for amazon.ca?
Old 08-16-02, 09:52 PM

Check out this deal:

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...940108-5238437

Looks pretty good, but it says it hasn't been released yet.
Old 08-17-02, 06:16 AM

Check out this deal:

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...940108-5238437

Looks pretty good, but it says it hasn't been released yet.
At about the same time that SG-1 Season 2 is being released, Season 1 is having a price reduction. That is why it is showing as "not yet released."
Old 08-20-02, 02:49 AM

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES

Looks like they ship to the U.S. but orders here do not qualify for free shipping.
now you know what it feels like

(Amazon.com likewise offers free shipping on certain orders.. but not to customers outside of the use.. whereas if they were being nice they would discount the postage for overseas customers by an amount equal to the domestic shipping they would have waived for said orders)

Hemulen
Old 08-26-02, 03:43 PM

10 off 50CAN

from the main Amazon coupon page
http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....0&pagenumber=1

CANADASMAG5T $10 off $50 unknown 8/22
Old 08-26-02, 06:58 PM

Re: 10 off 50CAN

Originally posted by MacKenzieIII
from the main Amazon coupon page
http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....0&pagenumber=1

CANADASMAG5T $10 off $50 unknown 8/22
'New' customers only...
Old 08-27-02, 05:50 AM

I tried to use the code but even though I had never ordered from Amazon.ca it wouldn't let me since it considered my Amazon.com account as making me not a new customer. So I simply opened up a new account, using a different email address...but everything else the same and I was able to use the code.
Old 08-27-02, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

six bucks shipping vs. free?? whatever money you save you spend to have it shipped to ya
Old 08-28-02, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by adamblast

There are some really good online currency converters too. The one i use is XE:

http://www.xe.net/ucc/
Old 08-31-02, 03:58 PM

Where does Amazon.ca ship from?

Does anyone know where they ship from? I live in Canada, and if they ship from Canada, then I wont be charged any customs or duties.

If amazon.ca ships from the same warehouse as amazon.com, then it will be shipped from the U.S and I will be charged duty and taxes.

Does anyone know the answer to this?
Old 09-05-02, 09:42 PM

Re: Where does Amazon.ca ship from?

Originally posted by Dan325ci
Does anyone know where they ship from? I live in Canada, and if they ship from Canada, then I wont be charged any customs or duties.

If amazon.ca ships from the same warehouse as amazon.com, then it will be shipped from the U.S and I will be charged duty and taxes.

Does anyone know the answer to this?
You won't be charged duties on amazon.ca. Heak you won't even be charged on the .com if you select the cheapest shipping rate.

for more info check the dvd section on gfl:

http://bowl.goldfishlegs.com
Old 09-08-02, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For the curious:

I got my sets of Are you Being Served and Sopranos Season 3 on the 5th. Not too damn shabby considering they came out on the 3rd. I guess if you're one of those who MUST have your DVDs the DAY they come out (I used to be one of those people but soon learned to relax, you can't watch them all the day you get them anyway) then that won't appeal to you, but I think that was excellent and fast delivery time for DVDs that came out the 3rd.