Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster Threatened Now By Major Retail Chains

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Blockbuster Threatened Now By Major Retail Chains

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-02, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noting that the average owner of a DVD player buys about 15 DVDs a year
I think I've bought thirty since May. I almost never go to Blockbuster if I can help it; just to get new releases that I can't wait three months to get from Netflix. And even then, they're often out, so I go to Hollywood video. Which is another complaint for another thread.

Still, maybe this will shock Blockbuster out of it's "You mean people actually care about aspect ratios?" stupor.
Old 07-16-02, 10:15 AM
Banned

I love it when a video rental place that doesn't rent p0rn goes out of business. Good bye and good riddance Blockbuster!
Old 07-16-02, 11:25 AM

The only time I give Blockbuster any money is when they have previously viewed discs on sale. And then only when I can get the ones I want for $10 or less on average.
So I won't miss them when they go bye-bye.
Old 07-16-02, 11:25 AM
Suspended

The issue of rental pricing is apparently dead. If Blockbuster is counting on this from the studios to save their ass they better start thinking of some new strategies. The DVD sell through model is the studios newest and most profitable cash cow. It appears that when the DVD market was small, there was some serious consideration from some of the studios(some even adopted rental pricing in non-Region 1) to enter into rental pricing agreements. Now that the DVD market has exploded and consumers are buying discs in huge numbers(despite Blockbusters efforts to dissuade people from buying instead of renting), the "cat is already out of the bag". The studios are not, at this point, inclined to mess with the current formula for success to save Blockbuster or anyone else. Just my take on the subject.
Old 07-16-02, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Goodbye and good riddance. Ballbuster can ki$$ my a$$. They screwed me over once and I told them to say goodbye to my money. I guess they will have to learn what customer satisfaction means because they sure don't now. This news made my week!!
Old 07-17-02, 03:34 AM

If you walk into a best buy lately, they are agressively pushing Netflix, and bashing Blockbuster.. Times are not good for them..
Old 07-17-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
"oooohhh happy daaaaay."

If Netflix Express (Netflix inside grocery stores... the only one in the country is 5 mins away from me ) takes off, good bye Blockbuster and Hollywood Video.
Old 07-17-02, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Blockbuster better pucker up and start kissing some serious ass if they want to survive.
Old 07-18-02, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

*sigh* I've had to go on a budget lately and I will be lucky to buy 15 dvd's in two years....
Old 07-18-02, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by UAIOE
Blockbuster better pucker up and start kissing some serious ass if they want to survive.
Actually, you should see what Blockbuster is planning to do to survive. It's pretty damn scary. You have been warned.
Old 07-18-02, 09:53 AM

Actually, you should see what Blockbuster is planning to do to survive. It's pretty damn scary. You have been warned.

Well, if this is true, there goes any chance I'd ever visit Blockbuster ever again. Sheesh.
Old 07-18-02, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by calhoun07
That's amazing. And I have to agree with those folks. Adding an additional cash register and maybe training their employees (a) care about customer service and (b) know at least a little something about movies, how the registers work, basic math skills.... that would go a long way to improving the experience. I'm sure there are some great, smart, friendly people working for Blockbuster, but they never seem to be the ones that I get, that's for sure.

Does anyone walk into ANY video rental store to have "fun"? I thought the whole point was to get a movie and get home as quickly as possible, so you can have "fun" there. Good selection, clean stores, helpful and polite employees, competitive prices -- these are the sort of things that people want in a rental store. Is it really rocket science?

I already avoid Blockbuster for the most part (except when they have amazing promotions or a free rental coupon, probably once or twice a year). But the day I'm in there looking for a movie and they scream out a scavanger hunt over the intercom... well, that'll be my last day in a Blockbuster. And I'm going to really lose my temper if they have the employees telling jokes to me in line instead of actually trying to speed up the line and get me home.
Old 07-18-02, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Another reason I haven't used Lackluster since 1995.
Old 07-19-02, 10:02 AM
Banned

Originally posted by calhoun07

And it should do wonders for employee morale and employee retention.

Old 07-22-02, 09:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
the problem is that blockbuster's business is going straight to Walmart. As much as I hate blockbuster, I think it is the lesser of the 2 evils.