DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Store Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum-7/)
-   -   Blockbuster Threatened Now By Major Retail Chains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum/222677-blockbuster-threatened-now-major-retail-chains.html)

cooper2000 07-15-02 07:30 PM

Blockbuster Threatened Now By Major Retail Chains

This is the best news I've heard in a long time. They bully studios and edit their films.
What goes around comes around.

Blockbuster Threatened Now By Major Retail Chains

"Aggressive" pricing of DVDs by major retail chains like Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, Target, and Costco -- where the discs are sometimes employed as "loss leaders" -- poses a significant challenge to Blockbuster, the nation's largest video rental chain, the Los Angeles Times observed today (Monday). Noting that the average owner of a DVD player buys about 15 DVDs a year, Ben Feingold, chief of Sony's Columbia TriStar Home Video unit, commented: "That's the bigger issue for a Blockbuster." (DVD sales totaled $905.5 million at Wal-Mart, but only $160 million at Blockbuster.) The company quoted from an SEC filing in which Blockbuster acknowledged that competition from the retail chains "has increased consumer interest in purchasing movies on DVD and has reduced the advantage to home video retailers." Meanwhile, today's Daily Variety reported that spending on home video purchases and rentals was up 13.3 percent to $8.79 billion during the first half of the year.

RichardW 07-15-02 07:32 PM

:lol:

SideShow 07-15-02 07:37 PM

I read that this morning at the IMDB, it made me smile :)

codefree 07-15-02 07:53 PM

Noting that the average owner of a DVD player buys about 15 DVDs a year
Can't imagine any of us are "average" - I buy at least that many in a month! ;)

DRG 07-15-02 08:06 PM

Originally posted by codefree
Can't imagine any of us are "average" - I buy at least that many in a month! ;)
I suppose we can justifiably refer to ourselves as "above average" now. :)

pdjennings 07-15-02 08:19 PM

Re: Blockbuster Threatened Now By Major Retail Chains

the average owner of a DVD player buys about 15 DVDs a year
Umm... no... that was last week :)

MistisoMan 07-15-02 09:40 PM

Hehhee, 15 DVDs a year. I have double that on order. I'm not bragging, though since many are long off preorders, and I know others with 50+ on order. Oh well. LONG LIVE DVD!!!

Jadzia 07-15-02 10:35 PM

"Who watches the same movie twice?"

:rolleyes:

Or whatever Blockbuster's lame slogan was a few months ago.

Obviously more people than they thought!

UAIOE 07-15-02 11:02 PM

Blockbuster.......for you......

{Pedro}
My tears, they flow like waterfalls....
{/Pedro}

:rolleyes:

kevin75 07-15-02 11:21 PM

woo hoo!!!

milo bloom 07-15-02 11:32 PM

Wal-Mart is my DVD bitch. I know you people trash them, but if more of you shopped there, they might expand their horizons. And if you made sure to buy the widescreen version, we could swing the vote back our way.

huzefa 07-15-02 11:34 PM

The sun has risen, the clouds are gone, birds are singing, and Blockbuster is going down the drain! I still remember those ads on the sides of the buses from a couple of months ago, "Rent 4 DVDs for the price of one." Ha!

silentbob007 07-16-02 12:25 AM

Die BlockBuster Die!

bdshort 07-16-02 12:26 AM

Actually that buy 15 a year might describe me right now... Havent watched a ton recently, and the only thing I have on order right now isn't coming out till November (I think we all know what title that is :) )

Brian

VHS? 07-16-02 12:56 AM

BlockBuster.............................................................................

GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!!!!

One less sub company of Paramount I have to deal with :rolleyes:
They can leave and take their 'Be Kind,Rewind' stickers with em'!

kilcher 07-16-02 01:02 AM

You guys may think this is funny now but I doubt you'll be laughing later. The way I see this playing out (and I could be wrong) is that Blockbuster will increase the pressure to get that rental window they've been wanting. And I'll bet they succeed.

VHS? 07-16-02 01:05 AM

Dont matter,they will still have high prices.
Plus,Hollywood Video offers more,for less.

D-Ball 07-16-02 01:30 AM

Maybe Blockbuster is starting to realize that charging $4 for every dvd rental isn't such a great idea.

ENDContra 07-16-02 01:41 AM

Originally posted by D-Ball
Maybe Blockbuster is starting to realize that charging $4 for every dvd rental isn't such a great idea.
Exactly...they will whine and b*tch about people buying rather than renting and they will push for a rental window so that they dont have to compete. Blockbuster has no intentions of competing...if they did, they would drop rental prices to $2-$3 and give Joe Blow a reason to rent first.

funkyryno 07-16-02 01:52 AM

In my old hometown of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, (pop. about 30,000) the only blockbuster store closed about six years ago. A guy who worked there said it was because competition was too tough with the local stores and the local Hastings store.

I only wish they had Hastings in the Seattle area. Those stores ruled.

UAIOE 07-16-02 02:19 AM

Originally posted by kilcher
You guys may think this is funny now but I doubt you'll be laughing later. The way I see this playing out (and I could be wrong) is that Blockbuster will increase the pressure to get that rental window they've been wanting. And I'll bet they succeed.
Yeah i can see it now:

"Umm Mr. Movie studio, i realize your making millions of dollars off selling these DVD's to consumers but could you stop doing that and go back to a rental window so we can make millions as well?"

Brian Shannon 07-16-02 07:37 AM

The sooner Blockbuster goes under the better!

starving dvder 07-16-02 07:43 AM

Average 15 dvd's a Year?? I don't think they have heard of us hardcore dvd addicts yet.

LBPound 07-16-02 08:49 AM

Blockbuster can take their "Are You Really Going to Watch That DVD More Than Once?" slogan and stick it where the sun don't shine...Hoo-Hah!

cooper2000 07-16-02 09:54 AM

Glad others feel the way I do.
Go away Blockbuster. Its like the school bully that finally has to be given a big bunch so he goes away.

I think there pre viewed movies are way too much too. There like 17.00 for a used copy. You can get a new one for that.